1l, Overwhelmed with supplements.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: 1l, Overwhelmed with supplements.

Postby 071816 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:What about Black's Law Dictionary? I read in a prep book that all students should have one. Will Google suffice or is it worth investing in one?

google is more than sufficient for this kind of stuff. the less crap you have to buy, the better.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

chimp wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:What about Black's Law Dictionary? I read in a prep book that all students should have one. Will Google suffice or is it worth investing in one?

google is more than sufficient for this kind of stuff. the less crap you have to buy, the better.

This, mostly. I had a Black's for my write-on competition (we could not use digital-anything) and I think I used it maybe once or twice, though even then it was just to make sure on something I was 99% sure on anyways. But definitely don't buy it now and I would probably lean away from even getting it for write-ons (which you shouldn't be worried about for a long time anyways).

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
chimp wrote:

This, mostly. I had a Black's for my write-on competition (we could not use digital-anything) and I think I used it maybe once or twice, though even then it was just to make sure on something I was 99% sure on anyways. But definitely don't buy it now and I would probably lean away from even getting it for write-ons (which you shouldn't be worried about for a long time anyways).

Awesome, money saved. Once again, TLS proves more helpful than 0L prep books.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Your free Westlaw account through school has full access to Black's online.

All of those prep books were written by people who went to school back in the day, so lots of shit is out of date.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:57 pm

bdubs wrote:

Your free Westlaw account through school has full access to Black's online.

All of those prep books were written by people who went to school back in the day, so lots of shit is out of date.

Yeah one of them I could tell was written prior to frequent computer usage and had been edited to sound up to date. So while they talked about taking exams on the computer, they kept saying stuff like, "make sure to bring a huge supply of pens!" and "make sure to write legibly!" As if these sloppy oversights weren't enough, they had a fucking typo in the sentence urging the importance of proofreading your exam/using spell check if available. All credibility: lost.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:03 pm

I used a combination of hornbooks, E&Es, and High Court summaries. I barely looked at the actual casebooks. I finished #1, FWIW. You'll figure it out as you go along.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

I used mine once. Then I figured out Lexis (or westlaw, can't remember) has one online.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Westlaw has Black's online.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”