1L FALL/SPRING INTERNSHIP

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hopper123

1L FALL/SPRING INTERNSHIP

Postby hopper123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi All,
I just wanted to ask how does one go about applying for jobs for a fall/spring internship where the employer asks for proof of credit? I want to apply for an internship for the fall during my 1L year and I can't find anything on my law school's site about receiving credit for an internship.... In fact, I don't give a damn about earning credit, I just want to work for this industry badly (for free). Any advice on how to approach this internship application? Did anyone work during 1L fall for free?

bdubs

Re: 1L FALL/SPRING INTERNSHIP

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:17 pm

You should absolutely not be doing and internship during your 1L Fall.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:20 pm

bdubs wrote:You should absolutely not be doing and internship during your 1L Fall.

Why not?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm

hopper123 wrote:
bdubs wrote:You should absolutely not be doing and internship during your 1L Fall.

Why not?

You won't have time, ABA rules won't allow you to, your grades and focus might suffer, there is no point because any work you can get during 1L Fall is never going to lead to full time employment.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 pm

bdubs wrote:
hopper123 wrote:

Why not?

You won't have time, ABA rules won't allow you to, your grades and focus might suffer, there is no point because any work you can get during 1L Fall is never going to lead to full time employment.

Let's say grades are of no importance. I don't care about full-time employment--I just want to try out the industry. It's max 15 hours a week, so it would fit the ABA rules.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:40 pm

How about an externship of some form?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:40 pm

hopper123 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
hopper123 wrote:

Why not?

Let's say grades are of no importance. I don't care about full-time employment--I just want to try out the industry. It's max 15 hours a week, so it would fit the ABA rules.

You're retarded for going to law school. Just get a job as a paralegal if you want to "try out the industry."

You won't be doing associate level work Fall of 1L, so a paralegal job is just as good.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:41 pm

i don't think he's talking about a legal internship, brolo

probably gonna be hard to get law school credit for a non-legal internship, though

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:48 pm

bdubs wrote:You're retarded for going to law school. Just get a job as a paralegal if you want to "try out the industry."

You won't be doing associate level work Fall of 1L, so a paralegal job is just as good.

Why would I be retarded for going to law school if I want to work for a legal department of a particular industry?

So why wouldn't you work in the legal industry during your 1L year if you didn't care about ABA rules. Also, this internship has many different branches within it, so I could technically do legal. The question is how do you get credit during your 1L year, or some form of document where everyone agrees that this internship is free?

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:44 pm

bumpZ!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 pm

You probably won't get credit because you can't pick your 1L courses, but it shouldn't be hard to find an internship that would take you without requiring credit. There was a message that went out from my CDO about a 5 hour a week opportunity. That may not be what you were looking for in terms of an internship, but it's enough to try things out and see what you like without being overwhelmed. Last year when I was a 1L I worked 8 hours a week, twice a week for four hours - it wasn't tiring at all and when exams came around they were cool about me stopping a month before finals.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:06 pm

I would strongly encourage you to wait until at least the Spring to do any internship. You should really focus on grades and acclimating yourself to law school this fall.

If you don't do well, it won't matter what internship you did (unless you've got a guaranteed job waiting for you).

But listen, you're supposed to be an adult at this point, so if you're dead set on it -- by all means.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Chances are you will be working an internship for free during the 1L summer. You can probably do the same thing for all semesters 2L/3L. There is really no reason to do it 1L, it won't add anything. I am doing externships perhaps for the next two years (this coming year for sure), but I would not have chosen to do it for 1L, it really provides no benefit.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”