Working during 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BlueLotus

Working during 1L?

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Last edited by BlueLotus on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozymandias

Re: Working during 1L?

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 pm

That is completely doable. If you want to, go ahead. I personally enjoyed taking Saturdays off completely, but it won't interfere with your 1L schedule so long as you can take off the days before legal writing assignments are due and probably the month or so before finals.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Ozymandias wrote:That is completely doable. If you want to, go ahead. I personally enjoyed taking Saturdays off completely, but it won't interfere with your 1L schedule so long as you can take off the days before legal writing assignments are due and probably the month or so before finals.

Agreed.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't know that I ever did law school work on a Saturday during 1L, except during finals and the weekend before an LRW assignment was due. However, I know some people who found Saturday to be a vital part of their studying habits. Would it be possible for you to do a couple weeks of law school before making a decision? I personally think a part-time job during 1L is doable, but whether it's a good idea really depends on how you personally work during 1L.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I don't know that I ever did law school work on a Saturday during 1L, except during finals and the weekend before an LRW assignment was due. However, I know some people who found Saturday to be a vital part of their studying habits. Would it be possible for you to do a couple weeks of law school before making a decision? I personally think a part-time job during 1L is doable, but whether it's a good idea really depends on how you personally work during 1L.

Thanks, sounds like a good plan. I'll test the waters and see if I can manage in light of how I personally work during 1L.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 am

Just out of curiosity: how does one get an internship in their fall 1L year if the employer asks that the school provide a document that the intern will receive credit for the internship? I can't even find anything on my law school website about getting credit for a fall/spring semester legal internship (or not even legal).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:16 pm

hopper123 wrote:Just out of curiosity: how does one get an internship in their fall 1L year if the employer asks that the school provide a document that the intern will receive credit for the internship? I can't even find anything on my law school website about getting credit for a fall/spring semester legal internship (or not even legal).

ABA set the rules for 1L curriculum, each school have different rules on how to comply with the rules. Ask your registrar.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm in my 3rd week as a 1L and I am working about 6-8 hours a week. My job is really flexible and relevant to what I want to do after law school. I can basically bring and do homework too as long as I am on top of my work stuff. I would say that it is pretty overwhelming at first, but it also means that you lose more time on the weekends to do reading for school. I get off of class early on Fridays so I put in about 3-4 hours on Fridays then 3-4 hours on Saturday mornings. Tell your boss that the first month or so might require working less hours since you'll have to adjust to the workload.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”