The Law School Girlfriend- Advice Wanted

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: The Law School Girlfriend- Advice Wanted

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:If he loses the scholarship he needs to drop the fuck out. Whether its C-M or Case, those schools have pretty bad employment prospects.

wants to work in fuckin cleveland, not DAT V100. wtf breh

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:54 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If he loses the scholarship he needs to drop the fuck out. Whether its C-M or Case, those schools have pretty bad employment prospects.

WTF is that, statistically, he's unlikely to land a job as an attorney, much less at DAT V100.

ETA: Just kidding. OP's boyfriend has a whopping 56% chance at being an attorney at C-M according to LST.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

WTF is that, statistically, he's unlikely to land a job as an attorney, much less at DAT V100.

ETA: Just kidding. OP's boyfriend has a whopping 56% chance at being an attorney at C-M according to LST.

Yeah I don't think Rad was being harsh. Especially if it's CM.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:14 pm

1L will feel like a vacation compared to when he loses his scholarship.

Stay tuned for Jenna's next thread - "The Debtor's Prison Girlfriend- Advice Wanted."

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Ozymandias wrote:1L will feel like a vacation compared to when he loses his scholarship.

Stay tuned for Jenna's next thread - "The Debtor's Prison Girlfriend- Advice Wanted."

http://www.top-penal-colonies.com

Jenna

Postby Jenna » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Okay guys I think we're losing sight of why I posted in the first place. Thanks for everyone who actually gave me advice, and so long :)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Jenna wrote:Okay guys I think we're losing sight of why I posted in the first place. Thanks for everyone who actually gave me advice, and so long :)

It seems like 50% of relationships end in law school. The ones that didn't seemed to have a very supportive partner who was willing to let things ride and put up with the freakouts and huge swaths of time without contact. Good luck to you both.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Jenna wrote:And we actually both want to work in Cleveland, which is why he chose to attend school there. And we knew he needed a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, but it covers almost 90% of his tuition so it seemed reasonable. What we didn't know is that the profs aren't allowed to give more than 10% of students As, which makes attaining such a high gpa even harder.

Serious response time:

Send your boyfriend to this page.

And then to this page.

And finally, to this page.

Thanks Patrick, I needed those myself.

Jenna, you sound like a good LS GF already. Just keep doing what you're doing.

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Jenna wrote:I was surprised as well Patrick and thanks anyways but I'm not interested in breaking things off.

And dingbat, I just don't know what to expect, and what I need to do to help him. He has started a few of his classes and when he tells me how scared/nervous he feels, all I can say is 'I believe in you, yes it will be hard but you can do it'. I feel kinda helpless not being able to do anything. In his first class the prof said she can only give A's to 10% of students and if they can pull off a 3.0 that is quite a feat. He needs a 3.2 to maintain his scholarship, which we really need. I understand that we won't be able to talk on the phone for hours and my visits will probably consist of cleaning his apartment and taking care of things he doesn't have time for (like stocking him up on leftovers). I just feel like I should be saying/doing something more to help, because he has barely started and all I hear about are the nerves and how hard everything is.

Haha and I'm not in Texas, Ohio actually, and we've decided to postpone all ring/marriage talks until we both graduate so we can focus on school.

GFs do this!? I got married too soon. Shoulda sandbagged that ring.

tmberry

Postby tmberry » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:37 am

Jenna,

My boyfriend & I have been doing long distance a little more than 7 months now. I just finished my last semester of undergrad in Georgia, and he just completed his first semester of law school in Virginia. Now I won't lie to you, it does get tough, however you have to trust that he loves you! You also have the advantage that he is only 4 hours away, not 12. If he has said he wants to be with you for the long haul, believe it! My boyfriend and I have talked about that & now I am moving to Virginia. Also, if he doesn't answer his phone right away or call back immediately...he is studying!!! (or drinking, they do a lot of that in law school). The one thing you can do is cheer him on, be a support system. He is going to be stressed out, so be an encouragement, send care packages....remind him how proud you are of him & that he is doing a great job! Make sure you are involved with know what his classes are, asking about how they are going...like I said, be an encouragement! Your boyfriend WILL be frustrated at times, let him be! Lastly during finals don't talk to him. Let him study... I promise he is studying! First year finals are very important so you need to let him contact you or if you really want to contact him send him a text that says "have a great day. Good luck studying. I love you" (Or something along those lines). It's tough but when you truly love someone this is only an obstacle to make you stronger!! Hopefully this helps!

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Jenna's probably moved on at this point :lol:

MONSTERSQUAD

Postby MONSTERSQUAD » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 am

Jenna wrote:
top30man wrote:That's not a bad deal as long as he maintains te scholarship. Does he have a plan of he doesn't keep it?

If he loses it we're gonna pick up the slack with money we have saved up and loans. But it will be a lot of slack to pick up, and we while scrimp as much as possible, at the end of the day we're two broke college kids lol. Loans are terrifying but we have accepted that he will be in debt after school. Luckily I won't be, and I work 3 jobs at school so I can save money while he focuses on school. Obviously he is gonna try to keep the scholarship, but even if he does we need to save up as much money as possible and just prepare for the worst while he works for the best.

I will make a $500 bet right now that Jenna's boyfriend loses his scholarship, mooches off her 3-job income through the rest of law school, and breaks up with her within 6 months of passing the bar.

presh

Postby presh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:04 am

Y'all realize this thread is from two years ago, right?

MONSTERSQUAD

Postby MONSTERSQUAD » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 am

presh wrote:Y'all realize this thread is from two years ago, right?

:oops:

drevo

Postby drevo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah someone created an account and their first (and only so far) post was to necro a two year old thread about being a good LS girlfriend...wut :?: :?:

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 pm

drevo wrote:

Yeah someone created an account and their first (and only so far) post was to necro a two year old thread about being a good LS girlfriend...wut :?: :?:

Thought that was weird, too. Maybe the thread came up in a Google search, and she just HAD to create an account to post her two cents'?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”