For classes where there's no computer allowed Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gregfootball2001

Silver

For classes where there's no computer allowed

Post by gregfootball2001 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Have a couple of classes where there's no computer allowed. For these, have y'all found it easier to handwrite your notes, and then type everything into an outline later? Or did you type your notes at home, print em out every time, and bring em to class? Printing out before every class seems very annoying, but I feel like I can take notes on my reading much more easily on the computer. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Last edited by gregfootball2001 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben4847

Silver

Re: For classes where there's no computer allowed

Post by ben4847 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:37 pm

1. Avoid like plague.
2. I did the reading like an animal; printed my reading notes, and took small notes with pen on side of my reading notes. Then, I immediately outlined each class afterwards. I had an almost perfect exam, acc to prof.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Do you have any reason for "avoiding like the plague" any handwritten notes? I plan on doing that, for all my classes actually. Not bringing a computer cuts down on the instances where you'll be distracted the whole class.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:06 pm

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:Do you have any reason for "avoiding like the plague" any handwritten notes? I plan on doing that, for all my classes actually. Not bringing a computer cuts down on the instances where you'll be distracted the whole class.
Look, whatever works for you. I find it much easier to take good notes on a computer, and then they are also organized and searchable.
As far as distraction, just get a little bit of will power. Just stop doing other stuff during class.

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Do professors who disallow computers in class allow/disallow computers on exams?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 pm

seahawk32 wrote:Do professors who disallow computers in class allow/disallow computers on exams?
I don't know any schools that still do handwritten exams, that would be truly hellish.

Professors ban computers during class so people aren't playing scrabble or shopping or on fb or whatever. I take handwritten notes and they work out fine, but then again I don't take reading notes anymore.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 pm

I had a 1L class like this, so dropping out was not an option. No computers during class ever, but computers during exam. I seriously would type out my notes, bite the bullet and pay to print them out, and make any corrections to those notes with pen in class. For what its worth, you should really go through your notes after each class for 10-15 minutes if possible... Just make the corrections on your outline during this time and do your best with the hand you were dealt.

EDIT: If you are okay taking hand notes, I did this 95% of my first semester of 1L (did not have a laptop until finals). Second semester I took notes on a computer... same grades in doctrinal courses.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Detrox wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:Do professors who disallow computers in class allow/disallow computers on exams?
I don't know any schools that still do handwritten exams, that would be truly hellish.

Professors ban computers during class so people aren't playing scrabble or shopping or on fb or whatever. I take handwritten notes and they work out fine, but then again I don't take reading notes anymore.
I met a woman who goes to FAMU law and she said they have to Bluebook all their exams. Sounds like hell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”