International Edition Textbook

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shredderrrrrr

International Edition Textbook

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 am

Has any TLSer ever bought an international edition of a textbook/have advice on doing so? I found the book online and it is the same in every way to the one assigned but, when determining why it was so much cheaper, I read that it was an international edition. Googling has led me to believe this means it will be the same book only with lower production quality.

I'm interested in doing this since it would make a $200 book cost only $35 (can't buy used as it is a brand new edition) but dont want to make a dumb mistake, ecspecially heading into 1L. Any thoughts?

tacofreedom

Re: International Edition Textbook

Postby tacofreedom » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:40 am

I can't speak to law textbooks. However, while in undergrad I purchased the international editions of a few textbooks and was very pleased. Generally, the main differences were: (1) softcover as opposed to hard, (2) black and white as opposed to color text and images, (3) thinner pages, and (4) price! If you can deal with these differences, I would say go for it. To my knowledge, the content was exactly the same.

If you are really nervous, why don't you buy both the international and domestic versions and compare them. If they turn out to be the same, return the domestic textbook.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”