Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shredderrrrrr

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:This is srs... Please give any legit critiques, other than on love life. Lool. It's kind of tough synthesizing all the diff strategies and I was hoping for some comments from TLS 1L super stars.

I'm a 0L starting in two weeks, but this seems like total overkill. Studying 9am-10pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK? That is insane.

that's what I did.

Edit: well class was 9am till 4pm, 30 mins of relaxation, reading, dinner, then more reading. usually finished the reading around 11ish. Last 45 days of the semester was a lot more intense though.

I can get that for M-Th, but on Friday, Saturday and Sunday? It just seems counter-productive to never have a break.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:24 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:This is srs... Please give any legit critiques, other than on love life. Lool. It's kind of tough synthesizing all the diff strategies and I was hoping for some comments from TLS 1L super stars.

I'm a 0L starting in two weeks, but this seems like total overkill. Studying 9am-10pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK? That is insane.

that's what I did.

Edit: well class was 9am till 4pm, 30 mins of relaxation, reading, dinner, then more reading. usually finished the reading around 11ish. Last 45 days of the semester was a lot more intense though.

I can get that for M-Th, but on Friday, Saturday and Sunday? It just seems counter-productive to never have a break.

Like I said, I let the work dictate my schedule. I took a friday night off here and there. But for the most part I'd work until 9pm on weekend nights. About 45 days out from finals I'd crank it up. Id make sure to take an hour break every so often to avoid burn out during a single session.

Usually, i'd work on LRW assignments/reviewing my notes on saturdays early on in the semester. Later, I'd spend saturdays outlining. Sundays were always spent doing reading for monday. Fridays early on were for review, then I used them for outlining.

Overall, I'd say I was more intense than I needed to be. But I'd rather do more and get the grades I did rather than do less and wonder what could have been if I didn't get the grades I wanted.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:44 am

Exactly the mindset of what I'm going for ^^. 9-10 may be too extreme. But 9-9 with lifting/cardio 5x a week and 7 hours sleep per night is sustainable for 102 days. It wont be fun but then you have a whole month to chillllll. Repeat one time. And you're done. Never wonder what could have been, even its a bit overkill-- but then again 1L is the most important year of your legal career.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:49 am

drbarry987 wrote:Exactly the mindset of what I'm going for ^^. 9-10 may be too extreme. But 9-9 with lifting/cardio 5x a week and 7 hours sleep per night is sustainable for 102 days. It wont be fun but then you have a whole month to chillllll. Repeat one time. And you're done. Never wonder what could have been, even its a bit overkill-- but then again 1L is the most important year of your legal career.

Over winter break you shouldn't be chillin the whole time, you should be applying for 1L summer jobs. Especially if you want a 1L SA (although those apps should go out earlier than break).

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:52 am

Jesus Christ, why are people remotely encouraging this? See this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=162799 and the number of users posting that it worked for them. Myself included.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 am

I'll be applying for jerbs over break but it'll be 90%+ chillin. Already got my CLs and resume up to date and in accordance with OCS (got a copy of guidelines from a 2/3L) so mass mailing shouldn't be a big deal. Ready to pull the trigger on 1L SA mass mail 12/1 but not getting my hopes up.

What I was trying to say is that anyone who can get into a T6 likely has the endurance to grind hard for 16 weeks, especially given that you only need to do it 2x in your law school career Hell, that 9-9 plan is prolly only what, 250 billable hours a month? I've talked to several lawyers who billed far far more than that during a big trial/ deal closing and they STILL managed to cop fitness gains. Again, I'm not saying the vast majority of people can't get by with much less work, but it's a personal choice brahs. I posted this more to get tactical feedback on reading a week in advance vs just a day ahead, specific tips, etc.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am

drbarry987 wrote:I'll be applying for jerbs over break but it'll be 90%+ chillin. Already got my CLs and resume up to date and in accordance with OCS (got a copy of guidelines from a 2/3L) so mass mailing shouldn't be a big deal. Ready to pull the trigger on 1L SA mass mail 12/1 but not getting my hopes up.

What I was trying to say is that anyone who can get into a T6 likely has the endurance to grind hard for 16 weeks, especially given that you only need to do it 2x in your law school career Hell, that 9-9 plan is prolly only what, 250 billable hours a month? I've talked to several lawyers who billed far far more than that during a big trial/ deal closing and they STILL managed to cop fitness gains. Again, I'm not saying the vast majority of people can't get by with much less work, but it's a personal choice brahs. I posted this more to get tactical feedback on reading a week in advance vs just a day ahead, specific tips, etc.

You are dense. It's not about endurance. It's about whether your plan is the right plan. People are saying you need to carefully dig a small whole plant a flower and you are saying, "anyone who got into a T6 can use a backhoe to dig a hole."

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:20 pm

LeDique wrote:Jesus Christ, why are people remotely encouraging this? See this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=162799 and the number of users posting that it worked for them. Myself included.

This is what I used. Top 1/3, preftigeous internship, 2ndary journal, job at a firm, and lots of social time except for finals. easy peasy.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm

kwais wrote:You are dense. It's not about endurance. It's about whether your plan is the right plan. People are saying you need to carefully dig a small hole, plant a flower and you are saying, "anyone who got into a T6 can use a backhoe to dig a hole."

+1

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:
kwais wrote:You are dense. It's not about endurance. It's about whether your plan is the right plan. People are saying you need to carefully dig a small hole, plant a flower and you are saying, "anyone who got into a T6 can use a backhoe to dig a hole."

+1

agree 100%. working for the sake of work is dumb. plans are dumb. However, I definitely don't think people should avoid putting in the long hours if they think their workload demands it.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:50 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

+1

agree 100%. working for the sake of work is dumb. plans are dumb. However, I definitely don't think people should avoid putting in the long hours if they think their workload demands it.

Fair nuff. When legal writing assignments happened, I would put in a 70 hour week. And finals was 4 70 hour weeks in a row.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

+1

Fair nuff. When legal writing assignments happened, I would put in a 70 hour week. And finals was 4 70 hour weeks in a row.

the finals thing I kinda get, but 70 hour week for legal writing? :shock: That was a few afternoons in the library for me, did fine. Maybe tougher at your school

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:16 pm

This is the one and only time that I'm thankful Chicago has graded LWR because it means I will never run into OP.

Also ty for below, I can do that schedule.
Starscream15 wrote:Here is a revised study plan for serious -

1. Read your assignments as assigned and don't fall behind.
2. Go to class and actually take notes. Don't surf the web in class until 2L yr. (I know this is impossible but try)
3. Every two weeks or so compile your notes into outline form. This will help when studying for finals.
4. Go to Bar Review with your classmates. Get to know them. Investing in relationships might get you a job one day. Also gossip keeps you informed and someone might actually tell you something about a class or schedule or due date you overlooked.
5. Do your homework/briefs every night but stop so you can eat dinner and watch Sports Center. (You need to be able to talk about something other than class with your classmates/family)
6. Workout/Sex/Hobby (Your choice but at least 3 times a week)
7. Study with some friends/group on weekdays only but don't camp in the library until midnight. See #5
8. Take Sat or Sun and do something fun like watch a movie. Breaks are good. It prevents fatigue and burnout.
9. Consume alcohol. See #4.

Studying is important but no one likes gunners. The #1 reason a person gets an A in a class is because they listened to the professor and wrote the exam exactly as the professor directed you to. I appreciate your dedication OP, but you are overdoing it.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 pm

One thing that blows my mind about these kind of threads is how many people try to act like many, if not most, students don't study to this extent. It's one of the things I've hated most about law school. People are incredibly disinegenuous and fake.

presh

Postby presh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Last edited by presh on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:45 pm

presh wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:One thing that blows my mind about these kind of threads is how many people try to act like many, if not most, students don't study to this extent. It's one of the things I've hated most about law school. People are incredibly disinegenuous and fake.

You think people put in as much study time as the OP suggests but lie about it?

Are you serious?

presh

Postby presh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Last edited by presh on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 pm

presh wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
presh wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:One thing that blows my mind about these kind of threads is how many people try to act like many, if not most, students don't study to this extent. It's one of the things I've hated most about law school. People are incredibly disinegenuous and fake.

You think people put in as much study time as the OP suggests but lie about it?

Are you serious?

Yeah. I'm not sure whether I'm reading your post correctly. At my law school (T1 but not Top 14), I knew a handful of people that studied that much or came close, but that's it. I'm just wondering if your experience is that different from mine or if you were being facetious.

Obviously he would be at the top in terms of study time, but he would defintely not be anywhere near by himself at my school. Honestly, most people study to the same exten that an associate would be working at a big firm (i.e 12 hours a day).

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:55 pm

BruceWayne wrote: Obviously he would be at the top in terms of study time, but he would defintely not be anywhere near by himself at my school. Honestly, most people study to the same exten that an associate would be working at a big firm (i.e 12 hours a day).

no

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:04 pm

kwais wrote:
BruceWayne wrote: Obviously he would be at the top in terms of study time, but he would defintely not be anywhere near by himself at my school. Honestly, most people study to the same exten that an associate would be working at a big firm (i.e 12 hours a day).

no

LMAO right. All those books like OneHell Lawschoolconfidential and movies like the Paper Chase etc. just pulled that out of thin air. I swear, like I said before this has been one of the most annoying things about law school. People are just crazy fake.

Another thing that is really interesting about this topic is that people like to drop common sense and just go off of the bullshit that is spouted on this website about it.

Step back and think about it for a minute. The average median ugrad GPA at a top 14 is north of a 3.8. A plurality of the kids attending went to an ivy or an non ivy top undergrad. Many went to the nation's top prep schools for high school. The job market is absolute trash for legal grads and everyone knows it. But naaaw just like TLS says people aren't studying this hard bro--chill out--LMAO!!!!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Last edited by thederangedwang on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:22 pm

thederangedwang wrote:^despite my best efforts and re-reading your post 3 times,I failed to understand any of the three paragraphs you wrote

I'll summarize: based on their stats and backgrounds, students at top schools are likely type A/competitive people. The economy only exacerbates these traits. Therefore, they are probably lying when they say they don't study 10+ hours a day.

I think it's a [un]healthy mix. Some people barely study while others kill themselves. Most are in the middle.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 am

BruceWayne wrote:
kwais wrote:

no

LMAO right. All those books like OneHell Lawschoolconfidential and movies like the Paper Chase etc. just pulled that out of thin air. I swear, like I said before this has been one of the most annoying things about law school. People are just crazy fake.

Another thing that is really interesting about this topic is that people like to drop common sense and just go off of the bullshit that is spouted on this website about it.

Step back and think about it for a minute. The average median ugrad GPA at a top 14 is north of a 3.8. A plurality of the kids attending went to an ivy or an non ivy top undergrad. Many went to the nation's top prep schools for high school. The job market is absolute trash for legal grads and everyone knows it. But naaaw just like TLS says people aren't studying this hard bro--chill out--LMAO!!!!

first of all, you cited the Paper Chase. Huge mistake. Terrible movie, nothing like law school. Second of all, I hung out with a large group of people 1L year, many of whom are now on law revue, who never approached these kinds of hours. Never.
And a lot of these boarding school ivy types, which I am not, did not get there because they are hard core type-A. Many people go on that path because their parents did, or because they have access to it.
I think what is annoying about law school is people like you who hype it up, assume everyone else is lying and generally just have a chip on their shoulder about something that is...just school.
Yes, some people study this hard, but they are the minority and there is little correlation with success.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:23 am

kwais wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
kwais wrote:

no

first of all, you cited the Paper Chase. Huge mistake. Terrible movie, nothing like law school. Second of all, I hung out with a large group of people 1L year, many of whom are now on law revue, who never approached these kinds of hours. Never.
And a lot of these boarding school ivy types, which I am not, did not get there because they are hard core type-A. Many people go on that path because their parents did, or because they have access to it.
I think what is annoying about law school is people like you who hype it up, assume everyone else is lying and generally just have a chip on their shoulder about something that is...just school.
Yes, some people study this hard, but they are the minority and there is little correlation with success.

Counterfactual thinking bro.

How would you test how Person X would do 1L fall semester studying 40hrs/wk vs. how Person X would do 1L fall semester studying 80hrs/wk?

I don't doubt that this work is overkill, and I've talked to several T14 LR peeps who did it with much, much less work. But that's comparing two different people with different aptitudes, typing speeds, processing abilities, etc. Again, it's a personal choice, and I totally get why a lot of people wouldn't want to put in these kind of hours. I really do. But the fact of the matter is that fall 1L semester comprises of 50% of your 1L GPA and is GPA pretty much all that matters for a non-insignificant amount of top flight law firms, i.e. Quinn/S&C.

Personally, I'm going to workout 5x a week, get my 7 hours of sleep per night, and follow the philosophy of Zen Master Xeoh:

"After all, this is 1L. Even if the extra mile only gets you a slight increase in your grades, it was likely worth it. You had no way of knowing your own aptitude and how much effort you would have to give. Play it safe. Do all that you possibly can."

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118545&hilit=Xeoh+notes

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 am

balance is key. i dont think this plan has it. besides its going to take a bit to figure out what you need to know for each class ( based on what your professor wants- because after all,they are the ones that read your exams). then once you know that, augment your reading with supplements. but right now, you are looking at burnout before week 4 of the NFL season.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”