Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Incoming 1L planning my schedule for the fall sem. Read every guide on here plus PLS, LSC, etc. Trying to solidify my game plan. School is a t6 with ungraded LRW so that's why I'm not allocating too much time for LRW in my schedule. Also no reading week. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. TLS has been an amazing resource.


M-Th: Supplement and hypo work, make sure class outline for each substantive class is fully up to date- allocating ~1hr per class per day for this (Fiver and LSC recommendation). Spend time in between class reviewing supplements, hornbooks, and commercial outlines. Meet with study partner(s) exclusively for hypo work NOT to split outlines or review cases (Arrow, PLS). Review LEEWS style mini brief of case before every class but don't sweat cold calls. Complete any LRW assignments. Attend office hours to clarify BLL and glean exam style/format tips (Xeoh). Try and find good outlines from 2/3Ls to follow along in class and supplement home built outline (Arrow).

F-Sun: Complete all assigned reading for the upcoming week, through the following Friday. Read commercial outline before cases, then read cases and mini brief via LEEWS system. (Jaycutler). Type up mini briefs, vs hard copy, to try and boost WPM from current 95 to 120 before December.

Exam Prep: Read GTM 4x throughout semester to really internalize concepts of forks in facts, forks in law, and policy analysis (Scribe). Read once thus far aloud and put my recording on podcast --> iTunes because I'm an auditory learner. Will do LEEWS audio program this weekend and read Delaney's two books next week before orientation. Start practice exams 6 weeks out. Keep condensing master outline into attack outlines --> 1 page check list until the BLL is cold and everything is memorized. Type up BLL over and over to memorize further and up typing WPM (Arrow, maybe Tallon?).

Other: Study 9am to 10pm, 7 days a week (Xeoh, MsCarn). Track productivity in Excel; 50 min on, 10 min off. Lift heavy 3 days a week (Split legs-chest-back) plus two days of 45 min low intensity cardio; take 175g protein a day; get 7 hours sleep (BB Forum - Misc). Don't volunteer in class unless you have a question but never offer unsolicited opinion (general TLS).

Any feedback or advice is very much appreciated guys. I know its kind of ambitious but im ready to go as hard as I can for 16 weeks. Ty very much in advance!!

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:07 pm

You should really be on a 4x week workout schedule. Three days a week is just not aggressive enough.



drbarry987 wrote:Incoming 1L planning my schedule for the fall sem. Read every guide on here plus PLS, LSC, etc. Trying to solidify my game plan. School is a t6 with ungraded LRW so that's why I'm not allocating too much time for LRW in my schedule. Also no reading week. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. TLS has been an amazing resource.


M-Th: Supplement and hypo work, make sure class outline for each substantive class is fully up to date- allocating ~1hr per class per day for this (Fiver and LSC recommendation). Spend time in between class reviewing supplements, hornbooks, and commercial outlines. Meet with study partner(s) exclusively for hypo work NOT to split outlines or review cases (Arrow, PLS). Review LEEWS style mini brief of case before every class but don't sweat cold calls. Complete any LRW assignments. Attend office hours to clarify BLL and glean exam style/format tips (Xeoh). Try and find good outlines from 2/3Ls to follow along in class and supplement home built outline (Arrow).

F-Sun: Complete all assigned reading for the upcoming week, through the following Friday. Read commercial outline before cases, then read cases and mini brief via LEEWS system. (Jaycutler). Type up mini briefs, vs hard copy, to try and boost WPM from current 95 to 120 before December.

Exam Prep: Read GTM 4x throughout semester to really internalize concepts of forks in facts, forks in law, and policy analysis (Scribe). Read once thus far aloud and put my recording on podcast --> iTunes because I'm an auditory learner. Will do LEEWS audio program this weekend and read Delaney's two books next week before orientation. Start practice exams 6 weeks out. Keep condensing master outline into attack outlines --> 1 page check list until the BLL is cold and everything is memorized. Type up BLL over and over to memorize further and up typing WPM (Arrow, maybe Tallon?).

Other: Study 9am to 10pm, 7 days a week (Xeoh, MsCarn). Track productivity in Excel; 50 min on, 10 min off. Lift heavy 3 days a week (Split legs-chest-back) plus two days of 45 min low intensity cardio; take 175g protein a day; get 7 hours sleep (BB Forum - Misc). Don't volunteer in class unless you have a question but never offer unsolicited opinion (general TLS).

Any feedback or advice is very much appreciated guys. I know its kind of ambitious but im ready to go as hard as I can for 16 weeks. Ty very much in advance!!

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:19 pm

The 45 min of cardio is on lifting off days so I'd be in the gym 5x a week for 1hr a day. Assuming changing time and commute to gym, I think it works out to ~10 hr/ week commitment.

What I'm really worried about is if getting through all the case reading from F through Sunday is realistic. I think Jaycutler makes a great point about the merits of freeing up your workweek exclusively for exam prep, hypo work, supplement work, and outlining.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Is this serious?

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Where is the sex in your schedule? Without that, you're just going to spin your wheels after week 4.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Everybody knows sex is crucial to a successful workout routine.

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby ru2486 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:25 pm

BELIEVE ACHIEVE!

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby RSterling » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Is this serious?

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:42 pm

This is srs... Please give any legit critiques, other than on love life. Lool. It's kind of tough synthesizing all the diff strategies and I was hoping for some comments from TLS 1L super stars.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby Lawbro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Not mirin at all misc brah. Come at me

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:49 pm

drbarry987 wrote:This is srs... Please give any legit critiques, other than on love life. Lool. It's kind of tough synthesizing all the diff strategies and I was hoping for some comments from TLS 1L super stars.


I'm a 0L starting in two weeks, but this seems like total overkill. Studying 9am-10pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK? That is insane.

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:52 pm

If serious, then you need to calm down. You will burn out at this pace-if not in the fall then definitely in the spring.

I would look at professor specific practice exams periodically throughout in order to figure out what you should be focusing on.

User avatar
shortporch
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby shortporch » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:55 pm

The best plan is the one that will help you learn the material the best. The fact that you've created a plan before spending a single second in a law school class means that this is not the best plan.

JetsFan1990
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby JetsFan1990 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I would consider having sex, for sure. Also, READ GTM 4X???!!!! hahaha ease up, breh .. if you have to read a book four times over to understand the concepts, you're going to have a hell of a rough time in school.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 pm

I mean, the main problem I see is that you don't seem to have a clear lifting goal. Are you trying to bulk or cut? Also, this schedule is far from being specific enough with regard to diet, depending on your goals. You should tweak the schedule and add a more specific dietary plan, then ask again.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 pm

How you going to concentrate with baby batter in the brain?

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:08 pm

I know all the taggers made it difficult to navigate, but you should read through mscarns post again. He doesn't suggest studying until 10.

I also suggest his recommendation of reading for the following class meeting right after the class, for example, if you have Torts on Monday and Wednesday, read Wednesday's assignment right after Monday's class. Read the following Monday's assignment right after Wednesday's class. Outline Torts on Tuesday and Thursday.

It's going to be tough trying to muster enough motivation to read all of the week's assignments on the weekend, especially toward the end of the semester.

sonnyhodgin
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby sonnyhodgin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:23 pm

SPAM

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks. Yeah not getting through all reading over the weekend might not be realistic. Xeoh suggests reading for the next day everyday including Friday (for M class). Guess I'll try to get through it over the weekend but if I find it spilling over/ not realistic, then change things up.

Re Misc brahs and nutrition- I'll be doing IIFYM making sure to hit 175g of protein while limiting carbs. Plan on clean bulking at 500cals over maintenance during Fall semester then cutting in spring.

presidentk1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby presidentk1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:12 pm

$100 says this whole plan goes out the window before he hits week 2 of the semester

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby splitsplat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:18 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:This is srs... Please give any legit critiques, other than on love life. Lool. It's kind of tough synthesizing all the diff strategies and I was hoping for some comments from TLS 1L super stars.


Studying 9am-10pm EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK? That is insane.

+1
if you are serious about studying, start at 6am and end at midnight.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Reading GTM once is plenty.

Don't read case briefs before reading the cases, especially early in the semester. You have to learn to read fact patters and cases and figure out for yourself what's important.

All the time reading supplements will likely be a waste. You just need to know how your professor teaches the course -- and supplements won't tell you that. A study group you can trust would be a good substitute.

Doing the week's readings ahead of time is a great idea, but you don't need to stick to it religiously.

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby Betharl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Get at least 1 gram of protein per pound body weight and 1 gram (GOOD) fat per kilogram of bodyweight. Fill in the rest with whatever you want until you hit your calorie total. If cutting, hit a calorie deficit of roughly your body fat %. If bulking, shoot for 1 pound of lean gains/week max unless you want to get fat. I'd incorporate some HIIT into your workout, maybe HIIT twice a week and LISS 2-3 times a week if you're at maintenance, if bulking, definetely scale back. If cutting, it depends on body fat % and goals.

As for the studying, I have no idea.

EDIT: I don't have a problem with that split assuming chest = chest + triceps + shoulders, back = back + biceps, and you also do some core stuff. Also, that split works real well for compound lifts, so take full advantage. I think you could be lifting 5-6 times a week though depending on what kind of volume you're doing.

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Ty. So would you recommend reading commercial outlines before reading and mini briefing the cases, in order to get a more macro view of where the law is going, or read the cases first before turning to any outside materials (including commercial outlines), in order to best learn how to extract key materials from the cases yourself?

paintbynumbers
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Please give feedback on my (aggressive) 1L study plan

Postby paintbynumbers » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm an 0L but just got done a jumpstart summer class and I too read all guides on here, LSC, etc. and made an attack plan. However, be prepared to throw it out bc I had to tailor my plan to the professor. I think that you will find the best way to "attack" classes is too wait until 4 weeks in and then reasses.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JPrezy87 and 3 guests