Take unpaid SA or pass for local job during 1L summer? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
always_raining

Bronze

Take unpaid SA or pass for local job during 1L summer?

Post by always_raining » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I hope I posted this in the right place. I'm starting law school next month.

I have a family member who works in the oil industry. She said I could work with her lawyers as an SA in my 1L summer. However, I am 90% certain this will be an unpaid position.

My questions are:

1) Would it really count as an SA if I'm not getting paid (ie should I be writing "intern" on my resume for 2L positions) and does it matter at all? Do law firms like to see SA rather than intern for 1L summer?

2) Would this be a bad decision as far as industry goes? I want to work in a larger law firm when I graduate, and I'm not sure if working as an SA in the oil industry is a mistake or if it doesn't matter at all. I don't want to work in oil after I graduate.

3) I would have to move for this position. Is it better to try to get something near home or to move, seeing as both options would be unpaid (I'm assuming I won't get a paid 1L job)? I am low SES so I was thinking of applying to 1L diversity positions but I'm not banking on it.

Thanks in advance!

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Take unpaid SA or pass for local job during 1L summer?

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm

What do you mean you can work with her lawyers? Like, in an in-house capacity? Also, come back once a decision actually needs to be made (as in, you have an alternative offer).

always_raining

Bronze

Re: Take unpaid SA or pass for local job during 1L summer?

Post by always_raining » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:24 pm

IAFG wrote:What do you mean you can work with her lawyers? Like, in an in-house capacity? Also, come back once a decision actually needs to be made (as in, you have an alternative offer).
Yes, in-house.

Thanks, I guess I'm jumping the gun but she was asking me about it today. I wondered if it's worth it to freak out come finals about finding a job if I could already have one lined up. :oops:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”