Callback timing & etiquette

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
S1mm

Callback timing & etiquette

Postby S1mm » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi guys,

I am wondering about 1) when firms start to issue callbacks post EIW, and 2) whether I need to schedule a callback immediately after receiving an invitation to do so. The reason why I am asking the latter question is because I want to visit my family (out of state) some time between the 18th (when EIW ends) and the 29th (before the semester starts) but I don't want jeopardize my chances for callbacks.

Any advice or personal experiences would be welcome and appreciated!!
Last edited by S1mm on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Re: Callback timing & etiquette (question from NYU student)

Postby chasgoose » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Are you bidding on your home market? If so, then you can schedule a callback and stay a couple extra days to visit your family. Firms don't care how long you stay (although they will only fund hotels for one or two nights max) and asking them to change your travel dates to accommodate a short visit with family is usually a positive as it demonstrates your ties and your desire to be in that market.

S1mm

Postby S1mm » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks!

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah assuming you get a callback in your home market, it's a win win. Free trip home and by staying you demonstrate your ties better than you could in a short interview.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”