Do I need to take a computer to school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SaintsTheMetal

Do I need to take a computer to school

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:21 am

Will I need a laptop to take to school?

As an UG Physics/math major, the thought of using a computer to take notes is completely foreign to me. Whenever I saw someone with a computer in a lolhumanities class they were on facebook or whatever.

I'm very computer proficient and everything, just never saw it as preferable to a notebook for obvious reasons in my major. Is a laptop for note taking, or being able to have your notes open alongside an exam, necessary and/or a distinct advantage for law school? I presume you can use the school's desktops to take an exam, so would it be equally reasonable to just type up whatever these "outline" things are everyone talks about at home, and then bring it to the law school exam's desktop?

JazzOne

Re: Do I need to take a computer to school

Postby JazzOne » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:I presume you can use the school's desktops to take an exam, so would it be equally reasonable to just type up whatever these "outline" things are everyone talks about at home, and then bring it to the law school exam's desktop?

lol

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:43 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Will I need a laptop to take to school?

As an UG Physics/math major, the thought of using a computer to take notes is completely foreign to me. Whenever I saw someone with a computer in a lolhumanities class they were on facebook or whatever.

I'm very computer proficient and everything, just never saw it as preferable to a notebook for obvious reasons in my major. Is a laptop for note taking, or being able to have your notes open alongside an exam, necessary and/or a distinct advantage for law school? I presume you can use the school's desktops to take an exam, so would it be equally reasonable to just type up whatever these "outline" things are everyone talks about at home, and then bring it to the law school exam's desktop?

Duuoode. Not sure if srius.

But if so, yes, get a laptop broheim. You're not in engineering school anymore (maybe too bad though).

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:54 am

JazzOne wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:I presume you can use the school's desktops to take an exam, so would it be equally reasonable to just type up whatever these "outline" things are everyone talks about at home, and then bring it to the law school exam's desktop?

lol

I take it that means this is not a reasonable plan =/ not sure why, but I suppose it will become apparent to me.

To clarify...i meant bringing the "outline" in a digital format via flash drive or whatever, not printing it out and bringing it. I can imagine how much of a godsend CTRL-F could be

Lawquacious wrote:Duuoode. Not sure if srius.

But if so, yes, get a laptop broheim.

yes, totally serious. Thanks
Last edited by SaintsTheMetal on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:04 am

1) There are still people who take handwritten notes. (I usually do handwritten.)
2) You need a laptop to take exams at most all law schools (they don't take everyone to a computer lab to take exams). You could take them by handwriting them, but that's an awful idea. You could also borrow a computer from the library at a lot of schools, but that seems like a huge risk (potentially really slow computer that may crash during an incredibly important 3 or 4 hours).

Suck it up and get a decent laptop. You'll need a reliable one for exams and you'll be happy to have one for legal research & writing when you start writing your memo.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:18 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:To clarify...i meant bringing the "outline" in a digital format via flash drive or whatever, not printing it out and bringing it. I can imagine how much of a godsend CTRL-F could be

lol

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 pm

JazzOne wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:To clarify...i meant bringing the "outline" in a digital format via flash drive or whatever, not printing it out and bringing it. I can imagine how much of a godsend CTRL-F could be

lol

=/

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:33 pm

It's a valid concern. I took notes on a laptop and did well in my first year, but I found myself on gchat or facebook often, and also caught myself just transcribing what the professor was saying on many an occasion. Thus, I plan to do exactly what you suggest this next semester, forcing myself to focus more on what the professor emphasizes instead of taking down EVERYTHING he/she says. Also, the transcribing of your notes onto digital form at home can only help with retention.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:45 pm

heeloftar wrote:It's a valid concern. I took notes on a laptop and did well in my first year, but I found myself on gchat or facebook often,

This is exactly the reason why I bring my laptop TO class

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:26 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

lol

=/

In my experience, you can't use the school's desktops to take exams, and you can't access digital documents during exams. I'm amused because you know so little about law school that you don't even know the right questions to ask. I'll try to be more helpful. You will need a laptop. Take it to class or don't, but you will likely need it for exams. Since exams are the most important thing you'll do all semester, I wouldn't cheap out. Choose something with a suitable keyboard.

Humpty Dumpty

Postby Humpty Dumpty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Will I need a laptop to take to school?

At my school people can do this, and a few did. Ask your school.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 pm

I think two people in my section hand-wrote their exams. That's fine if it's not a time-crunch type exam, but you never know until you open the exam what it'll be like.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:04 pm

I was a Math/Physics major myself and have NO intention of taking notes on a laptop. That said, tests are a different ballgame all together. You want to be infinitely familiar with the equipment you are using for the evaluations that you are using to determine your future job prospects.

LS is a MAJOR investment of time and money. Even a 2K laptop is a drop in the bucket when compared to the other costs associated with school. Don't skimp.

JC

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”