Undergrad with two questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
centerfield

New

Undergrad with two questions

Post by centerfield » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi! I've been a lurker on this site for a couple of weeks now and finally decided to register. I'm really interested into going into corporate law or working for a major professional team (any team in the mlb, nba, mls, and nhl). Anyway, I was wondering what type of law I would have to focus on in order to make this [working for a professional team] even remotely possible. Either way, I really want to attend a T14 school.

My stats:
Rising sophomore (school starts in 3 weeks :o ! )
First generation college student
URM mexican/american ( don't get much need-based financial aid. my parents make about 90k for a family of 5)
LAC in Texas
3.74 GPA , Economics major with a minor in Portuguese (been thinking of adding international affairs or corporate finance)

EC's
School ambassador
SGA Representative
Social fraternity - recruitment chair officer
professional fraternity member
contributing writer to school newspaper

Also, might be founding the univerity's young college democrat group with a fellow economics major

Any thing else I can do in order to increase my chances of attending a T14 or even a T8?

noggo10

New

Re: Undergrad with two questions

Post by noggo10 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

1). Keep up the GPA

2). Get a 170+

3). Considering working for a year or two after school.

4). Go to Harvard Law

Skyblaze

New

Post by Skyblaze » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:37 pm

LSAT.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Aside from what posters above have said (keep the GPA high, try to get above 170), really cultivate your language skills if that's something you're good at. Being fluent in Portugese probably won't do much for helping to get you into a T14, but it will help you get more interviews/job offers once you're in school and looking for a job. The other stuff (your ec's) you can either drop or keep, but if they start to interfere with your GPA, then drop them.

centerfield

New

Post by centerfield » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

so ec's don't weigh as nearly as I thought they did, lol. either way, I really like languages and I am going to start taking russian classes (outside of university so they don't go towards gpa). Also, in order to do a joint degree program JD/MBA or JD/whatever , do you need to take the GRE as well?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:34 pm

centerfield wrote:so ec's don't weigh as nearly as I thought they did, lol. either way, I really like languages and I am going to start taking russian classes (outside of university so they don't go towards gpa). Also, in order to do a joint degree program JD/MBA or JD/whatever , do you need to take the GRE as well?
Yes. But don't do this. Just get a JD or just get an MBA, IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”