MUST SEE PRIOR TO 1L YEAR Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JetsFan1990

Bronze

Re: MUST SEE PRIOR TO 1L YEAR

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How to beat border line retards in exams, by Nick.

LOL at being proud of being waitlisted at Gtown.
hahahahahaha so harsh, yet so true.

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm

This advice isn't new. It can all be found in various threads on this forum.

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Paying $200 for this is a TTTT scam.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm surprised that you recommend taking practice exams from day 1 of a class. How can it be a good use of time to take practice exams on material you haven't read before or been taught? I'm a OL btw, so I'm asking this as a genuine question. Also, I've read elsewhere that it doesn't make sense to start outlining until you are three or four weeks into the semester for the same reason (there's no way to get the big picture when you know so little).

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm

blahblewblah wrote:Paying $200 for this is a TTTT scam.
paying it forward

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 pm

i applaud your creativity

but lol at characterizing this as MUST SEE PRIOR TO 1L YEAR

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Agree there is plenty of better advice for free on this forum. I just hope OP doesn't take other people's work and sell it.

Maybe TLS should start a tour where people give exam taking advice for a few hundred bucks a pop, but that would feel wrong to me.

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:39 pm

sunynp wrote:
Agree there is plenty of better advice for free on this forum. I just hope OP doesn't take other people's work and sell it.

Maybe TLS should start a tour where people give exam taking advice for a few hundred bucks a pop, but that would feel wrong to me.
But how many people on TLS have the distinguished honor of being waitlisted, as a transfer, at Georgetown?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
sunynp wrote:

But how many people on TLS have the distinguished honor of being waitlisted, as a transfer, at Georgetown?
LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:29 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
DuckEUG2010 wrote: (2) non-issue spotter exams? I apologize for my ignorance, but could you explain more about these and how a commercial outline would help more than just knowing 100% of what the professor goes over in lecture?
For one, the kind where you are presented with facts that don't mirror anything you've really done before, so you need to use policy and theory chops to cobble together a prediction about what the law might be.
I also have taken those tests this past year. While the issues are not as readily apparent, they are still there to be found and analyzed. But, again, how does reading cases give you anything over and above the casebriefs online and your notes from lecture? You make it sound like you are not able to know how to synthesize the policies and rules from these materials? If that's the case, I strongly disagree, respectively.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Last edited by 6lehderjets on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm

DuckEUG2010 wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:
DuckEUG2010 wrote: (2) non-issue spotter exams? I apologize for my ignorance, but could you explain more about these and how a commercial outline would help more than just knowing 100% of what the professor goes over in lecture?
For one, the kind where you are presented with facts that don't mirror anything you've really done before, so you need to use policy and theory chops to cobble together a prediction about what the law might be.
I also have taken those tests this past year. While the issues are not as readily apparent, they are still there to be found and analyzed. But, again, how does reading cases give you anything over and above the casebriefs online and your notes from lecture? You make it sound like you are not able to know how to synthesize the policies and rules from these materials? If that's the case, I strongly disagree, respectively.
because profs are lazy and use note cases as exam fact patterns.

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:I'm surprised that you recommend taking practice exams from day 1 of a class. How can it be a good use of time to take practice exams on material you haven't read before or been taught? I'm a OL btw, so I'm asking this as a genuine question. Also, I've read elsewhere that it doesn't make sense to start outlining until you are three or four weeks into the semester for the same reason (there's no way to get the big picture when you know so little).
I appreciate your question. I apologize for not being more clear. There is no value in taking the practice test as far as sitting down with a timer and typing out an answer. I simply read the question then read the professor's answer. I get a broad idea of where the term is going and where I should be by the end. As far as outlining- If you take an outline from a law review member (who took the same course from the same professor the year previously) and use it as your shell. When you go into lecture, type everything the professor says in red, and after class keep condensing as you go. Once you are 3-4 weeks out is when you will start constructing your test outline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:38 pm

I appreciate your opinion.

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 pm

JetsFan1990 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How to beat border line retards in exams, by Nick.

LOL at being proud of being waitlisted at Gtown.
hahahahahaha so harsh, yet so true.
Both the borderline retards and maybe a few regular retards.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:41 pm

You should be ashamed that you are charging people for this.

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm

DuckEUG2010 wrote:
Wakelaw15 wrote:I'm surprised that you recommend taking practice exams from day 1 of a class. How can it be a good use of time to take practice exams on material you haven't read before or been taught? I'm a OL btw, so I'm asking this as a genuine question. Also, I've read elsewhere that it doesn't make sense to start outlining until you are three or four weeks into the semester for the same reason (there's no way to get the big picture when you know so little).
I appreciate your question. I apologize for not being more clear. There is no value in taking the practice test as far as sitting down with a timer and typing out an answer. I simply read the question then read the professor's answer. I get a broad idea of where the term is going and where I should be by the end. As far as outlining- If you take an outline from a law review member (who took the same course from the same professor the year previously) and use it as your shell. When you go into lecture, type everything the professor says in red, and after class keep condensing as you go. Once you are 3-4 weeks out is when you will start constructing your test outline.
But the thing is, at a lot of schools the number of practice tests you have access to is extremely limited. Therefore, it does not seem like a good use of practice test just to see where the semester is going. It would be much better to use the tests later in the semester when you can actually write out the whole test and review the model answer.
Last edited by blahblewblah on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm

why did you transfer?

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
DuckEUG2010 wrote:
But the thing is, at a lot of schools the number of practice tests you have access to is extremely limited. Therefore, it does not seem like a good use of practice test just to see where the semester is going. It would be much better to use the tests later in the semester when you can actually write out the whole test and review the model answer.
My school had many tenured professors who had a test bank that went back 15 years. You would have to judge that on a school by school basis. I definitely agree that once you look at a test and its answer, it becomes less useful to you.

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:You should be ashamed that you are charging people for this.
If you don't want the information, or feel as though you can get it for free elsewhere, go ahead. I'm not making anyone pay for anything. Ashamed? No.

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
sunynp wrote:

It was really exciting for me. I'm sorry that offends you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DuckEUG2010

New

Post by DuckEUG2010 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:53 pm

fatduck wrote:why did you transfer?
There were many reasons. But if I was to narrow it to a few, I would say location, dollars and cents, and the quality of the potential interviews/ student body.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:02 pm

DuckEUG2010 wrote:
blahblewblah wrote:
sunynp wrote:

It was really exciting for me. I'm sorry that offends you.
OL here. As funny as I do find blahblewblah's and others' comments (and I did find them hilarious), I think a congratulations is in order for the OP. I listened to the first minute or so of the video and I think he said he had a 3.2 UGPA and a 152 LSAT and now he's in at GW (with a remote possibility of sneaking in off Gtown's waitlist?). I can't speak to the quality of your advice, but that's pretty impressive and congratulations OP.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

DuckEUG2010 wrote:
There were many reasons. But if I was to narrow it to a few, I would say location, dollars and cents, and the quality of the potential interviews/ student body.
GW is cheaper than your 1L school? :shock:

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 pm

fatduck wrote:
DuckEUG2010 wrote:
GW is cheaper than your 1L school? :shock:
I thought GW is a classic trap school. OP good luck with OCI and getting a job out of GW. I think you should be focusing on getting a @2LSA instead of trying to go with this scam like teaching deal. I'm not a fan of GW, but I hope it works for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”