Smart phones and law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sjwest

Smart phones and law school

Postby sjwest » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:49 pm

So I'm still living in the stone age with a phone with no internet, calendar, etc. I was wondering if anyone found their smart phone to be particularly helpful during law school, whether using flash card apps, being able to email back and forth with professors immediately, traffic alerts for the commute to school, anything really.

I'm going to upgrade when my contract expires, but that's 9 months from now. I am considering paying the early termination fee to upgrade now, but want to know if there will be any law school related benefits.

If it matters, I'll be attending part-time night classes at University of Houston while working full time.

Dr. Review

Re: Smart phones and law school

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 pm

I have an iPhone, but I could get by with a

if I didn't compulsively check my e-mail during job hunting season.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 pm

It's less helpful than IRL because you'll be by a laptop so often it doesn't matter.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:54 pm

It's nice for two things: 1) checking email and calander while walking around so you don't have to stop and whip out the laptop. 2) those classes where profs don't want you to use a computer so you can play games and check facebook so you don't cut yourself and bleed out from boredom.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”