Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ksllaw

Bronze

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by ksllaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

How have the job prospects been for Vanderbilt law grads that you've come aross?

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 pm

ksllaw wrote:How have the job prospects been for Vanderbilt law grads that you've come aross?
hard to say...OCI began Monday and most of us are still waiting for callback results, etc.

greeksalad

New

Post by greeksalad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 am

How difficult is it to break into the DC market?

Geographic job numbers of recent graduates provided by Vandy seem to show a pretty wide dispersal across the country...just wondering if the DC numbers are by choice or by limiting circumstances, i.e. a graduate has to "settle" for Tennessee even if he or she wishes to be in Washington. I guess my question is more about law firms (any size) rather than the USFG, since the hiring freeze limits opportunities there.

Thanks!

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 pm

DC is tough. I think you'd need to be in the top 10-15% to have a solid shot at the mid to big names that come to OCI. Most people have 3.6s and 3.7s.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 am

Bumping this thread, don't even care.

I'm trying to write a heartfelt Why Vandy and want to fawn over a professor or two. I spend a good bit talking about Vandy's relative strength in clerkship placement, so I think it'd make sense to talk about my interest in studying under the FedCourts prof. Anybody know who might be teaching FedCourts in the next couple years? My VLS website digging makes me think it should be either Sherry or Fitzpatrick, but I don't want to guess.

Thanks Vandy Bros.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 pm

North wrote:Bumping this thread, don't even care.

I'm trying to write a heartfelt Why Vandy and want to fawn over a professor or two. I spend a good bit talking about Vandy's relative strength in clerkship placement, so I think it'd make sense to talk about my interest in studying under the FedCourts prof. Anybody know who might be teaching FedCourts in the next couple years? My VLS website digging makes me think it should be either Sherry or Fitzpatrick, but I don't want to guess.

Thanks Vandy Bros.
I'm pretty sure Fitzy is teaching it this Spring, but the two of them switch off pretty regularly. I've only had Sherry but she's awesome.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm

akili wrote:
North wrote:Bumping this thread, don't even care.

Thanks Vandy Bros.
I'm pretty sure Fitzy is teaching it this Spring, but the two of them switch off pretty regularly. I've only had Sherry but she's awesome.
They both seem like really cool professors and generally impressive people. Thanks Akili! That makes this much easier. Here's hoping I get to drag down your GPA median next year.

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:57 pm

How hard to get are Nash mid/biglaw jobs? If you don't get Nashville or (I'm assuming) Atlanta, where else do Vandy grads wind up?

Looking for anecdotal comments.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Stupe wrote:How hard to get are Nash mid/biglaw jobs? If you don't get Nashville or (I'm assuming) Atlanta, where else do Vandy grads wind up?

Looking for anecdotal comments.
INCREDIBLY difficult.

Go ask Vandy CSO for the list of where people got jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 pm

^Disappointing. For me, the whole point of going to Vandy would be getting a Nashville jerb. Otherwise it seems like you're better off going to a) a state school w/ $$ if you want regional work or b) a T14 if you want big law.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Stupe wrote:^Disappointing. For me, the whole point of going to Vandy would be getting a Nashville jerb. Otherwise it seems like you're better off going to a) a state school w/ $$ if you want regional work or b) a T14 if you want big law.
Or you could get into Vandy with money.

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Stupe wrote:^Disappointing. For me, the whole point of going to Vandy would be getting a Nashville jerb. Otherwise it seems like you're better off going to a) a state school w/ $$ if you want regional work or b) a T14 if you want big law.
If you're getting good money from Vandy you've already got pretty killer numbers though, which would probably get you money elsewhere. To me, Vandy's in an awkward stage. Great school, but still not as good nationally as the T14. Dominates the region, but tuition is too fucking high if all you want is something in the region. $150k debt isn't pretty when you're pulling sub-$60k/yr anyway.

Eh, whatever. Vanderbilt is still my #1 target simply because I have no plans of leaving the South. Just wish that shit was cheaper (lol, really just higher education in general).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Stupe wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
If you're getting good money from Vandy you've already got pretty killer numbers though, which would probably get you money elsewhere. To me, Vandy's in an awkward stage. Great school, but still not as good nationally as the T14. Dominates the region, but tuition is too fucking high if all you want is something in the region. $150k debt isn't pretty when you're pulling sub-$60k/yr anyway.

Eh, whatever. Vanderbilt is still my #1 target simply because I have no plans of leaving the South. Just wish that shit was cheaper (lol, really just higher education in general).
If you're above medians you can get some solid ass monies.

Also "national mobility" is a flame. There are a lot of threads about this and ties, so I won't bother explaining that here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 pm

Rad I thought you went to WUSTL?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm

North wrote:Rad I thought you went to WUSTL?
No.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:
North wrote:Rad I thought you went to WUSTL?
No.
Yeah, I was thinking Romo.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:02 pm

I dont know if anyone is still answering questions, but here goes.

What (if any) neighborhoods are good for students with no cars to live in while attending Vanderbilt? Is it possible to get around Nashville in general without a car?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I dont know if anyone is still answering questions, but here goes.

What (if any) neighborhoods are good for students with no cars to live in while attending Vanderbilt? Is it possible to get around Nashville in general without a car?
You can live around school and it's fine, but unless you can split a house w like 4 people, it'll be expensive. Like $800+ even with a roommate.

I suppose you can get a bike and like in Hillsboro Village.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 pm

rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:I dont know if anyone is still answering questions, but here goes.

You can live around school and it's fine, but unless you can split a house w like 4 people, it'll be expensive. Like $800+ even with a roommate.

I suppose you can get a bike and like in Hillsboro Village.
The Americana is the cheapest walking distance option. With a roommate it'd be cheaper than $800. I think it's around $800 is for a 1 bedroom. I do know a few people who live near a med center shuttle stop and use that to get to campus.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 pm

How does Vandy fare for getting biglaw in NYC? Do you have to be near the top of your class or can median or a little bit above get it?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:39 pm

eric922 wrote:How does Vandy fare for getting biglaw in NYC? Do you have to be near the top of your class or can median or a little bit above get it?
If you're just some straight through UG white bro, NYC biglaw will be hard to get unless you are closer to the top of your class (like top third for just a slim shot). The problem is the NYC firms who usually hire people around median and below from Cornell and GULC don't really actively recruit Vandy people.

If you're a desirable minority or have previous WE in NYC specific industries or IP or whatever you can swing NYC big law w lower grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Also "national mobility" is a flame. There are a lot of threads about this and ties, so I won't bother explaining that here.
This is true.

Attending the best school in a given region will get you biglaw in that region if it has biglaw. No school in the T14 will give you an edge in a region over someone from the best law school in that region if the school is T18 for the most part. I live in Texas. This is how it is. I'm sure it's not much different anywhere else. This is anecdotal evidence. But hard numbers don't paint a complete picture. Thus, they're are subject to misguided interpretations assuming that an arbitrary distinction like the classification of schools in the T14 is composed of national schools that have as much sway in foreign states outside a given region as the sway had in the states in those schools' respective regional grasps. Sure, there is a gradual decline in prestige as you go down the rankings for the most part. But there is no abrupt cutoff that, for example, makes Cornell and Northwestern grads more employable in Texas than UT grads. That is just silly. A similar situation is true regarding USC and UCLA in Southern California.
Last edited by utlaw2007 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
eric922 wrote:How does Vandy fare for getting biglaw in NYC? Do you have to be near the top of your class or can median or a little bit above get it?
If you're just some straight through UG white bro, NYC biglaw will be hard to get unless you are closer to the top of your class (like top third for just a slim shot). The problem is the NYC firms who usually hire people around median and below from Cornell and GULC don't really actively recruit Vandy people.

If you're a desirable minority or have previous WE in NYC specific industries or IP or whatever you can swing NYC big law w lower grades.
Looks like I need to shoot for Cornell and the other NYC focused schools then. Thanks.

jwinaz

Bronze

Post by jwinaz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 am

What high-paying jobs does the local market consist of there?

Is there biglaw or midlaw at all? Or do people go out of state for those jobs?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm

jwinaz wrote:What high-paying jobs does the local market consist of there?

Is there biglaw or midlaw at all? Or do people go out of state for those jobs?
Go look at NALPdirectory

Nashville jobs are large and midsize firms are super fucking competitive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”