Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Dayan114 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:50 am

I'm a rising 2L who did well at my CCN (top 10%, LR) while taking 1 day a week off from studying, even during finals. If you are sabbath observant / shomer shabbos / a 7th Day Adventist / what have you and have been stressing over keeping the sabbath during law school, I'm happy to answer questions.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 am

Do you break any of the Jewish rules?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 am

What is your favorite book of the Tanakh? I'm kind of a Bereshit bro myself. Mlakhim was pretty cool too.

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Borg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 am

Why do you choose to be religious, and why Judaism?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 am

Did CLR make calls today?

User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Dayan114 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 am

Borg wrote:Why do you choose to be religious, and why Judaism?


I didn't convert to Judaism, so I don't have a great answer for the second half. I chose to become more observant because it seemed like a more meaningful / intentional way to live, and I really liked the community I found as an undergrad. Not for everyone, obviously, but it works well enough for me.

RadLulz—favorite book is Job/Iyov.

GeePee—no idea (guess that narrows it down a bit).

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby delusional » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 am

I am not an anti-semite. In fact, I have great admiration for the Jew, especially his business acumen. However, I do not understand how Jews can complain about anti-semitism when they refuse to accept the Lord Savior. Can you explain that?

Do you wear that fur hat thingie to class, or what? Also, isn't that cruelty to animals?

Also, are you religious because you believe in certain factual assertions, or because you are part of a community that you like? It was unclear from your last post.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:21 am

Oh man.

User avatar
izy223
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby izy223 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am

Dayan114 wrote:I'm a rising 2L who did well at my CCN (top 10%, LR) while taking 1 day a week off from studying, even during finals. If you are sabbath observant / shomer shabbos / a 7th Day Adventist / what have you and have been stressing over keeping the sabbath during law school, I'm happy to answer questions.


im going to ask an actual question. As a sabbath observant 0L im more nervous about the holidays then sabbath. I assume i can get reading done on saturday (and use post its instead of highighters) and do the bulk of my work the other 6 days, but what did you do about going to class on holidays. This year holidays fall out on the worst possible days monday tuesday and wednesday.

Thanks for posting!

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:42 am

Lol.

OP, how many hours a day would you say you worked? I'm curious as to how you planned on making up for missing a whole day every week.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby dudders » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 am

izy223 wrote:
Dayan114 wrote:I'm a rising 2L who did well at my CCN (top 10%, LR) while taking 1 day a week off from studying, even during finals. If you are sabbath observant / shomer shabbos / a 7th Day Adventist / what have you and have been stressing over keeping the sabbath during law school, I'm happy to answer questions.


im going to ask an actual question. As a sabbath observant 0L im more nervous about the holidays then sabbath. I assume i can get reading done on saturday (and use post its instead of highighters) and do the bulk of my work the other 6 days, but what did you do about going to class on holidays. This year holidays fall out on the worst possible days monday tuesday and wednesday.

Thanks for posting!


Not Jewish here, but my school would record classes on request for observant students. (With notice, and possibly with clergy documentation? Not sure.) but religious holidays were one of the few ways to get a recording.

User avatar
BEAST_mode
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby BEAST_mode » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:13 am

I told that kraut a fucking thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby $$$$$$ » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 am

delusional wrote:I am not an anti-semite. In fact, I have great admiration for the Jew, especially his business acumen


spoken like a true anti-semite

Huluba
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Huluba » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:28 am

izy223 wrote:[im going to ask an actual question. As a sabbath observant 0L im more nervous about the holidays then sabbath. I assume i can get reading done on saturday (and use post its instead of highighters) and do the bulk of my work the other 6 days, but what did you do about going to class on holidays. This year holidays fall out on the worst possible days monday tuesday and wednesday.


Thanks for posting![/quote]

Going to jump in here as another observant jew. Holiday's are hard and you should make sure to get recordings of classes you miss. Saturday readings can easily made up on Saturday night or Sunday.

User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Dayan114 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:09 am

izy223 wrote:
Dayan114 wrote:I'm a rising 2L who did well at my CCN (top 10%, LR) while taking 1 day a week off from studying, even during finals. If you are sabbath observant / shomer shabbos / a 7th Day Adventist / what have you and have been stressing over keeping the sabbath during law school, I'm happy to answer questions.


im going to ask an actual question. As a sabbath observant 0L im more nervous about the holidays then sabbath. I assume i can get reading done on saturday (and use post its instead of highighters) and do the bulk of my work the other 6 days, but what did you do about going to class on holidays. This year holidays fall out on the worst possible days monday tuesday and wednesday.

Thanks for posting!


So I didn't go at all last year, which was...not the easiest. All of my professors recorded class as a matter of course on the high holidays, and upon request for the others, but I'm not the most auditory learner so I didn't find the recordings super helpful. I tried to make friends early, and send people notes when they were out sick...between those things, I ended up with notes for every class I missed, and those were a lot more helpful when it was time to outline. Profs were also fairly good about office hours—again, at my school missing for holidays was fairly common, and professors seemed to be understanding.

User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Dayan114 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 am

mr.hands wrote:Lol.

OP, how many hours a day would you say you worked? I'm curious as to how you planned on making up for missing a whole day every week.


I was at school 9-7 most days, so excluding class that's about 5-6 hours of work. I also worked some Saturday nights, especially closer to finals, and every Sunday all day. Except during finals season, though, I almost never brought work home with me during the week.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 am

do you roll on shabbos?

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby ru2486 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 am

delusional wrote:I am not an anti-semite. In fact, I have great admiration for the Jew, especially his business acumen. However, I do not understand how Jews can complain about anti-semitism when they refuse to accept the Lord Savior. Can you explain that?

Do you wear that fur hat thingie to class, or what? Also, isn't that cruelty to animals?

Also, are you religious because you believe in certain factual assertions, or because you are part of a community that you like? It was unclear from your last post.


Can we get a banhammer up in here?

Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am

delusional wrote:I am not an anti-semite. In fact, I have great admiration for the Jew, especially his business acumen. However, I do not understand how Jews can complain about anti-semitism when they refuse to accept the Lord Savior. Can you explain that?

Do you wear that fur hat thingie to class, or what? Also, isn't that cruelty to animals?

Also, are you religious because you believe in certain factual assertions, or because you are part of a community that you like? It was unclear from your last post.
\\

Holy shit -- with 1227 posts under your belt?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

i actually thought it was kind of funny

bloobook
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

.

Postby bloobook » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:57 am

.
Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Dayan114 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 pm

bloobook wrote:I'm not religious, but I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask you how you manage your time in law school in order to maintain one day off per week (e.g., how many hours do you study daily in addition to each class? do you have a recommended "method" of studying that works for you?) I'd be really curious to hear about this. :) Thanks!


First, see above (RE: schedule). Immediately after each class, I did the reading for the following class session (so after Monday Torts, I read Wednesday's Tort assignments). This way, I never allowed myself to fall behind. I also briefed almost every case (though not squib cases). Some people say this is a waste of time; I found it incredibly valuable, both in class when I was called on (which matters less) and when outlining (which matters a great deal more). Because I had solid briefs and notes, I was able to outline without really referring to the casebook, which definitely made that part of my semester more efficient.

Aside from that, the typical advice—take as many of your prof's old exams as you can get your hands on. Review your answers to these w/ a study group. Make your own outlines (you can borrow from other people's, but put things in your own words and don't just cut and paste). Learn the professor, not the law.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 pm

fatduck wrote:i actually thought it was kind of funny

If he gets banned for that I'd be MAF

User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby Dayan114 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
fatduck wrote:i actually thought it was kind of funny

If he gets banned for that I'd be MAF


Didn't want to wade into this (mostly because I don't have enough context to know what's bannable), but why?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Sabbath-Observant Jewish 2L Answering Questions

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Dayan114 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
fatduck wrote:i actually thought it was kind of funny

If he gets banned for that I'd be MAF


Didn't want to wade into this (mostly because I don't have enough context to know what's bannable), but why?

i chuckled at "I am not an anti-semite. In fact, I have great admiration for the Jew, especially his business acumen." i thought it was a movie quote, actually, but it appears to be original.

the rest was kind of weird but mostly just anti-religious in general.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crimsonknight and 4 guests