Charlotte Law School Aample Program

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Charlotte Law School Aample Program

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
mr.hands wrote:Please don't do Aample at Charlotte (or anywhere for that matter). If you get in, you'll have the honor of paying 220k for shitty job prospects

--LinkRemoved--

There is a territorial advantage to going to Charlotte Law. It's the only law school in Charlotte offering interns (during the school year) to the law community.

I would however like to read your definition of "shitty job prospects." Have you worked the professional job market? Ever? If so, where? If not, please site your source(s). Please bestow us with your credentials so we can take your vulgar assertions seriously.

He cited Law School Transparency, which uses the school's own reported employment stats, which are objectively shitty.

30 out of 97 grads in the class of 2011 got full-time, long-term law firm jobs. 25 of those are in firms of fewer than 10 lawyers, which usually means desperate unemployed classmates banding together to form their own firms. Very few of these novice "firms" succeed. The school doesn't report salary data at all. If the salary data were any good at all, they for damn sure would report it.

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:
mr.hands wrote:Please don't do Aample at Charlotte (or anywhere for that matter). If you get in, you'll have the honor of paying 220k for shitty job prospects

--LinkRemoved--

There is a territorial advantage to going to Charlotte Law. It's the only law school in Charlotte offering interns (during the school year) to the law community.

I would however like to read your definition of "shitty job prospects." Have you worked the professional job market? Ever? If so, where? If not, please site your source(s). Please bestow us with your credentials so we can take your vulgar assertions seriously.

Do you have a job lined up after graduation?

Also, he did cite his source. Click the link

Its rare to find anybody with jobs lined up before graduating. I have many job prospects though. I clicked the link. I'm sorry but the website is not a credible source. Objectively however, I'm sure most 3T schools experience less successful students post graduation than their 1T counterparts. I argue that harsh criticism is unwarranted since it discourages people that could otherwise function hapily working as attorneys in their own small practice. Not everybody is cut out to make obscene amts of money out of law school. Also, suppose you're in the 10th percentile of wage earning workers with a JD. Your earnings over a lifetime will have paid for law school tuition (180k plus interest) many times over as compared to an avg salary earnings as a worker with only an undergraduate degree. The dollars and cents aspect of things still favors gong to a TTT earning in the 10th percentile over a life time.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Also, he did cite his source. Click the link

Its rare to find anybody with jobs lined up before graduating. I have many job prospects though. I clicked the link. I'm sorry but the website is not a credible source. Objectively however, I'm sure most 3T schools experience less successful students post graduation than their 1T counterparts. I argue that harsh criticism is unwarranted since it discourages people that could otherwise function hapily working as attorneys in their own small practice. Not everybody is cut out to make obscene amts of money out of law school. Also, suppose you're in the 10th percentile of wage earning workers with a JD. Your earnings over a lifetime will have paid for law school tuition (180k plus interest) many times over as compared to an avg salary earnings as a worker with only an undergraduate degree. The dollars and cents aspect of things still favors gong to a TTT earning in the 10th percentile over a life time.

At good schools lots of people have jobs lined up before graduation. That's what people mean when they say the prospects from your school are shitty. Also that website uses the school's own employment data so I don't know what part of it you don't think is credible. I don't know what the rest of your nonsense is about. Most people that graduate from Charlotte don't get jobs as lawyers so the "dollars and cents aspect" strongly favors not going to a school like that. That's what people are trying to explain. We're not elitists and we don't think we're better than anyone, but going to this school is a horrible decision

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 pm

This is hilarious. (Not the OP, but the posts defending TTTThis school.)

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:21 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
boss-mike wrote:Here is a link to website where you can find get all of the info needed to pass the aample program.

--LinkRemoved--

I like how the two paragraphs abt the AAMPLE program on this link contain numerous typos, misspellings, and homophone errors. I hope it's a flame...

Also, this.

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Suralin wrote:This is hilarious. (Not the OP, but the posts defending TTTThis school.)

I appreciate you're opinion on the matter but before going to lawschool I was employed as a budget staff member for the government. A horrible decision would be to get an expensive degree and not experience enough agumentation in salary to cover such expense over a reasonable time period. The dollars and cents or better termed, "the bottom line" favors getting a jd from an aba law school from anywhere. I agree that there are better prospects for those who attend a 1T but your opinions on lower tiered schools are borderline delusional. As hilarious as it may seem to you that I'm defending my 4T school, I find it hilarious equally that as smart as many ppl on this forum may be, they (including you) feel that they have to be vulgar and discouraging to many prospective students.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
Suralin wrote:This is hilarious. (Not the OP, but the posts defending TTTThis school.)

I appreciate you're opinion on the matter but before going to lawschool I was employed as a budget staff member for the government. A horrible decision would be to get an expensive degree and not experience enough agumentation in salary to cover such expense over a reasonable time period. The dollars and cents or better termed, "the bottom line" favors getting a jd from an aba law school from anywhere. I agree that there are better prospects for those who attend a 1T but your opinions on lower tiered schools are borderline delusional. As hilarious as it may seem to you that I'm defending my 4T school, I find it hilarious equally that as smart as many ppl on this forum may be, they (including you) feel that they have to be vulgar and discouraging to many prospective students.

This is totally wrong. If a JD from any school helped people get a job then why do so few graduates from these schools get jobs? Care to cite a source?

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:

Jesus Christ. I was being vulgar and discouraging? Going to a school like Cooley or Thomas Jefferson is a good decision from an expected value perspective? My opinions on unranked schools are borderline delusional?

LOL. I'm just going to bold the only part of your post that makes any sense whatsoever. I'm also going to throw it out there that confirmation bias makes any debate with you useless.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:

7 posts, all from today, all defending CSOL/AAMPLE. Love it.

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Suralin wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:

Jesus Christ. I was being vulgar and discouraging? Going to a school like Cooley or Thomas Jefferson is a good decision from an expected value perspective? My opinions on unranked schools are borderline delusional?

LOL. I'm just going to bold the only part of your post that makes any sense whatsoever. I'm also going to throw it out there that confirmation bias makes any debate with you useless.

Lol?
I agree, a debate with me on this matter is useless. No matter how many prestigious degrees you have, you refuse to accept any quantitave analysis that favors going to a TTTT school vs not going to lawschool. And I refuse to believe that its a horrible decision to get a jd from a TTTT. It was amuzing to say the least.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:38 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:
Suralin wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:

Lol?
I agree, a debate with me on this matter is useless. No matter how many prestigious degrees you have, you refuse to accept any quantitave analysis that favors going to a TTTT school vs not going to lawschool. And I refuse to believe that its a horrible decision to get a jd from a TTTT. It was amuzing to say the least.

Link it then.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:Its rare to find anybody with jobs lined up before graduating. I have many job prospects though.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 am

deepbluepentium wrote:
Suralin wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:

Lol?

It is

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am

deepbluepentium wrote:
Suralin wrote:
deepbluepentium wrote:

Lol?

You say that now, but when your 200k in debt without a job or at best with one that pays 50k a year you'll know why people are so against it. The fact is law school is a pretty big gamble even at the T14, a TTTT is like playing Russian Roulette with a full chamber. The end result won't be pretty.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 am

New favorite poster: deepbluepentium. Really not even close.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:14 am

Please tell me this is all a big troll :roll:

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm

I am flattered that many people on this forum have made an effort to undermine peoples aspiration to be able to practice law. The question that lingers is whether it makes economical sense to enroll in a TTTT school where the avg student would graduate with 200k plus in debt. The answer is, not necessarily. My situation differs from most of my colleagues and so in my case it would be very advantageous to earn a JD from any ABA accredited university. I will concede that going to a 1T school should be a feat that everybody should strive for but unfortunately, many of us have to work with what we already have. I have two daughters and I will make every effort that they obtain admissions to a top higher learning institution. But i will also show them this forum so that they learn a lesson in humility in hopes that they don't spend their free time impugning other peoples efforts.

I don't mind being lectured by many of the young bright minds on this forum since i am in fact tress passing on a "top-law" website ;)
I want to however bring to light that not everybody is in their early twenties wanting to impress some big-name law firm right out of college. And, not everybody that goes to a for-profit TTTT school will be stuck with the bill after graduation. I've received scholarships in order to defray the cost of my undergraduate and masters coursework and believe that it is feasible for any student going to a highly priced law school to do the same. I am fortunate to attend law school at no cost, plus receive a monthly stipend due to my efforts while serving honorably for our nations most elite military branch ;) ;) ;) Lucky for me and a many others, the plight of a combat disabled veteran can be easily be mitigated with educational benefits.
I can care less for working for a big name law firm since i already have my foot in the door working civil service. I am what you call a status former employee for having served and being hurt while in combat plus my civil service history. I've worked in hospital administration for many years and earning a JD or Phd would put me in good contention for an executive role in a government hospital. The pay grade for officers working under the executive pay grade scale start in the upper 90's up to 250k. All attainable in less than a decade coming out of law school. How do i know this? from experience and networking with hundreds of administrators, vendors and any other stakeholders involved in the procurement of business with the government.
A contingency plan would be for me to return to the military and work as a JAG. I have the doors open since i have combat experience and have served honorably. A lot of young students enrolled in 4T schools have this option and can discharge all their law school debt should they decide to serve honorably for 6 years. A pay scale for officers is well above 50k or 80k (considering all the fringe benefits) plus the added bonus of having law school paid for.
As a military service member in the US Marines, i've learned to work with what i have. Perhaps we (law school students in TTTT institutions) have less lucrative options than our 1T counterparts but there are options. As law school students going to prestigious law schools, i would suppose that you would have better advice for anybody fortunate to have the opportunity to enroll to law school period.
I too have been skeptical about working with people from less than prestigious institutions of higher learning. In civil service I obtained my position for demonstrating quantitative skills and being able to exercise good judgment in grey subject matters. About a year before my departure, a co-worker was hired to do work side by side with me. This gentleman obtained a degree from a for-profit university (I won't name the college just know its a Kaplan, Univ Phoenix type of institution) and so i had my doubts of his abilities to function in our department thinking that his college probably handed his degree with minimal effort. I was wrong, this person was a wiz and could crunch numbers and project accurately better than anybody I've ever worked with. To top it off, he absorbed every bit of training in half the time it had taken every staff member before him. The moral of the story; our employer saw a college degree as a screening tool to be able to sit for an interview. Our interviewers saw that we (and i am assuming based on the dynamic in our office) encompassed the right technical skills but also looked for experience and humility. Those are qualities that cannot be learned at any university.

It was fun responding to many of your assertions. I agree that a lot of what you say is true for many law school students going to TTTT schools but i think i've demonstrated that not every case is the same, especially when you have mature students with a better grasp of the professional world. In any case, if you are an aspiring law school student and feel that you may be a discouraged by what you've read, don't be! Contact me at and I'll take the time to give you constructive advice. If your fresh out of undergrad and have the opportunity to re-take the LSAT and have a descent GPA, depending on the timing, i would concur with a lot of people on this site predicate, retake the LSAT.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:I am flattered that many people on this forum have made an effort to undermine peoples aspiration to be able to practice law. The question that lingers is whether it makes economical sense to enroll in a TTTT school where the avg student would graduate with 200k plus in debt. The answer is, not necessarily. My situation differs from most of my colleagues and so in my case it would be very advantageous to earn a JD from any ABA accredited university. I will concede that going to a 1T school should be a feat that everybody should strive for but unfortunately, many of us have to work with what we already have. I have two daughters and I will make every effort that they obtain admissions to a top higher learning institution. But i will also show them this forum so that they learn a lesson in humility in hopes that they don't spend their free time impugning other peoples efforts.

I don't mind being lectured by many of the young bright minds on this forum since i am in fact tress passing on a "top-law" website ;)
I want to however bring to light that not everybody is in their early twenties wanting to impress some big-name law firm right out of college. And, not everybody that goes to a for-profit TTTT school will be stuck with the bill after graduation. I've received scholarships in order to defray the cost of my undergraduate and masters coursework and believe that it is feasible for any student going to a highly priced law school to do the same. I am fortunate to attend law school at no cost, plus receive a monthly stipend due to my efforts while serving honorably for our nations most elite military branch ;) ;) ;) Lucky for me and a many others, the plight of a combat disabled veteran can be easily be mitigated with educational benefits.
I can care less for working for a big name law firm since i already have my foot in the door working civil service. I am what you call a status former employee for having served and being hurt while in combat plus my civil service history. I've worked in hospital administration for many years and earning a JD or Phd would put me in good contention for an executive role in a government hospital. The pay grade for officers working under the executive pay grade scale start in the upper 90's up to 250k. All attainable in less than a decade coming out of law school. How do i know this? from experience and networking with hundreds of administrators, vendors and any other stakeholders involved in the procurement of business with the government.
A contingency plan would be for me to return to the military and work as a JAG. I have the doors open since i have combat experience and have served honorably. A lot of young students enrolled in 4T schools have this option and can discharge all their law school debt should they decide to serve honorably for 6 years. A pay scale for officers is well above 50k or 80k (considering all the fringe benefits) plus the added bonus of having law school paid for.
As a military service member in the US Marines, i've learned to work with what i have. Perhaps we (law school students in TTTT institutions) have less lucrative options than our 1T counterparts but there are options. As law school students going to prestigious law schools, i would suppose that you would have better advice for anybody fortunate to have the opportunity to enroll to law school period.
I too have been skeptical about working with people from less than prestigious institutions of higher learning. In civil service I obtained my position for demonstrating quantitative skills and being able to exercise good judgment in grey subject matters. About a year before my departure, a co-worker was hired to do work side by side with me. This gentleman obtained a degree from a for-profit university (I won't name the college just know its a Kaplan, Univ Phoenix type of institution) and so i had my doubts of his abilities to function in our department thinking that his college probably handed his degree with minimal effort. I was wrong, this person was a wiz and could crunch numbers and project accurately better than anybody I've ever worked with. To top it off, he absorbed every bit of training in half the time it had taken every staff member before him. The moral of the story; our employer saw a college degree as a screening tool to be able to sit for an interview. Our interviewers saw that we (and i am assuming based on the dynamic in our office) encompassed the right technical skills but also looked for experience and humility. Those are qualities that cannot be learned at any university.

It was fun responding to many of your assertions. I agree that a lot of what you say is true for many law school students going to TTTT schools but i think i've demonstrated that not every case is the same, especially when you have mature students with a better grasp of the professional world. In any case, if you are an aspiring law school student and feel that you may be a discouraged by what you've read, don't be! Contact me at and I'll take the time to give you constructive advice. If your fresh out of undergrad and have the opportunity to re-take the LSAT and have a descent GPA, depending on the timing, i would concur with a lot of people on this site predicate, retake the LSAT.

Jesus Christ dude. If this piece of shit law school works out for you, good for you. You got lucky. It doesn't mean you should encourage other people to make the same bad decision you did because there is a chance they might get lucky too. If I win a bunch of money on a slot machine in Vegas I'm not gonna go on a website and tell everyone its a great idea to go to Vegas and gamble their life savings

Also your assumptions about the users of this site are way off base. There are tons of nontraditional students, veterans, parents, etc that are regular contributors here.

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:I am flattered that many people on this forum have made an effort to undermine peoples aspiration to be able to practice law. The question that lingers is whether it makes economical sense to enroll in a TTTT school where the avg student would graduate with 200k plus in debt. The answer is, not necessarily. My situation differs from most of my colleagues and so in my case it would be very advantageous to earn a JD from any ABA accredited university. I will concede that going to a 1T school should be a feat that everybody should strive for but unfortunately, many of us have to work with what we already have. I have two daughters and I will make every effort that they obtain admissions to a top higher learning institution. But i will also show them this forum so that they learn a lesson in humility in hopes that they don't spend their free time impugning other peoples efforts.

Jesus Christ dude. If this piece of shit law school works out for you, good for you. You got lucky. It doesn't mean you should encourage other people to make the same bad decision you did because there is a chance they might get lucky too. If I win a bunch of money on a slot machine in Vegas I'm not gonna go on a website and tell everyone its a great idea to go to Vegas and gamble their life savings

Also your assumptions about the users of this site are way off base. There are tons of nontraditional students, veterans, parents, etc that are regular contributors here.

I am responding to the few people that have taken the time to be dismissive of what they don't know and have found the gall (which is not difficult online ;) ) to insult me. I take their childish behavior as an indication of what maturity level they are functioning at. I have not been profane to anybody on this site or have been insulted this much (not even functioning as an occupying force in a foreign country) by people that only know one thing about me. I've tried to illustrate situations where your advice and assumptions of TTTT schools would be rendered facetious. Again, whats with the vulgarity? Some people on this site would have benefited from a better discipline regiment as children.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:

I am responding to the few people that have taken the time to be dismissive of what they don't know and have found the gall (which is not difficult online ;) ) to insult me. I take their childish behavior as an indication of what maturity level they are functioning at. I have not been profane to anybody on this site or have been insulted this much (not even functioning as an occupying force in a foreign country) by people that only know one thing about me. I've tried to illustrate situations where your advice and assumptions of TTTT schools would be rendered facetious. Again, whats with the vulgarity? Some people on this site would have benefited from a better discipline regiment as children.

Why are you so butthurt about vulgarity? This is how people talk. You're being insulted because the one thing people know about you is that you are shilling for a school that is an absolutely horrible life ruining decision for the majority of people that attend. If it works/worked out for you, then great. Job statistics show that it does not work out for most people

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:

Why are you so butthurt about vulgarity? This is how people talk. You're being insulted because the one thing people know about you is that you are shilling for a school that is an absolutely horrible life ruining decision for the majority of people that attend. If it works/worked out for you, then great. Job statistics show that it does not work out for most people

I'm sure you can agree that everybody's situation is different in the sense that law school expenses (as bloated as they may be for TTTT schools) can be defrayed by many means. Nobody i've seen here has taken the time to ask follow up questions to prospective students. My opinion is that if your impressionable enough to let the opinion of a few guide your decision as to what you will do with your law school career then perhaps you shouldn't be an attorney period.
I am not hurt by the comments. I would simply like an explanation. I know the the answer by the way. I challenge anybody on this post that has been vulgar to me or any idea to post what law school they attend and their full name?! I doubt anybody has the courage to stand by their own words. Why? Because you know that all the obscenities you all have posted go against demonstrating humility to your future employers or people that know you for that matter. Anybody not willing to come forward and stand by their vulgar statements publicly is acting out of cowardice and no prestigious law degree will fix an inherent problem like that.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:41 pm

deepbluepentium wrote:

LOL. deepbluepentium is such a shitboomer that it fucking hurts to read his posts.

Newsflash: basing your argument on your opponent's "vulgar" tone means that you've already lost and have nothing substantive to say.

Also, you're probably one of those people that respond to a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance of winning the lottery by saying "But there's still a chance, right?"
Last edited by suralin on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Posting your real name is not brave, its stupid. I would happily say in real life that Charlotte law is shitty and that encouraging people to go there is fucking retarded. But I'm not going to associate my real name with my TLS account.

deepbluepentium

Postby deepbluepentium » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Posting your real name is not brave, its stupid. I would happily say in real life that Charlotte law is shitty and that encouraging people to go there is fucking retarded. But I'm not going to associate my real name with my TLS account.

Nobody has to be brave but if you really stand by your words then why not go on record and not hide behind a computer screen? Who with integrity has a conversation and disclaims "I'm not going to associate myself with my ridiculous views or what i am about to say." This forum should have the connotation of "top law" anywhere.
Last edited by deepbluepentium on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:04 pm

So your argument is basically that people at TTTT can join JAG and discharge their debt after six years, so it is okay to go to an expensive TTTT and incur a lot of debt? If that were true, why are there some many unemployed people coming out of your school for example? If JAG was really available to all the unemployed law grads (including the unemployed grads from T14, T1, TT, TTT, and TTTTs), why is half the c/o 2011 unemployed?

The reason is because there are 20,000 jobs and 45,000 new grads. No matter how you fit the 45,000 new JDs into the 20,000 jobs, they won't all fit. If someone from CSOL networks and hustles and gets a job against the odds, then s/he displaces someone else. The reason people say don't go TTTT (generally) is because in a prestige-obsessed profession like law, your chances of getting a job are less than the 50% chance of the average recent law grad. Schools at the top boast employment close to 100%, which means that if 50% is the average chance, the least successful schools are going to give you less than a coin flip's chance at a job.

It is nice that CSOL worked out for you because of your special circumstances, but most people don't have those special circumstances.

ETA: The reason people don't want to put their name on here has nothing to do with not wanting to associate their name with their opinion that students should not go to CSOL. The reason is that they don't want to reveal their identity as to their TLS user name.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”