Atlanta's John Marshall Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
secondtimearound17

Re: Atlanta's John Marshall Law School

Postby secondtimearound17 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Seriously guys, thank you so much! This is a great community! I will be grateful for any further advice as well. :)

salix

Postby salix » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am

OP - I agree with the folks here who say to ditch the idea of AJMLS. My Atlanta area lawyer friends told me not to even bother applying. Study hard for the LSAT and retake.

FWIW, I'm in my early forties, married with kids, and I'll be starting GA State in a few weeks. I've met many nontraditional (read: older) classmates already, so I can say that you would hardly be alone in that situation (at GA State, anyway). A year's delay to go to a better school than AJMLS won't be that big of a deal. RETAKE. You can do it!

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you so much! Good luck at GA State!

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:52 pm

UPDATE: I am definitely not going to AJMLS this fall or ever for that matter. I am going to study really hard for the LSAT and take it in October. When I re-apply, it will only be to UGA, GA State, and Emory. You guys really helped my husband and me make this decision. Now any LSAT improvement tips? Thank you all so much! :)

androstan

Postby androstan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:16 pm

secondtimearound17 wrote:UPDATE: I am definitely not going to AJMLS this fall or ever for that matter. I am going to study really hard for the LSAT and take it in October. When I re-apply, it will only be to UGA, GA State, and Emory. You guys really helped my husband and me make this decision. Now any LSAT improvement tips? Thank you all so much! :)

For me, Logic Games Bible improved my score by a few points. Logical Reasoning Bible by another few points, and drilling every past LSAT that's been published got me those last few points.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:29 pm

secondtimearound17 wrote:UPDATE: I am definitely not going to AJMLS this fall or ever for that matter. I am going to study really hard for the LSAT and take it in October. When I re-apply, it will only be to UGA, GA State, and Emory. You guys really helped my husband and me make this decision. Now any LSAT improvement tips? Thank you all so much! :)

obvious flame

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Not exactly sure what an "obvious flame" means, but in the event it is the start of an "online war," please note that this is primarily a financial decision given my age and family status. This was not meant to disparage AJMLS. It just costs a lot of money to go there. Before you note that I will be applying to Emory, it is a Tier 1 school and I would be hoping to raise my LSAT enough to obtain a scholarship.

siscokyd

Postby siscokyd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Power Score bibles are a must !Do a timed section everyday, and a full timed PT every week.
Dissect every wrong answer ! Study on avg. 1.5 to two hours per day ,six days a week
You can split up the hours if you want.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 pm

More like 20+ hrs a week.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:50 am

Logic Games is the easiest section to learn, although it can be very hard at first. However, there is a system to answering the questions, and once you understand system, you can get through an entire section without missing an answer. I went from -13 on my first LG section, to a consistent -0. First, you should buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible (and Logic Reasoning, for that matter). Then, you should go through this Bible every day in order to get the system down. However, your brain may not be accustomed to the kind of work that learning Logic Games demand, as it is entirely new way of thinking. I mean, how often did you do a logic game before the lsat? I know when I started, I would get headaches within 20 minutes of studying, but I pushed myself through it. After about a week or two of doing this, things just suddenly clicked. I could comprehend what they were saying, and I could put it into practice. This is the reason people choose not to study (or do many other things), because this period of pushing yourself really sucks. But it is so rewarding! Once you get the LG Bible down, buy a couple of the 10 Real LSATs Book, except the first one (it has the earlier tests). Go to a copying machine and make 3 copies of every single game in these books, and every single game you ever come across. Once you have all of these games printed, stack them and mix them all up. Remember to write down the test number on the top of each page before you print, so you know which answer key to look for (they are at the end of every test in the Real LSATs book). Take 4 games out of the pile every day, and do them, regardless if you just did one the day before or not. This repetition will help you master the strategies of figuring out Logic Games!

If anyone wants to add to this (especially LR/RC strategy), please do!

ps. don't time yourself at first. Learning these strategies and using them takes time. So work on your accuracy, then your speed.

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Logic Games is my weakest area. Thank you so much for the advice because I never would have thought to make extra copies and then mix them all up! Brilliant!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 pm

secondtimearound17 wrote:Logic Games is my weakest area. Thank you so much for the advice because I never would have thought to make extra copies and then mix them all up! Brilliant!

Good. Just by improving LG, your score will be much better.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:
secondtimearound17 wrote:I need to make a major decision quickly, so I am turning to the experts. I am scheduled to begin law school in a few weeks at Atlanta's John Marshall Law School. I was accepted at Mercer, waitlisted at GA State, rejected by UGA, and I didn't apply to Emory, due to an average LSAT score. I will be 40 years old when I start. I am also a wife and mother, so this will be a sacrifice for my family. This isn't a whim. I originally started law school in another state years ago as a traditional student, but a tragedy forced me to withdraw. I am currently not working because I resigned to go to law school full-time this fall. My husband and I will be forced to take out loans to pay for AJMLS. I have a bad feeling that I am making a huge mistake. I do have some lawyer friends that think it would be "ok" for me to attend AJMLS. My husband and I are wondering if I should hire an LSAT tutor to get my score out of the average range (3.5 LSAC G.P.A.) and re-apply to UGA, GA State and apply to Emory for next fall. The only downside to waiting is I am already going to be 40 and I stopped working to do this (tough job market). I have always regretted leaving law school and not returning. Oh, and I was a paralegal for three years right after college, so know practicing law isn't like "The Good Wife." Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Contact AJMLS and let them know you can't afford it. Demand a full scholarship. Look at the ASU Scholarship thread to get some great ideas on how to do it. If not, retake the LSAT.

best of luck and congratulations for getting into law school.

No. Don't go to JMLS even with a full scholarship.

You are missing the point of the exercise.

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm not going to AJMLS. I'm applying to UGA, GA State, and Emory for Fall 2013. Thank you!

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 am

secondtimearound17 wrote:Logic Games is my weakest area. Thank you so much for the advice because I never would have thought to make extra copies and then mix them all up! Brilliant!

I went from getting a 8/24 to 22/24, so it's definitely very doable.

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 am

Thank you!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Good luck! I'm glad you figured this out before you started at AJMLS. Most of us have been in your shoes, including me. Here's my thread from a while back. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149790

secondtimearound17

Postby secondtimearound17 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Thank you! I am not thrilled about losing my $500 seat deposit at JM either, but lesson learned. I felt good about waiting and then I read your thread. Now I feel positively inspired! Thank you for directing me to it. I read it like a novel waiting for the big reveal of your 164! Congrats on Illinois! I'm sure you will be very successful. You're "never quit" attitude makes it a lock. Do you know which field you want to practice in?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”