Softs for NYC law schools

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dingbat

Re: Softs for NYC law schools

Postby dingbat » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 pm

JCFindley wrote:I actually had softs that made a huge difference in my cycle but it took a lot longer than a year or two to get them. It is possible just not that likely in a year.

Yes, the kind of softs you have are known to make a recognizable difference, but they require a multi-year commitment

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I actually had softs that made a huge difference in my cycle but it took a lot longer than a year or two to get them. It is possible just not that likely in a year.

Yes, the kind of softs you have are known to make a recognizable difference, but they require a multi-year commitment

Yeah, definitely more than a year.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Judge for yourself.

Also, http://www.myLSN.info is the best

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:38 pm

I was actually just talking with friends to organize a "trot for cancer" here in Fort Lauderdale(Trot is the first 4 letters of my last name). Running 5k-10k races by the beach to donate money to cancer research. I feel that something in that area may help me get some recognition...

and I believe the blog really wont "offend" someone... there's just a lot of half naked women on it and mild to strong language on some articles. Check the blog out and let me know!!
http://www.beermugsports.com

Thanks again every1

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:I was actually just talking with friends to organize a "trot for cancer" here in Fort Lauderdale(Trot is the first 4 letters of my last name). Running 5k-10k races by the beach to donate money to cancer research. I feel that something in that area may help me get some recognition...

and I believe the blog really wont "offend" someone... there's just a lot of half naked women on it and mild to strong language on some articles. Check the blog out and let me know!!

Thanks again every1

You do realize these law schools have professors, faculty, and admissions committee members who are female. Why would that blog, which encourages the objectification of women for the lustful eyes of the ESPN demographic, not be offensive to them?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:59 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:I was actually just talking with friends to organize a "trot for cancer" here in Fort Lauderdale(Trot is the first 4 letters of my last name). Running 5k-10k races by the beach to donate money to cancer research. I feel that something in that area may help me get some recognition...

Thanks again every1

I'm starting to think you are just trolling for hits on your blog bruh

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 am

Ruxin1 wrote:

Thanks again every1

I'm starting to think you are just trolling for hits on your blog bruh

fuuuuuuuuuuuck you're so right. i've been had.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:27 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
nosleeptillsuccess wrote:did you mean WE as in to get a job relevant to my undergraduate major for a few years then list it??

Or list what I've already done..

If it was the first than I mean I want to get into law school for 2013 Fall and I don't want to burn 2 years then apply in my late 20s. If it was the latter then I misinterpreted your statement.

Post-grad Work experience, say two or three years, then apply. Going straight thru is going to be tough with your low GPA.

eh, CLS and NYU aren't extraordinarily softs-heavy. If he can get the score ranges that Doorkeeper posted, his chances are pretty solid, especially with an ED app. If he doesn't get that LSAT range, he's not getting in. Especially with schools with large student bodies, numbers are almost the only thing that matters, and while the gpa is low, it's not so low that he has no chance.

OP, you really do need to shoot for 172 and ED to NYU. I don't think you're getting into CLS with the gpa, and you won't get enough money at Fordham to make it worth attending.

Postby 2014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:43 am

CLS took 2 ~3.28s/177s off the WL this cycle Jam, no real reason to think next year will be more competitive.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 am

2014 wrote:CLS took 2 ~3.28s/177s off the WL this cycle Jam, no real reason to think next year will be more competitive.

I said I don't think he'll get CLS, not that it was out of the question. I think there's obviously a chance, but with people like me, thelong, and others with even higher numbers getting WLd, I think it's the better bet to shoot for NYU (especially if ED is in play)

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:32 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

Thanks again every1

You do realize these law schools have professors, faculty, and admissions committee members who are female. Why would that blog, which encourages the objectification of women for the lustful eyes of the ESPN demographic, not be offensive to them?

THIS

Here is a quote from a Fordham Adcom member's Twitter. "Today's takeaway from reading: The word "crap" is not appropriate in a PS. As it is only 12:40 - what's in store for the rest of the day?"

Now, do you really want to lead them to a blog that on page one asks the question, " Whose banging ass is this?"

The blog is fine for its intended demographic but it WILL piss people off outside of it.

I will add that view counts are great in a touchy feel good way but unless you can find a way to capitalize on the popularity you are just one of a million other bloggers out there. I hope you actually have written releases for all the images you have on there. If you don't, then you have dozens of copyright violations on page one alone. Just because an image is on the net does not mean it can be copied and used in a blog. (I will go ahead and assume that you actually have releases on ALL the images you have on there since you are applying to LS and thus have at least a vague understanding of IP law and what that entails.)

Put the blog on if you will but I can't see it making a difference beyond your LSAT and UG GPA but it runs a very real risk of hurting you.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:46 am

Dude isn't interested in going to law school; this is a blog promo. He monetizes with google adsense and other affiliate marketing i don't care to explain. Mods should remove his link whoring.

In the unlikely event that OP really wants to go to law school and i'm being a dick, blame it on him plugging his blog too suspiciously.
</thread>

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't think he is trolling for hits. He has posts in the LSAT section that don't link the blog. Besides, the few that he will get here won't make a huge difference in the stats.

In all seriousness on softs though, you probably just don't have the time to produce a soft that really matters at this point. Sure, go out and do some good for the community and it will make you feel good and do some good in the world. It likely won't make a difference in your admissions cycle. Since your GPA is set, the only thing you have control over now is the LSAT score.

I was serious about not including the blog though. It really does run a very good chance of offending someone in an adcom and one, "absolutely not" will probably cancel out a dozen people that want to give you a thumbs up.

I suppose you could win a Pulitzer in a year but it just isn't that likely.

JC

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the honest comments JC AND noticing that I'm NOT trolling for hits lol... I'm surprised someone would even think that...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:41 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:Thanks for the honest comments JC AND noticing that I'm NOT trolling for hits lol... I'm surprised someone would even think that...

eh, it's to be expected when you only have 18 posts. I'm not passing judgement, we're just a little mean around here. OP, your softs aren't bad or good, and the biggest thing you need to worry about is the LSAT, since it will basically make or break whether you can go to NYU or Columbia.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”