Summer internship dates

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Summer internship dates

Postby pupshaw » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Hey all,

Not totally sure this is the right forum for this, but it seems like the best bet. I'm a 0L, starting law school this fall. I was wondering what the schedule is typically like for summer internships after 1L. If my school finishes exams on May 15, is it likely that I'll have a few weeks before an internship starts? Or alternatively, will there be a gap between the end of the internship and the start of 2L? Do these things tend to vary widely, or is there a pretty set schedule?

Thanks for any advice!

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12770
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby LeDique » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:28 pm

They vary widely.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 pm

LeDique wrote:They vary widely.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby monkey85 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
LeDique wrote:They vary widely.


...and to add a little more color: if you intern with a judge, (s)he tells you when you start and end (at least that's what my Dist. Ct. judge did); I had no say in the dates.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Also, this is a very important question that should be worrying you now.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12770
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby LeDique » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

monkey85 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
LeDique wrote:They vary widely.


...and to add a little more color: if you intern with a judge, (s)he tells you when you start and end (at least that's what my Dist. Ct. judge did); I had no say in the dates.


If you mean state, this is the exact opposite of my experience. If you mean fed, probably right.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

But they are typically around 10 weeks long, which leaves most students with ~4 weeks free, broken up in one way or another. In NYC at least it seems most summer jobs start early and end early -- like start before or just after Memorial Day and end by the end of July or the first couple days of August.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:But they are typically around 10 weeks long, which leaves most students with ~4 weeks free, broken up in one way or another. In NYC at least it seems most summer jobs start early and end early -- like start before or just after Memorial Day and end by the end of July or the first couple days of August.

Even that depends. At UChicago (lol quarter system) we've got exactly 10 weeks if you count from the monday following exams to the friday before OCI. For those people who had to work 10 weeks, they only had a a 4-day weekend between finals ending and starting their job. So OP, it really 100% depends on where you go to school and what job you get. My employer this summer told me that I needed to work at least 8 weeks and left it entirely in my hands to pick my start and end dates, while other people were told they had to start that monday after finals at their own jobs.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:But they are typically around 10 weeks long, which leaves most students with ~4 weeks free, broken up in one way or another. In NYC at least it seems most summer jobs start early and end early -- like start before or just after Memorial Day and end by the end of July or the first couple days of August.

Even that depends. At UChicago (lol quarter system) we've got exactly 10 weeks if you count from the monday following exams to the friday before OCI. For those people who had to work 10 weeks, they only had a a 4-day weekend between finals ending and starting their job. So OP, it really 100% depends on where you go to school and what job you get. My employer this summer told me that I needed to work at least 8 weeks and left it entirely in my hands to pick my start and end dates, while other people were told they had to start that monday after finals at their own jobs.

Yeah I do not understand how these alleged "quarters" work for you guys but it seems alien and frightening.

bloobook
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

.

Postby bloobook » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:08 am

.
Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby monkey85 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:23 am

LeDique wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
LeDique wrote:They vary widely.


...and to add a little more color: if you intern with a judge, (s)he tells you when you start and end (at least that's what my Dist. Ct. judge did); I had no say in the dates.


If you mean state, this is the exact opposite of my experience. If you mean fed, probably right.


Yes, Fed.

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby pupshaw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:16 am

ben4847 wrote:Also, this is a very important question that should be worrying you now.


This is worrying me now because I have a major event that I need to plan for next summer, and I need to have some idea of available dates soon.

Thanks everyone else, I really appreciate the input.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:14 am

cerealdan wrote:
ben4847 wrote:Also, this is a very important question that should be worrying you now.


This is worrying me now because I have a major event that I need to plan for next summer, and I need to have some idea of available dates soon.

Thanks everyone else, I really appreciate the input.

My dates were June 4th-August 10th. Some people started earlier. When I signed my contract the dates were already in there and I had no say in the matter.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 am

If you're planning something like a wedding, 1L summer really is a pretty inconvenient time. You'll have no idea when you start work until December/January at the earliest, you'll be busy with finals with little time to plan, then after school's done, you'll be burnt out and tired in addition to doing the writing competition, and then come July you'll be mass-mailing and preparing for OCI, which for most people at my school starts right after finishing their summer job.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 am

Eh, if you're going to do an unpaid internship like most people, chances are they'll be happy to work with your schedule if you're, say, getting married. No one is going to refuse their unpaid intern a few days off for some important life event.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:26 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Eh, if you're going to do an unpaid internship like most people, chances are they'll be happy to work with your schedule if you're, say, getting married. No one is going to refuse their unpaid intern a few days off for some important life event.

Okay, but OP needs to know a date now and they'll have no idea where they're working for a long time, and there's no guarantee it'll be at a place like that. Plus, just a couple days off for a wedding/honeymoon is TTT.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:29 pm

My internship is from May 29-July 20 but they made exceptions for several people. You will almost certainly be able to find something that works.

jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby jurisx » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:33 pm

For you taking unpaid internships, I hope you are at least asking your school to award credit for them (burn up those electives) and thus qualifying for fedloans during the time.

(trust fund babies, you good)

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:40 pm

jurisx wrote:For you taking unpaid internships, I hope you are at least asking your school to award credit for them (burn up those electives) and thus qualifying for fedloans during the time.

(trust fund babies, you good)


But then you have to pay tuition for the credit and so it will end up costing YOU to work over the summer. The best thing is to just save up loan money all year and use that.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:41 pm

jurisx wrote:For you taking unpaid internships, I hope you are at least asking your school to award credit for them (burn up those electives) and thus qualifying for fedloans during the time.

(trust fund babies, you good)

Some schools provide stipends.

bloobook
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

.

Postby bloobook » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm

.
Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby jurisx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
jurisx wrote:For you taking unpaid internships, I hope you are at least asking your school to award credit for them (burn up those electives) and thus qualifying for fedloans during the time.

(trust fund babies, you good)


But then you have to pay tuition for the credit and so it will end up costing YOU to work over the summer. The best thing is to just save up loan money all year and use that.


You forget that you have to pay for those electives anyways. The debt is still there with the school, you just get credit for the externship instead of having to go back and take more BS Seminars to fill in the gap.

If you are rich enough to do it without any help and want to do that plus the seminars latter anyways, great more power to you.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Sorry your school doesn't have summer funding man.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby mr_toad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Haha. Let's not forget that stipend money likely comes out of tuition dollars as well. No free lunch. Either you pay for it on the front end or the back end (unless you have a 1L firm job or some other paying gig).

jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Summer internship dates

Postby jurisx » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 pm

mr_toad wrote:Haha. Let's not forget that stipend money likely comes out of tuition dollars as well. No free lunch. Either you pay for it on the front end or the back end (unless you have a 1L firm job or some other paying gig).


or just take the EJD online, no internship requirment there.

http://www.taftu.edu




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: doyleoil, kingpin101, ptz and 6 guests