"Normal" job in law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
twenty

"Normal" job in law?

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 am

So, this is mostly for a friend, but it kind of applies to me too. My buddy is interested in working 40~ hours a week and having a family to go home to a 5PM. He doesn't care about making biglaw salary, and he'll have no debt when he graduates law school. What legal jobs would facilitate a "normal" lifestyle that way?

rinkrat19

Re: "Normal" job in law?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:45 am

Government jobs.

/thread

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:51 am

Okay, going from there, how likely is picking up a non-JAG, non-AUSA government slot? I mean, we're talking regional schools here.

To elaborate, let's say above median at a T1.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Government jobs.

/thread

There's a reason it's called "Ask a Law Student/Graduate".

OP, to answer your question, I'm working in public interest this summer and my boss (and all the other lawyers) comes in at 9 and is out the door at 5 - 6 every day. Obviously it varies widely and there are plenty of PI jobs that have you working lots of hours, but there are definitely jobs outside of the government that have you working "normal job" hours.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:26 am

I worked at a small firm that pays decently and attorneys generally worked 9:00 to 6:00, and maybe a couple-three hours from home on the weekend. Hours were later if trial was coming up, but you know about that well in advance.

spaceman82

Postby spaceman82 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Government jobs.

/thread

There's a reason it's called "Ask a Law Student/Graduate".

OP, to answer your question, I'm working in public interest this summer and my boss (and all the other lawyers) comes in at 9 and is out the door at 5 - 6 every day. Obviously it varies widely and there are plenty of PI jobs that have you working lots of hours, but there are definitely jobs outside of the government that have you working "normal job" hours.

This is really good to know. Would you be willing to elaborate on what type of public interest law this is, or do you think offices with this approach/lifestyle can be found across the PI spectrum?

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 am

I'm not a law student yet so anyone feel free to correct me if this all sounds like the exception instead of the rule. I work at a small boutique firm and all of our attorneys are here 9-5. I leave a few minutes before 5 and most of the time the attorneys are gone, sometimes the partners are still here when I'm leaving but when they are they're usually on calls or look like they're finishing something up. I think they bring work home (especially the partners) but at least they're home. My parents both had pretty demanding jobs and they almost always brought work home but they were still around for dinner and to help with homework and things like that. That much said I'm sure there are nights when they're at the office all night but from what I've heard those nights are few and far between.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:52 pm

what do you mean when you say he doesn´t care about a biglaw salary?

no models and bottles on the side??

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”