Concise vs. Complete Hornbook Series

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MAapplicant

Concise vs. Complete Hornbook Series

Postby MAapplicant » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:52 pm

0L here who was wondering if it would be a waste of money to buy, for lets say my contracts course, a Concise Hornbook Series for Contracts ($40) as opposed to the Complete Hornbook Series for Contracts ($85)? Is the concise series really missing that many cases and details that its price might suggest?

Those who say either would be a waste of time need not respond.

THANKS!

PinkCow

Re: Concise vs. Complete Hornbook Series

Postby PinkCow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm

MAapplicant wrote:0L here who was wondering if it would be a waste of money to buy, for lets say my contracts course, a Concise Hornbook Series for Contracts ($40) as opposed to the Complete Hornbook Series for Contracts ($85)? Is the concise series really missing that many cases and details that its price might suggest?

THANKS!

Both would be a waste of time.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:51 am

PinkCow wrote:
MAapplicant wrote:0L here who was wondering if it would be a waste of money to buy, for lets say my contracts course, a Concise Hornbook Series for Contracts ($40) as opposed to the Complete Hornbook Series for Contracts ($85)? Is the concise series really missing that many cases and details that its price might suggest?

THANKS!

Both would be a waste of time.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:37 am

If you have to buy something, wait until your professor recommends a supplement for you. Or even if s/he doesn't, there's likely a supplement that goes with your book, you just have to wait to see which text you're using.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Found Contracts hornbooks generally useless, with the exception of Chirelstein because a. it was short, b. it was directly correlated with our textbook (Farnsworth), and c. my professor was Chirelstein.

If your textbook is Farnsworth, I recommend reading Chirelstein over a weekend or two. Other than that, steer cleer and focus on your casebook and what your professor is talking about...

Other unsolicited advice:

Property Hornbooks - MOST USELESS. And it's not that property is hard or confusing (with the exception of the rule against perpetuities, in which case you might want to photocopy a few practice problems from an E&E)

Civpro - Glannon helpful, albeit simplistic. I found some sections of Friedenthal's hornbook useful because he does a good job in mapping out the foundational Supreme Court decisions in certain topics. However, that book is getting dated as it doesn't account for recent decisions like Shady Grove.

Torts - The most basic subject you'll study.

Conlaw - Chemerinsky should be your bible (I all but gave up trying to read my Conlaw casebook).

Crim - You might find Dressler helpful. However, crim law doesn't really have that much material to study in the first place, unlike Conlaw, in which your casebook will be a diatribe of cases.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 am

bhan87 wrote:
Civpro - Glannon helpful, albeit simplistic.

I used both the Glannon E&E and the Glannon multiple choice, even though our exam didn't have multiple choice. Doing the multiple choice one was much more helpful because seeing multiple similar answers and how and why they were wrong was great.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:41 am

This is entirely dependent on your textbooks.

If you're using Field (Clermont) Civ Pro: Clermont Hornbook.

If you're using Hillman/Summers Contracts: Hillman Hornbook.

Property: "A Short Happy Guide to Property" works wonders.

Chemerinsky for con law, I guess, but honestly not useful.

Dressler for Crim.

If you need a supplement for torts, god have mercy on your soul.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”