Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 am

kfeaston wrote:
TTTehehe wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO


You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.



Well the stipulation is to hold a 3.0 gpa that shouldn't be too hard


That is a huge mistake people make. Everyone thought that at my old school, and then the curve was 2.55ish. You do the math. Get the stipulation removed

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 am

kfeaston wrote: As well as time and I cannot imagine doing much better than I did on the LSAT (maybe an extra 5-6 points for 3 more months of agony?) e


5-6 extra points is a HUGE deal. You just went from a 159 to a 165. 165/2.8 might get you into Pepperdine.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/m4johns2/jd

Also, you don't have to go to a higher ranked school with more debt, you could just go to Regent, but with a full ride. Huh, think about that.

Btw, do you still have your gi bill benefits?

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 am

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:
kfeaston wrote:
TTTehehe wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO


You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.



Well the stipulation is to hold a 3.0 gpa that shouldn't be too hard


That is a huge mistake people make. Everyone thought that at my old school, and then the curve was 2.55ish. You do the math. Get the stipulation removed



If only it were that easy to have it removed at my request.......... I mean really people!

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:08 am

kfeaston wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:
kfeaston wrote:
TTTehehe wrote:
You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.



Well the stipulation is to hold a 3.0 gpa that shouldn't be too hard


That is a huge mistake people make. Everyone thought that at my old school, and then the curve was 2.55ish. You do the math. Get the stipulation removed



If only it were that easy to have it removed at my request.......... I mean really people!


I think what people are getting at is that you shouldn't go.

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby TTTehehe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 am

I know some people flamed you, but some people are actually here trying to help you. You asked a question, and we are answering it. You may not like the answer, but people seldom do.

1. No one is saying that removing the stip is easy; but you need to negotiate so that they will either remove or reduce the stip. There are threads on TLS that discuss this topic.

2. What can other law schools teach you that's better than Regent, etc.? Material wise, not much, I suppose. The law is the law. However, let's put aside the fact that as a school's rank increases, the pool of professors with influence or access to internships/jobs generally increases. Let's even put aside the increase of firms doing OCI at "better schools." You said that you wanted to 1. practice in CA, and 2. get a job. The chances of you doing these two things are incredibly difficult from Regent. Not because the school is bad per se, but because there are other schools much better received by employers. There are plenty of threads on TLS covering this issue.

It seems that you've made your decision already. Good luck.

User avatar
SnapSnapSnap
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 12:07 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 am

kfeaston wrote:Also what is so great about other schools that Regent is lacking? Who cares if they are not a bunch of liberal scum and actually have some Christian values is that so bad? I mean seriously what is some other law school going to teach me that Regent cannot?



Ok. EVEN IF one would concede (and one generally wouldn't) that Regent will offer the same quality of education as, oh I dunno, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC--obviously you know you need to be competitive with graduates of these schools to have a good shot of CA legal employment--or any of the 60+ ABA and CalBar accredited law schools in California, you still have big problems.

1. Most people haven't heard of Regent one way or the other, except the occasional person who goes, "Isn't that the Pat Robertson school? Man, those people are fuckin' nuts!" This isn't what I say, this is what I hear, and yes, I know it isn't the Pat Robertson school.
2. Why would any employer hire someone from a school they've likely never heard of (or if they have heard of it, their opinion is likely to be negative), with no ties to the area, when there are literally thousands and thousands of home-grown graduates of better reputed schools who are clamoring over each other for ANY type of legal work?
3. In many states, and in parts of California, an Evangelical K-12 education isn't seen as a bad thing, and we have our fair share of modern-quasireligious colleges (Loyola, Pepperdine, etc). But for law school, a program that is PERCEIVED the way Regent often is (extremist, backward, Bible-thumping, Bible-literalists, science-deniers, etc) will almost certainly work against you here. And we may all be "liberal scum" and have no Christian values or whatever other offensive prejudices YOU have, but when you're asking for a job--no, begging, which you WILL be doing from Regent--in California, well, you're kind of on their turf, and ultimately the potential employer's POV will matter more than yours.

Bottom line: Things will not go the way you want them to. I promise. Don't come to California with a Regent JD and expect anything at all. Stay in Virginia and flip a coin, or consider yourself a martyr while you torture yourself re-studying for the LSAT & kick ass at splitter-friendly CA school. For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, please consider these your only two options.

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:52 am

SnapSnapSnap wrote:
kfeaston wrote:Also what is so great about other schools that Regent is lacking? Who cares if they are not a bunch of liberal scum and actually have some Christian values is that so bad? I mean seriously what is some other law school going to teach me that Regent cannot?



Ok. EVEN IF one would concede (and one generally wouldn't) that Regent will offer the same quality of education as, oh I dunno, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC--obviously you know you need to be competitive with graduates of these schools to have a good shot of CA legal employment--or any of the 60+ ABA and CalBar accredited law schools in California, you still have big problems.

1. Most people haven't heard of Regent one way or the other, except the occasional person who goes, "Isn't that the Pat Robertson school? Man, those people are fuckin' nuts!" This isn't what I say, this is what I hear, and yes, I know it isn't the Pat Robertson school.
2. Why would any employer hire someone from a school they've likely never heard of (or if they have heard of it, their opinion is likely to be negative), with no ties to the area, when there are literally thousands and thousands of home-grown graduates of better reputed schools who are clamoring over each other for ANY type of legal work?
3. In many states, and in parts of California, an Evangelical K-12 education isn't seen as a bad thing, and we have our fair share of modern-quasireligious colleges (Loyola, Pepperdine, etc). But for law school, a program that is PERCEIVED the way Regent often is (extremist, backward, Bible-thumping, Bible-literalists, science-deniers, etc) will almost certainly work against you here. And we may all be "liberal scum" and have no Christian values or whatever other offensive prejudices YOU have, but when you're asking for a job--no, begging, which you WILL be doing from Regent--in California, well, you're kind of on their turf, and ultimately the potential employer's POV will matter more than yours.

Bottom line: Things will not go the way you want them to. I promise. Don't come to California with a Regent JD and expect anything at all. Stay in Virginia and flip a coin, or consider yourself a martyr while you torture yourself re-studying for the LSAT & kick ass at splitter-friendly CA school. For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, please consider these your only two options.



Well thanks for your input on the situation and I guess I will be flipping a coin in VA the rest of my life as you say then. As far as "Offensive prejudices" that I have as you say, I can go all day back and forth with you and your do anything you want because there is no God mentality. It is pointless to even argue with a liberal because you don't even see the wreckage beneath your feet from the liberal party's actions. Soon there will be no rules and brothers and sisters can marry each other, child molesters will be allowed to molest children as well as many other monstrosities that all follow your same liberal freedoms against Christian prejudices as you say.

I guess we'll just see what we'll see but I cannot truly believe all of you when you say that going to Regent will never allow me to have a good career as a lawyer even say 10 years from now with experience and natural ability. Maybe the difference between me and all of you is that I don't expect to make $160k a year fresh out of law school and nor do I really care to. I would be just fine making between $50-$65k my first year or 2 out of law school.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:24 am

kfeaston wrote:Also what is so great about other schools that Regent is lacking? Who cares if they are not a bunch of liberal scum and actually have some Christian values is that so bad? I mean seriously what is some other law school going to teach me that Regent cannot?


Regent is fine to go to if you have a legal job lined up after law school. If not, then the problem with Regent is the same problem as with a lot of other law schools--the school is not worth the investment since there is a very good chance you will not be able to find ANY legal job.


kfeaston wrote:
SnapSnapSnap wrote:Ok. EVEN IF one would concede (and one generally wouldn't) that Regent will offer the same quality of education as, oh I dunno, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC--obviously you know you need to be competitive with graduates of these schools to have a good shot of CA legal employment--or any of the 60+ ABA and CalBar accredited law schools in California, you still have big problems.

1. Most people haven't heard of Regent one way or the other, except the occasional person who goes, "Isn't that the Pat Robertson school? Man, those people are fuckin' nuts!" This isn't what I say, this is what I hear, and yes, I know it isn't the Pat Robertson school.
2. Why would any employer hire someone from a school they've likely never heard of (or if they have heard of it, their opinion is likely to be negative), with no ties to the area, when there are literally thousands and thousands of home-grown graduates of better reputed schools who are clamoring over each other for ANY type of legal work?
3. In many states, and in parts of California, an Evangelical K-12 education isn't seen as a bad thing, and we have our fair share of modern-quasireligious colleges (Loyola, Pepperdine, etc). But for law school, a program that is PERCEIVED the way Regent often is (extremist, backward, Bible-thumping, Bible-literalists, science-deniers, etc) will almost certainly work against you here. And we may all be "liberal scum" and have no Christian values or whatever other offensive prejudices YOU have, but when you're asking for a job--no, begging, which you WILL be doing from Regent--in California, well, you're kind of on their turf, and ultimately the potential employer's POV will matter more than yours.

Bottom line: Things will not go the way you want them to. I promise. Don't come to California with a Regent JD and expect anything at all. Stay in Virginia and flip a coin, or consider yourself a martyr while you torture yourself re-studying for the LSAT & kick ass at splitter-friendly CA school. For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, please consider these your only two options.



Well thanks for your input on the situation and I guess I will be flipping a coin in VA the rest of my life as you say then. As far as "Offensive prejudices" that I have as you say, I can go all day back and forth with you and your do anything you want because there is no God mentality. It is pointless to even argue with a liberal because you don't even see the wreckage beneath your feet from the liberal party's actions. Soon there will be no rules and brothers and sisters can marry each other, child molesters will be allowed to molest children as well as many other monstrosities that all follow your same liberal freedoms against Christian prejudices as you say.

I guess we'll just see what we'll see but I cannot truly believe all of you when you say that going to Regent will never allow me to have a good career as a lawyer even say 10 years from now with experience and natural ability. Maybe the difference between me and all of you is that I don't expect to make $160k a year fresh out of law school and nor do I really care to. I would be just fine making between $50-$65k my first year or 2 out of law school.


Sure it's possible to get have a good career coming out of Regent, it's just that the odds are incredible against you. Would you feel comfortable buying $50,000 worth of lottery tickets? Would you still get offended if people told you that doing that is a stupid decision? And it's not about the difference between 160K or 50-65K; you stand a very significant chance of spending three years and tens of thousands of dollars (or more if you lose your scholarship, which is also a very real possibility) to not get any legal job whatsoever after law school. And if you think that you could get a non-legal job for 2-3 years while searching for a legal job, then you don't understand the legal hiring market. No one is going to want to hire a JD with 2-3 years of no legal experience when there is a continuous flood of new JDs to choose from. If you miss out on getting a legal job straight out of law school, you ship may have sailed for ever getting a legal job.

So, all that said, I think retaking is worth it. Even if it's not fun. 5-6 points on the LSAT makes a huge difference in job prospects.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kwais » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 am

kfeaston wrote: As far as "Offensive prejudices" that I have as you say, I can go all day back and forth with you and your do anything you want because there is no God mentality. It is pointless to even argue with a liberal because you don't even see the wreckage beneath your feet from the liberal party's actions. Soon there will be no rules and brothers and sisters can marry each other, child molesters will be allowed to molest children as well as many other monstrosities that all follow your same liberal freedoms against Christian prejudices as you say.


you deserve all of the heartache and misery that is coming your way by attending Regent. Your thinnly veiled attacks against homosexuals are gross. I thank your lord that your school options will keep you out of positions of influence.

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 am

kwais wrote:
kfeaston wrote: As far as "Offensive prejudices" that I have as you say, I can go all day back and forth with you and your do anything you want because there is no God mentality. It is pointless to even argue with a liberal because you don't even see the wreckage beneath your feet from the liberal party's actions. Soon there will be no rules and brothers and sisters can marry each other, child molesters will be allowed to molest children as well as many other monstrosities that all follow your same liberal freedoms against Christian prejudices as you say.


you deserve all of the heartache and misery that is coming your way by attending Regent. Your thinnly veiled attacks against homosexuals are gross. I thank your lord that your school options will keep you out of positions of influence.



We all know that if it weren't for homosexuals that the world would be a mere shadow of what it is today correct? ya right Dumb [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kwais » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:43 am

kfeaston wrote:We all know that if it weren't for homosexuals that the world would be a mere shadow of what it is today correct? ya right Dumb gay man

Wow nice hacking further goes to show how you can't handle the truth and you even veil my message by using your further homosexual garbage


Barely english

uchi12
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby uchi12 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:44 am

.
Last edited by uchi12 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajaxconstructions
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby ajaxconstructions » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:30 am

PSA: OP is a flame

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby flem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 am

kfeaston wrote:Also what is so great about other schools that Regent is lacking? Who cares if they are not a bunch of liberal scum and actually have some Christian values is that so bad? I mean seriously what is some other law school going to teach me that Regent cannot?


weak flame bro

kfeaston wrote:We all know that if it weren't for homosexuals that the world would be a mere shadow of what it is today correct? ya right Dumb gay man


i did lol here though
Last edited by flem on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:21 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:PSA: OP is a flame
.

Yep, if OP were legit he would be too stupid for words. I suppose it's possible he is having someone transcribe his posts while he incessantly bangs his head against the wall muttering about "the gays".

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby top30man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:33 am

flem wrote:
kfeaston wrote:Also what is so great about other schools that Regent is lacking? Who cares if they are not a bunch of liberal scum and actually have some Christian values is that so bad? I mean seriously what is some other law school going to teach me that Regent cannot?


weak flame bro

kfeaston wrote:We all know that if it weren't for homosexuals that the world would be a mere shadow of what it is today correct? ya right Dumb gay man


i did lol here though

I did too. It was a fun, but poor attempt.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 am

kfeaston just earned himself a week's time out.

howardsbest
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby howardsbest » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:36 am

I am a rising 3L at CUA Law and the best advice I can give you is the following:
1. Figure out if you want to work in some special area of in SD
2. Doesn't hurt to contact local SD schools to find out about clerkships and other jobs
3. Check all the courts in the SD area for clerkships (you might have to do something unpaid your first summer, but it will get your foot in the door.)


Most importantly, if that is what you really want to do then make it happen. I was waitlisted at CUA and did everything I could to get in. Once I got there I worked my butt off and now I am at the place I want to be.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby moonman157 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:56 am

kwais wrote:
kfeaston wrote: As far as "Offensive prejudices" that I have as you say, I can go all day back and forth with you and your do anything you want because there is no God mentality. It is pointless to even argue with a liberal because you don't even see the wreckage beneath your feet from the liberal party's actions. Soon there will be no rules and brothers and sisters can marry each other, child molesters will be allowed to molest children as well as many other monstrosities that all follow your same liberal freedoms against Christian prejudices as you say.


you deserve all of the heartache and misery that is coming your way by attending Regent. Your thinnly veiled attacks against homosexuals are gross. I thank your lord that your school options will keep you out of positions of influence.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:39 am

OP seems to be a perfect fit for Regent imo.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby vpintz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 am

welp, this thread certainly reminded me why it was a good life choice to foe the OP




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests