Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:14 am

Before I get all kinds of retake the LSAT and 4th tier hate please only answer this question I ask directly without wasting either of our time by posting something similar to that of above thank you.

I am going to be attending Regent Law School on a 3/4 ride scholly. However, Regent is in Virginia and I want to live and work in San Diego or Orange County CA.

So with these facts, including the fact that I will not be waiting another year nor going to another school, what is the best way to prepare for the CA bar exam and to wind up with a job in the CA area while attending a law school in VA? Also would it be a good idea to get a job in VA right after I graduate law school and get a year or 2 of experience before trying to go to CA? My goal is to get to CA as soon as possible once I graduate law school.

Thank you!

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:42 am

If you were attending a 4th tier in the area you wanted to work in, at least you could clerk part-time while you were in school, attend local bar events and network like crazy, reach out to alumni in the area, etc. These sorts of things tend to be easier when you're going to school in the area where you want to work. The chances of you getting what you want are very slim.

You'll prepare for the bar exam the same way everyone else does, by taking a bar prep course.

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 am

cinephile wrote:If you were attending a 4th tier in the area you wanted to work in, at least you could clerk part-time while you were in school, attend local bar events and network like crazy, reach out to alumni in the area, etc. These sorts of things tend to be easier when you're going to school in the area where you want to work. The chances of you getting what you want are very slim.

You'll prepare for the bar exam the same way everyone else does, by taking a bar prep course.



Can I take internships in CA during the summer? I know Regent has some connections out there. That would help wouldn't it?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 am

kfeaston wrote:
cinephile wrote:If you were attending a 4th tier in the area you wanted to work in, at least you could clerk part-time while you were in school, attend local bar events and network like crazy, reach out to alumni in the area, etc. These sorts of things tend to be easier when you're going to school in the area where you want to work. The chances of you getting what you want are very slim.

You'll prepare for the bar exam the same way everyone else does, by taking a bar prep course.



Can I take internships in CA during the summer? I know Regent has some connections out there. That would help wouldn't it?


It's better than nothing.

On the other hand, if you can't get a job in California after this experience, you might find it hard to get a job in Virginia because you spent your summers away and don't look like you're committed to the area.

But, really, you know the best way to get a paying legal job in California is to go to a better ranked school in California.

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 am

cinephile wrote:
kfeaston wrote:
cinephile wrote:If you were attending a 4th tier in the area you wanted to work in, at least you could clerk part-time while you were in school, attend local bar events and network like crazy, reach out to alumni in the area, etc. These sorts of things tend to be easier when you're going to school in the area where you want to work. The chances of you getting what you want are very slim.

You'll prepare for the bar exam the same way everyone else does, by taking a bar prep course.



Can I take internships in CA during the summer? I know Regent has some connections out there. That would help wouldn't it?


It's better than nothing.

On the other hand, if you can't get a job in California after this experience, you might find it hard to get a job in Virginia because you spent your summers away and don't look like you're committed to the area.

But, really, you know the best way to get a paying legal job in California is to go to a better ranked school in California.



My problem is this:
I was an alcoholic for a few years after I got out of the military and did bad at community college (2.98 gpa) and then failed out of the next college I went to getting 5 F's and a D. I took a couple years off and got my self together and went to a new school where I totally changed my major and graduated with a 3.77 gpa with only 30 credits transferring in from associates degree I got from CC. At the time that I submitted my transcripts to LSAC I had not finished yet and they said my cumalative GPA was 2.68. I sent them another copy of my now graduated transcript which will include about 8 more A's to that lousy 2.68 cumalative GPA. I scored a 158 LSAT score. Lets say I ace my 1L at Regent, what would then be my chances of even getting into a good CA school as you say?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:03 am

But you can't count on acing your 1L year at Regent. It's incredibly unlikely. But it's not that hard to retake the LSAT. Many people improve and if you did really well, you could overcome the low GPA and still manage to attend a decent school. There are students at Northwestern now with similar GPAs to yours. It's just crazy to thow away the potential to go to a better school and have better prospects just to go to school now.

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:11 am

cinephile wrote:But you can't count on acing your 1L year at Regent. It's incredibly unlikely. But it's not that hard to retake the LSAT. Many people improve and if you did really well, you could overcome the low GPA and still manage to attend a decent school. There are students at Northwestern now with similar GPAs to yours. It's just crazy to thow away the potential to go to a better school and have better prospects just to go to school now.



The most blazingly obvious point for me at this point in my life is the 3/4 ride scholly to Regent. As well as time and I cannot imagine doing much better than I did on the LSAT (maybe an extra 5-6 points for 3 more months of agony?) so I cant imagine I would get a scholly (including my crappy cumalative gpa which will never be adequate again for 1L) and I would be forced to pay sticker price to whatever college that having 5-6 more points on my LSAT. So lets say I go the Regent track what would happen?


So please tell me this:

1. I ace my 1L at Regent and get within the top 10% of the class what would be my chances of transferring to a good school in CA?

2. I am above the 50% maybe even in the 25% of Regent my 1L what would be my chances of transferring then?


Thank you for your time

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:17 am

Your chances of transferring are nil. Sorry, but it's true.

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:18 am

cinephile wrote:Your chances of transferring are nil. Sorry, but it's true.


for both 1. and 2.?

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:21 am

Also I am a legacy at William and Mary and was waitlisted instead of denied. If I do well in my 1L at Regent and am able to transfer to W&M what would be my chances of making it in CA then?

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 am

Assuming this isn't a flame (which it most likely is)...

Ask Regent to give you a list of CA alumni.

That should disabuse you of any notion of getting back to Cali from Regent b/c either a)they won't give you a list or b)there's 5 total alumni in CA.

Regent is a terrible choice for everyone outside the biggest of bible thumpers. You're about to throw away 3 more years with an entirely unrealistic goal of getting to California from one of the shittiest law schools in the country that's also 3,000 miles away. Plus, I'm assuming there's a massive stip on that scholarship...and you have to worry about section stacking to boot.

My advice isn't retake... my advice is stay out of law school. You don't have the qualifications (shitty GPA, mediocre at best LSAT), you're a recovering alcoholic going into a stressful academic setting which in turn if you're extremely lucky would lead you to a profession with one of the highest alcoholism rates in America, and you're doing so 3,000 miles away from where you want to be.

Of course, you're going to ignore all of this b/c you're a special snowflake who will somehow transfer out of Regent and get a good job in CA. Or you're trolling.

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 am

notedgarfigaro wrote:Assuming this isn't a flame (which it most likely is)...

Ask Regent to give you a list of CA alumni.

That should disabuse you of any notion of getting back to Cali from Regent b/c either a)they won't give you a list or b)there's 5 total alumni in CA.

Regent is a terrible choice for everyone outside the biggest of bible thumpers. You're about to throw away 3 more years with an entirely unrealistic goal of getting to California from one of the shittiest law schools in the country that's also 3,000 miles away. Plus, I'm assuming there's a massive stip on that scholarship...and you have to worry about section stacking to boot.

My advice isn't retake... my advice is stay out of law school. You don't have the qualifications (shitty GPA, mediocre at best LSAT), you're a recovering alcoholic going into a stressful academic setting which in turn if you're extremely lucky would lead you to a profession with one of the highest alcoholism rates in America, and you're doing so 3,000 miles away from where you want to be.

Of course, you're going to ignore all of this b/c you're a special snowflake who will somehow transfer out of Regent and get a good job in CA. Or you're trolling.


This is good advice. But as the poster above said, you will likely ignore it and go anyways. Try/beg to get any stipulation on the scholarship removed. GL

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am

If you really think you can improve your score 5-6 points then 3 months of agony is definitely way better than a lifetime of debt and unemployment

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:45 am

It would be sublime idiocy to attend Regent knowing that, as per LST, you have a coin flip shot at real legal work, much less trying to get a job in CA.

Also you seem to be too clouded by special snowflake syndrome to realize that because you have about a 95% chance of not being able to transfer.

HTH

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 pm

You people are all so negative and the things you have all said are easy for you to say from your vantage point. You're right though, I am going to Regent, special snowflake or not. If I can't go to CA then I guess I'll just have to live in Va Beach. I have heard all I feel like hearing as most of you have just tried to smear everything so please on't leave any more comments and if there is a way to delete this thread please let me know as you all say the same thing. God forbid I don't go to a top 10 law school.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:21 pm

kfeaston wrote:You people are all so negative and the things you have all said are easy for you to say from your vantage point. You're right though, I am going to Regent, special snowflake or not. If I can't go to CA then I guess I'll just have to live in Va Beach. I have heard all I feel like hearing as most of you have just tried to smear everything so please on't leave any more comments and if there is a way to delete this thread please let me know as you all say the same thing. God forbid I don't go to a top 10 law school.


bless your little heart, sugar.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 pm

kfeaston wrote:You people are all so negative and the things you have all said are easy for you to say from your vantage point. You're right though, I am going to Regent, special snowflake or not. If I can't go to CA then I guess I'll just have to live in Va Beach. I have heard all I feel like hearing as most of you have just tried to smear everything so please on't leave any more comments and if there is a way to delete this thread please let me know as you all say the same thing. God forbid I don't go to a top 10 law school.

Did you miss the part where I said you have a coin flip shot at real legal work?

I also don't go to a T10 school, nor am I saying you need to go to one. Nice straw man.

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby TTTehehe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:29 pm

kfeaston wrote:You people are all so negative and the things you have all said are easy for you to say from your vantage point. You're right though, I am going to Regent, special snowflake or not. If I can't go to CA then I guess I'll just have to live in Va Beach. I have heard all I feel like hearing as most of you have just tried to smear everything so please on't leave any more comments and if there is a way to delete this thread please let me know as you all say the same thing. God forbid I don't go to a top 10 law school.


Retake LSAT and reapply to CA schools. Don't expect to transfer, because you have a 99% chance of not being in the top 1% - which is what you would likely need to transfer out of Regent.

You would need to go to a school with national rep to get the summer jobs in CA that will aid in getting a CA post grad position. This will be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very hard from Regent. If you want to practice in CA, and you can't get into a national school, then you need to focus on CA schools.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 pm

kfeaston wrote:You people are all so negative and the things you have all said are easy for you to say from your vantage point. You're right though, I am going to Regent, special snowflake or not. If I can't go to CA then I guess I'll just have to live in Va Beach. I have heard all I feel like hearing as most of you have just tried to smear everything so please on't leave any more comments and if there is a way to delete this thread please let me know as you all say the same thing. God forbid I don't go to a top 10 law school.

don't listen to the haters. follow your dreams!

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby TTTehehe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:52 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO


You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 pm

TTTehehe wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO


You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.


I completely agree with what is said above. But OP has said s/he is going no matter what. If s/he does go, I'd be someone to talk to about it. I saw a lot of people's dreams/plans crushed. Thanks for the transfer love!

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 am

TTTehehe wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO


You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.



Well the stipulation is to hold a 3.0 gpa that shouldn't be too hard

kfeaston
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 am

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby kfeaston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:02 am

Also what is so great about other schools that Regent is lacking? Who cares if they are not a bunch of liberal scum and actually have some Christian values is that so bad? I mean seriously what is some other law school going to teach me that Regent cannot?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Attending Law School in different state than wanted to live

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:02 am

kfeaston wrote:
TTTehehe wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:I went to a TTTT. Transferring out now. So I made the decision you are about to make. It was the best decision of my life, however I ended up in the 1%. Get the stipulation removed, study all day, everyday. GL

I am not advising you to go, but if you do, I'd be someone to listen to IMO


You are not explicitly advising him to go, but you are encouraging him. It was the best decision of your life to go to the TTTT because you made top 1% and because you got into good schools as a transfer. What you did is not the norm, and it is the outlier experience. I don't think anyone is telling OP that transferring to a good school is impossible, only that it is 1. very hard, and 2. very unlikely. I think if you ask the rest of your 1L class at your old school, you can verify this. Congrats on your transfer, btw.

OP, the bold text is the best piece of advice if you do decide to go. At least if you don't make the transfer cut, you won't be in severe debt.


lol Regent curves to a C bro, so a 3.0 is waaaay above median.
Well the stipulation is to hold a 3.0 gpa that shouldn't be too hard




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tomwatts and 2 guests