Getting a federal job in ITE

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
applesoranges123

Getting a federal job in ITE

Postby applesoranges123 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey, so I've been reading on this forum about bigfed, but it seems like ppl really focus on DOJ, SEC, FTC, etc., when they discuss those, and how difficult they are to get these days...Are getting internships/jobs at places like USAID, Department of Health, NYC government, etc. extremely competitive as well? And if they are attainable, what is the best way to go about securing an internship/job there?? I wasn't planning on doing any internships my 1L year, but it seems that the best way to get one of these gigs is by interning during the semester since there's less competition for them, and it would allow you to get your foot in the door. I would love to work at a place like the UN, but I realize that those jobs are ridic to get (and also i dont know if working at the un would qualify your for lrap/ibr, etc.) Also, if you start working at one gov agency, and then decide you want to switch to another issue/agency, is this very difficult to do?? Thanks so much!!

fatduck

Re: Getting a federal job in ITE

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm

getting an internship isn't that hard, the issue is that full-time offers are nonexistent, and getting your foot in the door is meaningless.

but that doesn't really matter for 1L summer

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah I mean I wasn't necessarily talking about just the 1L summer, I guess I was talking more about having the internship lead to a job after graduation...so getting a job at USAID, Department of Health, or some other gov agency or something after graduation is very difficult?? NYC gov does hire ppl as entry level attorneys from their internship program, but I believe that is quite competitive....

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:Yeah I mean I wasn't necessarily talking about just the 1L summer, I guess I was talking more about having the internship lead to a job after graduation...so getting a job at USAID, Department of Health, or some other gov agency or something after graduation is very difficult?? NYC gov does hire ppl as entry level attorneys from their internship program, but I believe that is quite competitive....

far too competitive to make it your primary option before entering law school. ask again this time next year when you have killer grades from HYS.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:46 pm

When the problem is a hiring freeze, credentials can only do so much to overcome it.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:09 pm

hmm...it doesnt look like this hiring freeze is gonna change any time soon right? what are people doing instead now (other than the unemployed lol), just going into regular public interest work at other types of organizations?? good to know my options at least i guess haha..thanks!

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:09 pm

IAFG wrote:When the problem is a hiring freeze, credentials can only do so much to overcome it.

This is the big issue. IAFG, do you know of any major fed gov places even hiring?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:13 pm

top30man wrote:
IAFG wrote:When the problem is a hiring freeze, credentials can only do so much to overcome it.

This is the big issue. IAFG, do you know of any major fed gov places even hiring?

I've heard of the occasional one-off hire, but it's my unstudied understanding that the freeze is fedgov-wide and is only lifted under special circumstances.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:14 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:hmm...it doesnt look like this hiring freeze is gonna change any time soon right? what are people doing instead now (other than the unemployed lol), just going into regular public interest work at other types of organizations?? good to know my options at least i guess haha..thanks!

Some people are doing fellowships, some people are doing PI, lots of others are just plain getting shitpwnd and scrambling for firm work because bad economic conditions leads to decreased funding for PI groups.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:17 pm

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm not sure why anyone would want to be a government lawyer. You just do the bidding of some bureaucrat who actually makes the policy he makes you write / enforce. At least you get paid well to be a banker / business's bitch. Plus you'll have to do shit that you think is bad policy all the time while if you are advising a business, the goal is to maximize $ so your opinion on what to do actually matters if you think you can save or get some more of it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would want to be a government lawyer. You just do the bidding of some bureaucrat who actually makes the policy he makes you write / enforce. At least you get paid well to be a banker / business's bitch. Plus you'll have to do shit that you think is bad policy all the time while if you are advising a business, the goal is to maximize $ so your opinion on what to do actually matters if you think you can save or get some more of it.

Hours, benefits, reliability. Law students tend to tremendously undervalue their fringe bennies. Which allows big firms to get away with some really shitty benefit plans.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Are any of those entry-level?

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm

IAFG wrote:

I'm not sure. I just am cautious about the term hiring freeze being thrown around. Hiring freeze leads me to think zero hiring.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 pm

drmguy wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I'm not sure. I just am cautious about the term hiring freeze being thrown around. Hiring freeze leads me to think zero hiring.

Well it's not as strict as that. There are a lot of limitations on new hires and new position creation. And lateraling within fedgov, from what I understand, has always been active and still is, so the existence of job listings isn't very meaningful.

Some grim reading that is a little old, but I think not out of date: http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/ ... d-species/

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Whoever said "killer grades" from HYS for NYC government jobs is way overdoing it. The jobs aren't easy to get but that's not really how they determine who gets them. I think that a lot of people really don't understand how PI hiring works. Other than places like the DOJ and the SEC it really doesn't work like biglaw. I'm not saying grades and school are irrelevant, but it's simply not the deciding factor like it is with DOJ/SEC/Biglaw.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Whoever said "killer grades" from HYS for NYC government jobs is way overdoing it. The jobs aren't easy to get but that's not really how they determine who gets them. I think that a lot of people really don't understand how PI hiring works. Other than places like the DOJ and the SEC it really doesn't work like biglaw. I'm not saying grades and school are irrelevant, but it's simply not the deciding factor like it is with DOJ/SEC/Biglaw.

Yeah I mean I've also heard that with gov/PI/internationally-affiliated jobs (except for the most prestigious ones), its more about if you have relevant work experience for the particular position that you are hiring for. Other than HYS, which schools would be best in the T14 to go to for this line of work?

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Whoever said "killer grades" from HYS for NYC government jobs is way overdoing it. The jobs aren't easy to get but that's not really how they determine who gets them. I think that a lot of people really don't understand how PI hiring works. Other than places like the DOJ and the SEC it really doesn't work like biglaw. I'm not saying grades and school are irrelevant, but it's simply not the deciding factor like it is with DOJ/SEC/Biglaw.

Yeah I mean I've also heard that with gov/PI/internationally-affiliated jobs (except for the most prestigious ones), its more about if you have relevant work experience for the particular position that you are hiring for. Other than HYS, which schools would be best in the T14 to go to for this line of work?

+1

You don't necessarily need T14. It certainly helps, but you can snag jobs with strong local schools and good GPA. This depends on the location obviously.

Edit: Btw, much easier to get comparable paying JDA jobs in those agencies. Think OIG, OOP, etc.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 pm

This is all speculative obviously, but does anybody have any thoughts as to when the hiring freeze would end (or when govt/PI hiring would pick up?)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”