Working During School (TTT) = Higher Chance of Employment?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
barestin

Working During School (TTT) = Higher Chance of Employment?

Postby barestin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Finished my first year of law school, have an internship with a federal judge over summer, and a fall law clerk position lined up with a small boutique firm in my market. If I go through with working part-time this fall, it will be the third firm I have worked at in the past year (not including this summer internship). I feel that working for two solo practioners in the past (one during my 1L year) and the judge I am working for now has really helped me network, prove myself, and learn about different areas of civil litigation (which I am interested in practicing). Keep in mind that I go to a TTT school, so OCI BigLaw is not really an option for me (nor do I really want it).

I guess my question is: do I have the right idea in planing to keep working throughout law school as a way of networking and getting a good reputation to boost my chances of getting post-grad employment, or should I strictly focus on grades and only work summers? I expect to graduate at least in the top third of my class, and possibly top 15% Thanks.

barestin

Re: Working During School (TTT) = Higher Chance of Employment?

Postby barestin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:24 pm

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Guy at my work (in-house at a tech company) worked as a paralegal at the company during law school. Passed the bar this past July (2011) and is now an associate counsel. He went to a TTTT btw.
Last edited by scrowell on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barestin

Postby barestin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:47 pm

scrowell wrote:Guy at my work (in-house at a tech company) worked as a paralegal at the company during law school. Passed the bar this past July and is now an associate counsel. He went to a TTTT btw.

That's awesome. Was it a surprise for him or did he stay there that long because they extended him an offer during school? Decent pay? Thanks for sharing.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:52 pm

barestin wrote:Finished my first year of law school, have an internship with a federal judge over summer, and a fall law clerk position lined up with a small boutique firm in my market. If I go through with working part-time this fall, it will be the third firm I have worked at in the past year (not including this summer internship). I feel that working for two solo practioners in the past (one during my 1L year) and the judge I am working for now has really helped me network, prove myself, and learn about different areas of civil litigation (which I am interested in practicing). Keep in mind that I go to a TTT school, so OCI BigLaw is not really an option for me (nor do I really want it).

I guess my question is: do I have the right idea in planing to keep working throughout law school as a way of networking and getting a good reputation to boost my chances of getting post-grad employment, or should I strictly focus on grades and only work summers? I expect to graduate at least in the top third of my class, and possibly top 15% Thanks.

You have the right idea bro. Good shit.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:07 pm

barestin wrote:
scrowell wrote:Guy at my work (in-house at a tech company) worked as a paralegal at the company during law school. Passed the bar this past July and is now an associate counsel. He went to a TTTT btw.

That's awesome. Was it a surprise for him or did he stay there that long because they extended him an offer during school? Decent pay? Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure when he was offered the job. And yes, my company pays pretty well.

barestin

Postby barestin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
barestin wrote:Finished my first year of law school, have an internship with a federal judge over summer, and a fall law clerk position lined up with a small boutique firm in my market. If I go through with working part-time this fall, it will be the third firm I have worked at in the past year (not including this summer internship). I feel that working for two solo practioners in the past (one during my 1L year) and the judge I am working for now has really helped me network, prove myself, and learn about different areas of civil litigation (which I am interested in practicing). Keep in mind that I go to a TTT school, so OCI BigLaw is not really an option for me (nor do I really want it).

Thanks, breh.

barestin

Postby barestin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Thanks, breh.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”