What is the curve for GW?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DC_Patent_Law

What is the curve for GW?

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Does GW have a 3.3 curve? That's what I've heard. Sounds pretty good to me. Thoughts on pros/cons?

dudders

Re: What is the curve for GW?

Postby dudders » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't know where you heard that because the curve is 3.2. I'm really not sure what is meant by pro/con - do you have a more specific question?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Does GW have a 3.3 curve? That's what I've heard. Sounds pretty good to me. Thoughts on pros/cons?

Why does that sound good? Your GPA doesn't matter so much as your class rank.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Ok, basically its not a 3.0 curve which is good.

dudders wrote:I don't know where you heard that because the curve is 3.2. I'm really not sure what is meant by pro/con - do you have a more specific question?
DC_Patent_Law wrote:Does GW have a 3.3 curve? That's what I've heard. Sounds pretty good to me. Thoughts on pros/cons?

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 pm

cinephile wrote:

Yes, but a lot of times recruiters are looking for "Top tier/GPA above 3.3" or some other requirement like that. Not all ask for class rank (not my firm) and 10-15 years down the line no one is asking either. A +0.2 to you GPA never hurt anyone. You could graduate with a 3.0 in the middle of your class or with a 3.3 in the middle of your class. That is what I'm getting at.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:54 am

DC_Patent_Law wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Yes, but a lot of times recruiters are looking for "Top tier/GPA above 3.3" or some other requirement like that. Not all ask for class rank (not my firm) and 10-15 years down the line no one is asking either. A +0.2 to you GPA never hurt anyone. You could graduate with a 3.0 in the middle of your class or with a 3.3 in the middle of your class. That is what I'm getting at.

I take it from your username you want to do IP/patent law? If what you're asking is whether median and above seems to be okay for a person wanting to do IP/patent law at OCI, then yes, if you are around a 3.2-3.3, you will be okay. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

You won't be able to get one of the big patent firms if you are only around median, but you will probably get something barring a horrible interview, poor bidding strategy, etc.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”