How did 1L summer associate position affect future?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
katesearches

How did 1L summer associate position affect future?

Postby katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm wondering how 1L summer associate positions affected future positions (such as 2L summer, biglaw OCI, etc). I'd love to hear people's experiences. Also, I know 1L summer associate positions are rare/harder to come by, so I'm just noting my awareness of this fact and am still seeking feedback on this.

ALSO - For 2L + OCI, I really want to practice in City X, so I'm seeking to get feedback on possible scenarios:
1. Summer Associate position in mid-size law office near my school which is NOT in City X
2. Summer Associate position in any law office/firm in City X

Would #2 put me at a disadvantage for future 2L/OCI positions? For example, let's say I get some position at a mid-size or small firm for 1L in City X. When employers (at a better firm in City X) interview me for 2L summer, won't they think it's weird that I'm not going back there for 2L?

Would it be better/safer for me to just stick with #1?

Anonymous User

Re: How did 1L summer associate position affect future?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:31 pm

You could always split your 2L summer (if the firms allow it), and return to your 1L firm for the second summer while also taking a 2L SA at the target firm.

Maybe wait until you get your first semester grades back before you even start to worry about this. As you noted, most 1Ls do not get SAs, so odds are that this won't even be an issue for you in a few months.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Are you really posting anonymously about a hypothetical 1L SA next summer, before you've even start school?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:39 pm

bdubs wrote:Are you really posting anonymously about a hypothetical 1L SA next summer, before you've even start school?

This is why 0Ls can't have nice things [in this subforum].

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 pm

bdubs wrote:Are you really posting anonymously about a hypothetical 1L SA next summer, before you've even start school?

no, he's posting anonymously about choosing between multiple hypothetical 1L SA offers next summer, before he's even started school.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 pm

fatduck wrote:

no, he's posting anonymously about choosing between multiple hypothetical 1L SA offers next summer, before he's even started school.

Did he post anon to hide what he knew was a stupid question, or because he was too stupid to read the sticky?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey guys, let's say I want to lateral after a few post-clerkship years with an elite litigation firm. If I go to school in Chicago but want to eventually end up in Texas, will Susman Godfrey find it weird that I went with Keller post-clerkship instead of Bartlit Beck? Which firm should I choose?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”