CLE your 1L year

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

CLE your 1L year

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Question:
My resume is pretty bare bones. As in...I have a year of work experience outside of my undergraduate aaand....that's about it. The work doesn't even really have anything related to the law field. :? I didn't do anything exciting, I'm a boring person who hasn't attended or done anything extra in recent memory and I want to be able to stand out in the 1L job search.

My question is this: Do you think that attending CLEs your first semester as a 1L is an effective way to fill in this gap? Or is that 'running before you can walk' to most people?

Also, in a related question, would it actually be valuable to me my first semester, or would it be a waste of time?

heeloftar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 am

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby heeloftar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 pm

IMO: You would only get value if 1) it was an area of law you are interested in and 2) you treat it more like a networking opp than a learning opp

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 pm

What about as a resume filler?

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:47 pm

I think putting CLEs on your resume would be pretty weird.

ETA: You should still attend them if they're free and on a topic you find interesting. You could certainly learn something and maybe even meet some lawyers who are in practice in an area you like. But they're not really resume material. CLEs are often just for basically attending law school lectures.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:17 pm

heeloftar wrote:IMO: You would only get value if 1) it was an area of law you are interested in and 2) you treat it more like a networking opp than a learning opp


+1

Make sure it is something you are interested in so you can learn how an area of law works in the real world a little better. Mostly use it as a networking opportunity though...

That being said, I wouldn't do it 1st semester. 1st semester is brutal. Wait till the spring.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:31 pm

All right, thanks for the info guys.

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby EvelynS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Question:
My resume is pretty bare bones. As in...I have a year of work experience outside of my undergraduate aaand....that's about it. The work doesn't even really have anything related to the law field. :? I didn't do anything exciting, I'm a boring person who hasn't attended or done anything extra in recent memory and I want to be able to stand out in the 1L job search.

My question is this: Do you think that attending CLEs your first semester as a 1L is an effective way to fill in this gap? Or is that 'running before you can walk' to most people?

Also, in a related question, would it actually be valuable to me my first semester, or would it be a waste of time?


I do not think it will give you any benefit...unless it covers the topic of your interest and the faculty is stellar. Otherwise, it is pretty boring. Networking...maybe...not sure. Most people attend CLEs to get their annual number of credits as required by OCA (not all states actually require CLE credits to keep practicing) and they are on their laptops doing work most of the time. Of course, it depends on the program. Some programs are actually attended only because of networking opportunities. It is solely up to you. However, do not put it on your resume.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby cinephile » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 pm

I've gone to CLEs to network as a 1L. I didn't find it that boring and there's usually food.

EvelynS
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby EvelynS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm

cinephile wrote:I've gone to CLEs to network as a 1L. I didn't find it that boring and there's usually food.



I probably find them boring because I work in CLE department :) Our organization is not very creative to come up with very interesting programs. Though, we had quite a few interesting programs.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Might strike some resume readers as odd & confusing for a 1L to list CLE courses on a resume unless attended for a clear & compelling reason such as a DUI/DWI seminar after receiving a citation. Additionally, if one attends a seminar involving a demonstrated area of interest (e.g., immigration law updates) or to prepare for an internship/externship (e.g., local rules of criminal procedure). An explanation should be offered, in my opinion.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: CLE your 1L year

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Guerilla Tactics says you should put CLEs on your resume (take that as you will). I really think this works for firms/orgs that specialize in a certain area of law and you want to show your commitment. I would attend them all anyway, for the networking experience, opportunity to meet people, and the information you can get on different practice areas, but only put them on your resume if it's appropriate for the employer you're applying to. Also, bear in mind that the people at these CLEs are the kind of people you are going to have as colleagues in the future. It makes sense to go and get a feel for what the different practice communities are like.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests