TT Valedictorian Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cabbydui

New

Re: TT Valedictorian Taking Questions

Post by cabbydui » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:13 pm

AlanShore wrote:on average, how many hours did you study (reading, taking notes, anything) during the week and weekend? (same question for after legal writing ended)

Thanks.. and you're amazing. Congrats!
Reading assingments for classes generally ranged from 40-60 pages/week. I'd read contracts Friday afternoon-evening; crim law and some torts on Saturday; the rest of torts and civ pro on Sunday (the civ pro prof did not have a syllabus and only gave the assignment for the next day's session so I'd only have to read about 20 pages for that). I would read the pertinent section of Emmanuel's before doing the casebook reading to give myself context and then read the Emmanuel's after reading the casebook as well to cement what I had read. The length of time depended on the amount of pages assigned but 10-15 pages/hour was usually my pace during 1L. I'd spend about 2-3 hours on legal writing a night during the week. It's the type of class where the more time you spend on it the better your product will be. It's also a class where you need to devote chunks of time rather than working on it an hour here and an hour there. Once legal writing was over I'd use the 2-3 hours per night during the week to do practice m/c questions for the book classes.

With regard to reading class notes I didn't start doing that until about a week before Thanksgiving break and then really focused on doing that during break (we had the full week off so those 9 days are really valuable with regard to preparing for finals). Once finals period rolled around I studied exclusively off of the notes from class.

One of the benefits of making Law Review at my school is that you have access to an on-line outline bank that members post each year that is course and professor specific. I used these outlines to supplement the notes from class when preparing for exams. The outlines were also good to look at before class because it showed what the professor thought was important for that particular class session.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Did OP change names in the middle of this threa? #confused

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm

polkij333 wrote:
ttking wrote:6'3" of course.
Can you dunk?
I can. But I've got 3 inches on OP.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Did OP change names in the middle of this threa? #confused

PutSumGravyOnIt

New

Post by PutSumGravyOnIt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Tagski. Thanks OP, keep ballin' man.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 pm

tag

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 pm

So they don't know at graduation who the valedictorian is?

ttking

New

Post by ttking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 pm

ben4847 wrote:So they don't know at graduation who the valedictorian is?
Yeah, we our class voted on a class speaker but it wasn't based on any academic achievement. Our last final was only a few days before the graduation ceremony so grades and rankings weren't out yet. I guess the administration could have just went by fifth semester rankings.

IHeartPhilly

New

Post by IHeartPhilly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Can u describe ur living sitch throughout l.s.?? Could you have achieved these same results as a commuter (assuming u lived w/in walking distance to campus) during 1L?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ttking

New

Post by ttking » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am

I lived with my brother (teacher at a nearby school) about 1.5 miles from the law school. We were both really busy (he has a lot of after school responsibilities) so we hardly ever saw each other. I went to a school that has a big undergrad population so I wanted some distance from the party-scene but didn't want to have a super-long commute either. Since parking on campus costs a fortune, I would drive about a mile and park on a residential street and walk a half-mile to school. It was a good way to get a little exercise and breathe some fresh air before embarking on a long day at school. I think that my living situation was great and definitely played a positive role on my law school success.

I definitely think that living within walking distance of the school would be beneficial.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 am

(tagged) Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”