Do you NEED to have a blazer 1st sem. of LS?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
drbarry987

Do you NEED to have a blazer 1st sem. of LS?

Postby drbarry987 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Getting a BrooksBros charcoal suit. Also have wool grey slacks and two button downs for biz casual. Can I get by with just this for Fall Semester at a CCN and then pick up a navy blazer over the winter break (when BB runs a deeper sale)? Or should all males really have a navy blazer going into LS? tyia

Bronck

Re: Do you NEED to have a blazer 1st sem. of LS?

Postby Bronck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Flame?

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

(srs). c'mon it's TLS, bro. This is the kind of minutia that we strivers stress about. By the response though, sounds like a blazer is not necessary first sem?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm not sure why you think a blazer would be necessary.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:25 pm

are underpants necessary for TT?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:26 pm

ru2486 wrote:are underpants necessary for TT?

Underpants are always optional

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Getting a BrooksBros charcoal suit. Also have wool grey slacks and two button downs for biz casual. Can I get by with just this for Fall Semester at a CCN and then pick up a navy blazer over the winter break (when BB runs a deeper sale)? Or should all males really have a navy blazer going into LS? tyia

Don't forget a bowler hat.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:33 pm

You will need:

2x charcoal suit (single breasted; usually 3 buttons)
1x gray suit (single breasted; 3 buttons)
1x navy suit (2 buttons; double breasted for social gatherings with anyone of the British national variety, which is especially practical if socializing or interviewing with European or Chinese-based firms)
1x olive blazer (single breasted)
1x brown fine-threaded wool sweater to go with olive blazer
3x navy blue blazer (single breasted 2, double breasted on third; 2 buttons on all of them)
1x brown belt
2x black belt (the dye wears off over time so they become brown eventually is why you want two)
1x pair brown loafers
2x pair black loafers
1x small tin of black shoe polish (no polish needed for the brown loafers)
2x blue oxfords
4x white oxfords
1x raspberry red silk oxford (for formal gatherings such as Barrister's Ball or auction venues; usually you would want a tux to go with this, but to save money just use one of your charcoal suits with a bow-tie)
1x aforementioned bow-tie
2x blue and yellow silk tie; goes perfectly with blue blazer/suit
2x red silk tie (can be whatever pattern you please, but not Paisley under any circumstances)
3x-7x silk ties of any conservative variety (no more than 7 or the partners will think you're weird if they look at your wardrobe during your in-house interviews)
1x gold cufflinks (you only need one pair because no one will notice you wearing the same kinds ever)
1x American flag pin (for when you give your oral advocacy argument in LRW second semester)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I wouldn't say you need absolutely all of this to get through 1L, but certainly most of this. Usually a dollar store or JC Penny will have most of this if money is a particularly pressing issue, but the sizes available may vary.
Last edited by Tanicius on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 pm

If you want to be at least above median I would say a blazer is definitely necessary

morrissey

Postby morrissey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:35 pm

As an employee of BB I can tell you that around 4th of July there's going to be a big sale as well as Labor Day weekend. Blazers rarely if ever go more than 40% off so if you can it for that, do it. Also buy it from a factory store, you'll save almost half from retail and the only difference is the buttons, retail is brass and factory is brass plated. But to actually address the question, it sure couldn't hurt to have one at our age, a blazer is so versatile and for the ~$200 it'll cost, just go for it.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:35 pm

I personally really like having a jacket for business casual. That said, you can definitely go without it.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Tanicius wrote:
1x American flag pin (for when you give your oral advocacy argument in LRW second semester)

+1

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 pm

I didn't own a blue blazer my first quarter at UChicago and it was a disaster. I was out of place at blazer-only events and restaurants and was never invited back, my professors constantly passed me over for my blazered chums (even those braniacs in their tweed jackets), and the squash team didn't even put me on their mailing list. But that all changed when I bought a Joseph A. Bank Executive 2-Button Wool Blazer, navy with gold buttons. Now I've been selected to head the law school's vessel in the T6 yachting competition and my professors have sometimes returned my "A" grades before I've even finished the final exam. With its subtle dignity and traditional class, Joseph A. Bank's Executive 2-Button Wool Blazer exudes an air of easy confidence. Throw it on over a pink shirt and a pair of tan slacks for a day at the golf club, or pair it with white linen pants for a summer night on the marina with your best gal.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I didn't own a blue blazer my first quarter at UChicago and it was a disaster. I was out of place at blazer-only events and restaurants and was never invited back, my professors constantly passed me over for my blazered chums (even those braniacs in their tweed jackets), and the squash team didn't even put me on their mailing list. But that all changed when I bought a Joseph A. Bank Executive 2-Button Wool Blazer, navy with gold buttons. Now I've been selected to head the law school's vessel in the T6 yachting competition and my professors have sometimes returned my "A" grades before I've even finished the final exam. With its subtle dignity and traditional class, Joseph A. Bank's Executive 2-Button Wool Blazer exudes an air of easy confidence. Throw it on over a pink shirt and a pair of tan slacks for a day at the golf club, or pair it with white linen pants for a summer night on the marina with your best gal.

I lol'd, sounds like an infomercial. I can see the old you, in black in white images, all alone. Then, as soon as you hit up JAB, color came to your world.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I didn't own a blue blazer my first quarter at UChicago and it was a disaster. I was out of place at blazer-only events and restaurants and was never invited back, my professors constantly passed me over for my blazered chums (even those braniacs in their tweed jackets), and the squash team didn't even put me on their mailing list. But that all changed when I bought a Joseph A. Bank Executive 2-Button Wool Blazer, navy with gold buttons. Now I've been selected to head the law school's vessel in the T6 yachting competition and my professors have sometimes returned my "A" grades before I've even finished the final exam. With its subtle dignity and traditional class, Joseph A. Bank's Executive 2-Button Wool Blazer exudes an air of easy confidence. Throw it on over a pink shirt and a pair of tan slacks for a day at the golf club, or pair it with white linen pants for a summer night on the marina with your best gal.

Shit, I completely forgot pink polo shirt and leather sandals for casual dress gatherings.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 pm

This is why I love it when people ask stupid questions on tls

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 pm

For law school, you will need:
Two pairs of black socks
One pair of Combat boots.
Black ski mask.
Two pairs, black pants
Two Black shirts.
One portible mattress.
$300 personal burial money.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:For law school, you will need:
Two pairs of black socks
One pair of Combat boots.
Black ski mask.
Two pairs, black pants
Two Black shirts.
One portible mattress.
$300 personal burial money.

There's something wrong with this list. I don't recognize any of these brands of alcohol.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 pm

If you don't have a pair of Clark's desert boots in either suede of beeswax leather, you are doinitwrong.jpg

hth

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Came to echo the refrain of JOS. A. BANK, BROTHERS.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Tanicius wrote:You will need:

2x charcoal suit (single breasted; usually 3 buttons)
1x gray suit (single breasted; 3 buttons)
1x navy suit (2 buttons; double breasted for social gatherings with anyone of the British national variety, which is especially practical if socializing or interviewing with European or Chinese-based firms)
1x olive blazer (single breasted)
1x brown fine-threaded wool sweater to go with olive blazer
3x navy blue blazer (single breasted 2, double breasted on third; 2 buttons on all of them)
1x brown belt
2x black belt (the dye wears off over time so they become brown eventually is why you want two)
1x pair brown loafers
2x pair black loafers
1x small tin of black shoe polish (no polish needed for the brown loafers)
2x blue oxfords
4x white oxfords
1x raspberry red silk oxford (for formal gatherings such as Barrister's Ball or auction venues; usually you would want a tux to go with this, but to save money just use one of your charcoal suits with a bow-tie)
1x aforementioned bow-tie
2x blue and yellow silk tie; goes perfectly with blue blazer/suit
2x red silk tie (can be whatever pattern you please, but not Paisley under any circumstances)
3x-7x silk ties of any conservative variety (no more than 7 or the partners will think you're weird if they look at your wardrobe during your in-house interviews)
1x gold cufflinks (you only need one pair because no one will notice you wearing the same kinds ever)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I wouldn't say you need absolutely all of this to get through 1L, but certainly most of this. Usually a dollar store or JC Penny will have most of this if money is a particularly pressing issue, but the sizes available may vary.

Lol...Even though having a nice suit for interviews and networking events is needed (in my opinion).

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Anxiously awaiting OP's next thread: do you NEED to get blazed during your 3rd year of LS?

jessedvhs

Postby jessedvhs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 pm

:lol: That's fucking hilarious.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 pm

TLS HoF Candidate Post.

jessedvhs

Postby jessedvhs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 am

I mean you could always keep it wonhundred in a nice tuxedo T.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”