Working during 1L and possibly 2L and 3L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fashiongirl

Working during 1L and possibly 2L and 3L

Postby fashiongirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:01 pm

So I've used the search function and have found some threads that discuss working while going to law school full-time. I've always been able to handle a job 20-30 hours a week while in college full-time. Obviously I know law school is a different beast and that the full-time school load is a lot of work.

I'm quitting my full-time job to start school, and it's such an easy job. I can do it remotely. Our SVP actually told me that I should come back after I graduate to work as in-house counsel. I love the company and that would obviously be my dream job. I'd like to keep ties with them, but how realistic is it to work (probably 10-15 hours a week) during school? I'd probably have to go in to the office once a week for a few hours.

Are there any law students or grads that can pitch their perspective on working while in school full-time?

DCDuck

Re: Working during 1L and possibly 2L and 3L

Postby DCDuck » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:10 pm

It's fine 2L and 3L (but would recommend you try to work in legal capacity.) The ABA prohibits full-time first year students from working (or is that a school-by-school thing?). I also think you cannot work more than 20 hrs/wk 2L and 3L. If you must keep working, or want to badly enough, you can go to a part-time program and take 4 years to graduate.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 pm

DCDuck wrote:It's fine 2L and 3L (but would recommend you try to work in legal capacity.) The ABA prohibits full-time first year students from working (or is that a school-by-school thing?). I also think you cannot work more than 20 hrs/wk 2L and 3L. If you must keep working, or want to badly enough, you can go to a part-time program and take 4 years to graduate.
It is a school-by-school thing 1L year. The ABA only prevents full-time students (of any year) from working more than 20 hours.

I'm just a 0L myself, but every time someone makes one of these threads, the general concensus is to not work 1L year if at ALL possible, except maybe you have the world's easiest job with flexible hours and are allowed to study at work.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:29 pm

I know everyone says that, but I think that you could pull off working during 1L, the problem is that you don't really want to leave 1L without thinking that you spent every minute that you could trying to get the best grades you could, however, if this job could realistically lead to employment after school and if that is a desirable outcome for you, I'd say to keeping working there part time and keep this opportunity open. I mean, you try to get good grades, in order to get a job.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for your replies. It seems as though it should be treated differently on a case-by-case basis. The job itself is super easy... I deal with contracts for our legal department. I'd really like to work here later. I think that would show them that I am putting in the effort to maintain my relationship with the company.

I haven't thought of that part-time option but that does sound like a good idea. Thanks for your thoughts!

I think maybe I can try to see what the workload is like, and try it out for the first few weeks.

sheD

Postby sheD » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 pm

If you have a guaranteed job after graduation, you might not be as concerned about your grades as most of your classmates will be, but you should keep in mind that you will be competing with what is essentially one hand tied behind your back, given the amount of time you will be dedicating elsewhere. You will also be giving up opportunities to be involved on campus in extracurricular activities.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Also bear in mind that you might actually be limiting your career options in the long run by aiming to head to this company straight out of law school. Just some advice I got recently that I thought was valuable.

Arbinshire

Postby Arbinshire » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 am

Absolutely, do not work during 1L. It is theoretically possible to work and be successful, but remember you will be graded against people who do not work. Point to consider, while you're up at 11:30 briefing cases, know that their are others who aren't working who are probably already asleep getting rested for tomorrow's class.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 pm

How about working for just the first three weeks of second semester of 1L? My employer would like to have me work on a project that would take 15-20 hours a week starting jan 1st, but would be wrapped up after the third week of the semester. It would be a significant chunk of change, and I enjoy the work. The hours would be in the evenings, four days a week, about 4-5 hours a day.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 pm

If you can get a job offer in writing that you want to accept then by all means do what you need to do to keep the company happy and get through law school. If it was just a casual mention then you should prepare as though that is just one option and your law school grades are more important.

I would probably talk to them about not working at all 1L year, and then picking it up part time for 2L and 3L and maybe summers if you can get hands on legal work.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 am

Arbinshire wrote:Absolutely, do not work during 1L. It is theoretically possible to work and be successful, but remember you will be graded against people who do not work. Point to consider, while you're up at 11:30 briefing cases, know that their are others who aren't working who are probably already asleep getting rested for tomorrow's class drunk.

More accurate.

jarak01

Postby jarak01 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:04 am

OP-- I worked remotely 20/hours a week 1L year and did well at a T30. If you're good at managing your time, you'll be fine. Just set up an expectation that you'll be unavailable from thanksgiving until finals are over, and make up for it over winter break. Do the same thing in the spring for the ~3 weeks before finals. Yes, you might not be able to get drunk as much, but the paycheck is wonderful and the goodwill of your employer is even better.

Arbinshire

Postby Arbinshire » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:44 am

jarak01 wrote:the paycheck is wonderful

At the expense of potentially lower grades.

jarak01 wrote:and the goodwill of your employer is even better.

Bullshit. Unless you've got a rarity of an employer, they're not going to take kindly to you being out for an extended period of time. I worked 20 hours my 1L year and it was the most difficult period, ever. School was awesome, but having to balance school and work needs to an inflexible micromanaging boss made my life hell. If you don't have to work, don't.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”