Is the ULTRA COMPETITIVE ls environment largely a myth

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ThreeRivers

Is the ULTRA COMPETITIVE ls environment largely a myth

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I've been on this forum for a little bit now / have lurked even longer... and one observation I have noticed

In all of the "1L / 2L / 3L's asking questions" types of threads and other varieties in which students talk about their law school, students generally seem to discuss rather candidly some of the negatives of their school. In almost every single one though they mention that its "not as cut-throat as other law schools" / "students are generally helpful" / "with a few exceptions, no real gunners," etc..

With that seeming to be the overwhelming response from every school... does the "TEAR THE PAGE OUT OF BOOKS" type of environment really exist anymore? (I know there will always be exceptions, but I'm starting to wonder if those types of situations are just exceptions.

I'm off work today with nothing to do / bored lol

clone22

Re: Is the ULTRA COMPETITIVE ls environment largely a myth

Postby clone22 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm

It probably varies school to school. UC Hastings is notorious for being competitive. But no one really tears pages out of books nowadays, because all the research is online. Because the environments are small, social pressures probably keep the ultra competitive/neurotic behavior to a minimum, although the mandatory curve does probably drive students to be more selfish than they otherwise would be.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:34 am

clone22 wrote:It probably varies school to school. UC Hastings is notorious for being competitive.

Every 0L says this yet no one I know who went to UCH, myself included, found this true at all. I don't know where that reputation comes from.

The only ultra-competitive people I ever met were a few douche bags who are overly competitive at everything. It wasn't law school-specific.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 am

Interesting. I've "heard" the exact opposite from every single school at their ASD. "Everyone here is really friendly." "My classmates emailed me all of their notes if I missed class; I didn't even have to ask!" "This isn't a 'tear the pages out of the book' type of environment." Etc.

I know someone who went to a "friendly" T30 school, but both her class and her section ended up stacked with pretentious people who most likely had chips on their shoulders about not going to a T14 (she took the money). Pretty much all of her friends were 2L's and 3L's who were pretty amazed at how contentious her class was. I'd bet a lot of the rumored competitive nature of law school (beyond what you'd expect from a typical situation pitting students against each other on a curved grading scale) ebbs and flows depending on the make-up of each incoming class. Interestingly enough, the class after my friend went back to the old way of things so her class seems to be the odd class out.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 am

Each person will perceive the environment differently based on their specific experiences, preferences, etc. Plus, I'm sure it varies from school to school. I don't think anyone can give you a good answer to this question.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Everyone can simultaneously be very friendly and insanely competitive. HTH

chitown2626

Postby chitown2626 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Everyone can simultaneously be very friendly and insanely competitive. HTH

titcr

xwing_redleader

Postby xwing_redleader » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:28 pm

I just wanted to pop in here to say that I did meet an attorney who went to Hastings, who confirmed (with regret and resentment) the unnecessarily competitive environment there. She noted that on more than one occasion, her friends' notes were stolen when they left their seat for whatever in the library.

It's not ripping up books, but nonetheless pretty f'ed up.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 am

xwing_redleader wrote:I just wanted to pop in here to say that I did meet an attorney who went to Hastings, who confirmed (with regret and resentment) the unnecessarily competitive environment there. She noted that on more than one occasion, her friends' notes were stolen when they left their seat for whatever in the library.

It's not ripping up books, but nonetheless pretty f'ed up.

Man, I really just don't know why anyone would pay sticker to go to Hastings absent some insanely unique situation, like having a family member who is definitely going to hook him/her up with a job or something.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 am

I think it's mostly a myth. Probably a holdover from the high-attrition days. Maybe it's still bad at the schools that do have high attrition (T4s), but that wasn't my perception from my visit to Cooley. Those kids tend to be ignorant of the job market, and thus blissful. FWIW, at ND, people would think you were bizarre if you started doing weird gunner shit.

I would like to know about Baylor, which I've always heard singled out as an egregiously competitive place.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:14 am

chitown2626 wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Everyone can simultaneously be very friendly and insanely competitive. HTH

titcr

Agree with this.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:24 am

keg411 wrote:
chitown2626 wrote:

titcr

Agree with this.

Right. Forced, strict curves are inherently "insanely competitive" for anyone who hasn't been graded that way before. Add the fact that classes are largely evenly matched against each other and the competition can be fierce without anyone being a dickbag.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 am

flcath wrote:I would like to know about Baylor, which I've always heard singled out as an egregiously competitive place.

I can't imagine what it's like now with that info-release scandal they had a few months ago.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”