Best Laptops for the Price Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Best brand

Apple
36%
Asus
16%
Dell
4%
HP
6%
Lenovo
30%
Toshiba
8%

Total votes: 50

laxbrah420

Gold

Re: Best Laptops for the Price

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Basically, foxconn does all computers and it's just a matter of luck if what you get will last. Pick one with a screen size, weight, keyboard, and touchpad you like

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Basically, foxconn does all computers and it's just a matter of luck if what you get will last. Pick one with a screen size, weight, keyboard, and touchpad you like
I can't believe people actually use touchpads. I pack a mouse everywhere I take a laptop.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Basically, foxconn does all computers and it's just a matter of luck if what you get will last. Pick one with a screen size, weight, keyboard, and touchpad you like
I can't believe people actually use touchpads. I pack a mouse everywhere I take a laptop.
Agreed, except for my current laptop, HP DVX. Pretty nice trackpad

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

chem wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Agreed, except for my current laptop, HP DVX. Pretty nice trackpad
I have an HP DV-something...I hate the trackpad. The ONLY time I use it is when my mouse battery dies and I don't have any AAA batteries. And then I damn well get more batteries the next time I leave the house. I have no idea if it's a decent trackpad or not; I just know I can't function with it.

I do love the fact that I can turn it off, because the heel of my left hand rests right on it when I type, and makes the cursor jump around.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I have no idea if it's a decent trackpad or not; I just know I can't function with it.
I carry spare AAA's in my bag exactly for that reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:21 pm

I was all set to mock people for carrying around a mouse when they have a trackpad, and then I remembered there is a guy at my school who carries around a real monitor for use with his laptop. Suddenly, a mouse didn't seem so geeky.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Also, in response to something someone said early in the thread about the wrong time to buy laptops...

This is the right time to buy a laptop unless you absolutely need to be on the bleeding edge of technology. Seriously, between 33% off at HP, the june savings through barnes and noble at Lenovo (I think around 20% off their already discounted online price) and the free xbox from microsoft, if you see the tech you want now, then you should buy

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Is there really a problem with buying Dells? Just don't be an idiot with your PC and they will last a long-ass time. They also have great customer service. I basically broke my own computer from dropping it three times and they fixed it for me everytime for free. Warranties are a nice thing, and big companies generally have sweet warranties. Dell generally has some sweet online coupons going on, I'd search for that. Generally like $750 off a computer over $2000, $500 off a computer over blah blah, etc. I have always bought with a sweet deal and have managed to avoid all viruses / crashes / etc, which shouldn't even be as big of a deal anymore due to Dropbox / Google Drive / Cloud systems. I had a hard drive crash once, I just slipped it out and slipped another in. Everything is cheap as fuark these days.

Given the deals and the collab with Alienware, I haven't really seen a need to go outside of Dell. Building your own is TCR for a desktop, I have done that. Haven't built a laptop from scratch, that would seem considerably more difficult for the layperson.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
chimp wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Really, just buying the cheapest Asus, Toshiba or Sony that you can find that has an intel core i3/i5 is probably a credited option.
In my experience, Sony Viaos are shit.
Totally disagree. My first Vaio (Sony SZ from 2006) was awesome. Lasted me almost 5 years with no problems. Now I have a Vaio S and it's great for the price. No problems yet.
Mine was shit (crashed after about a year and a half) and was overpriced.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Kronk wrote:Is there really a problem with buying Dells? Just don't be an idiot with your PC and they will last a long-ass time. They also have great customer service. I basically broke my own computer from dropping it three times and they fixed it for me everytime for free. Warranties are a nice thing, and big companies generally have sweet warranties. Dell generally has some sweet online coupons going on, I'd search for that. Generally like $750 off a computer over $2000, $500 off a computer over blah blah, etc. I have always bought with a sweet deal and have managed to avoid all viruses / crashes / etc, which shouldn't even be as big of a deal anymore due to Dropbox / Google Drive / Cloud systems. I had a hard drive crash once, I just slipped it out and slipped another in. Everything is cheap as fuark these days.

Given the deals and the collab with Alienware, I haven't really seen a need to go outside of Dell. Building your own is TCR for a desktop, I have done that. Haven't built a laptop from scratch, that would seem considerably more difficult for the layperson.
Sorry, couldn't disagree more. I used my Dell for word processing, internet, and netflix. When it died a week before finals, Dell sent three different technicians to repair it to no avail. It took them a month to finally replace my computer. It was a -horrible- experience, and I strongly advise against purchasing a Dell for law school.

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:05 am

What's the best screen size? I'm currently deliberating b/n a 13 and a 15?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am

Zionman wrote:What's the best screen size? I'm currently deliberating b/n a 13 and a 15?
Personal preference.

I'll be downsizing from a 17", so I'm going with a 15.6" to lessen the shock. I'm ok with carrying an extra pound or whatever.

Zionman

New

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Zionman wrote:What's the best screen size? I'm currently deliberating b/n a 13 and a 15?
Personal preference.

I'll be downsizing from a 17", so I'm going with a 15.6" to lessen the shock. I'm ok with carrying an extra pound or whatever.
How was ur experience w/ a 17? Orig. wanted to buy big screen but I dont think itd be practical...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 am

Just posting from my HP computer I got when I graduated HS in 07' 8).

Works like its brand new still... although I really don't use it for much (Facebook, a couple sport-sites, a google addiction, e-mail, school). Not into gaming or anything so I guess that might help my level of satisfaction.

Hopefully I have the same luck when I purchase one before ls..

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am

Zionman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Personal preference.

How was ur experience w/ a 17? Orig. wanted to buy big screen but I dont think itd be practical...
It weighs a ton and doesn't fit in most laptop bags. I like it at home as a desktop replacement (and I'll keep it as my law school emergency backup), but would never carry it with me on a regular basis.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am

I'm getting an ultrabook and then desktop monitors ill hook up at home. I think its really convenient to have a light/long-lasting laptop in a school setting

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm not an Apple guy. For non-Apple, you just can't beat Lenovo. They're sturdy, dependable, and you get a surprising amount of power and features for your $$$. I've had Dell/HP in the past. I currently have the Lenovo X220 and love it. I think it was around a grand.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Whereas I am thoroughly unimpressed with my Lenovo and wish I had purchased an Asus.

However, the new pricing on the MacBook Air is mighty tempting.

daydreamer

Bronze

Post by daydreamer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm

chem wrote:You can get 33% off an hp right now using this coupon, NBG5247. Just another option
This is for newegg, right? Just tried it and it didn't work, maybe it's expired?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 pm

daydreamer wrote:
chem wrote:You can get 33% off an hp right now using this coupon, NBG5247. Just another option
This is for newegg, right? Just tried it and it didn't work, maybe it's expired?
HP site, expires tomorrow

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Incubateus wrote:HP and Dell are definitely out. Historically, these brands have had a high number of hardware failures. Additionally, their customer service situation is difficult to deal with. gethuman helps, but you shouldn't have to deal with everything in the first place. Lenovo is better than Toshiba, but neither is as well built as a fujitsu (this is the one I recommend the most if you buy windows). Asus doesn't do too bad a job (certainly better than acer) and I haven't seen a Gateway in years for good reason. But honestly, if you are going to get a windows computer, you should really just build one yourself. If you can't do that, then you should probably lean towards a Mac. People will say that's extreme, but the simple truth is this: many windows computers are not built specifically to run windows software. This matters because certain technical interactions wear down parts, making them more prone to failure. Macs rarely, if ever, have this problem because their OS is built for their hardware and vice-versa. They may look better spec-wise than a mac, and they may be cheaper, but the consistency, quality, and often times customer service is not there. That being said, the WWDC is this coming week and the landscape may change with Tim Cook as CEO instead of Steve Jobs, but I doubt it will change all that significantly. They did have their first quality downgrade with Siri being sent out in beta, but that is a very exceptional case.

I'm assuming that if you are asking this question, you aren't even considering Linux. I love linux, but at this point in your life you should probably just stay away from it (unless you begin learning a lot more about computers and even coding).

My Recommendation for most people: BUY A MAC. I know it feels like a cult, but you just need to get over that and go for it. For the peace of mind it provides it is far and away the best deal the average person can get on a computer. The integration with other Apple products also does not hurt. In law school you should really be looking for a computer that 1. Never breaks 2. Runs a generally intuitive OS, and 3. Has a strong battery life. I grew up building computers with my dad. I've had pretty much every brand at one point or another. NO ONE has been able to take my abuse like Apple. It is simply a quality product.

Bearing in mind the WWDC is this week, alongside several other technology jumps this summer, sites like engadget, gizmodo, etc. have already called this the worst time in the history of computers to buy a laptop: http://gizmodo.com/5916005/theres-never ... y-a-laptop . I personally, am waiting a week to see what Apple does before I decide to move forward. The rest of the field is rather predictable, if not open already, but Apple could be coming out with some cool stuff; retina display (slim chance though), ssds for the pros, slimmer bodies, better battery due to the ssd, possible siri integration, mountain lion osx, etc.

I will probably end up buying one of the new pros given that I'm not overly surprised with the WWDC news. They are high quality instruments and are perfect for my needs across the board.

now to answer your questions regarding tiers, I would do this:

500: I would not expect anything from a laptop at this price. It is probably going to crap out at some point. I would probably just buy a desktop and take notes on paper. If not that, I'm personally curious about the samsung chromebooks. I was able to try out the beta models a while back when google was giving them out and loved it for certain things. I can't remember if samsung made it at the time, but the machine was simple and nice. Excellent for old people, the inept, and people who have singular functions for their machine.
1000: Macbook Air
1500: Macbook Pro
2000: Souped up Macbook Pro
i lol'd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:35 pm

daydreamer wrote:
HP chat support told me they're having trouble with online coupons, and to call sales to make your order.

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but as an incoming 1L, I'd like to know how many of you carry your laptops to school every day. I've always prefered to handwrite my notes in undergrad, but maybe it's too difficult to keep up with in law school? I can certainly understand having it with you for doing work outside of class at school though.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 pm

ASUS Zenbook and don't look back

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”