w&m 2L advising u to rethink yr life plan

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
footsy

w&m 2L advising u to rethink yr life plan

Postby footsy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Ask away

romothesavior

Re: w&m 2L advising u to rethink yr life plan

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Did you know this going in to W&M? How much debt?

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:26 pm

I second romos question and also ask...

What were your specific legal plans in attending? In other words, what did you, as a 0L, see yourself getting as a job out of W&M?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 pm

What was your class rank after 1l?

footsy

Postby footsy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Sup, top 10% at w&m...my eyes were pretty wide open I thought, at least abt what had to be done but I underestimated the shittiness/blandness of other 1Ls and the predatory nature of the whole institution of law school. Honestly only went to ls cause I wantd to write a novel and needed new material. Got it but at what cost? Now I feel compelled to gun for big law, etc., etc. But I know ols are going to read this and think , but I always wanted to be a lawyer not a novelist. Believe me it really is 90% writing and reading alone...the skills I learned as an ug creative writing major for self sufficiency and focus have served me better than I'd guess an econ or whatev degree

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:14 pm

footsy wrote:Sup, top 10% at w&m...my eyes were pretty wide open I thought, at least abt what had to be done but I underestimated the shittiness/blandness of other 1Ls and the predatory nature of the whole institution of law school. Honestly only went to ls cause I wantd to write a novel and needed new material. Got it but at what cost? Now I feel compelled to gun for big law, etc., etc. But I know ols are going to read this and think , but I always wanted to be a lawyer not a novelist. Believe me it really is 90% writing and reading alone...the skills I learned as an ug creative writing major for self sufficiency and focus have served me better than I'd guess an econ or whatev degree

odds are high that you're a terrible writer if you need to go to law school for material.

footsy

Postby footsy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Debt is relatively low, haha 40k I guess. Different financial situation than most

footsy

Postby footsy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Honestly the material u get out of law school is frankly amazing...have u ever read gaddis frolic of his own? Law is truly a pillar of society and if u study it it will show u great truths...plus great characters...the problem is if you do well u will get tempted tol try and make $, if u do poorly u will be frustrated and not give a shit...but most modern fiction is abt being in an mfa program and it sucks

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:54 pm

footsy wrote:Honestly the material u get out of law school is frankly amazing...have u ever read gaddis frolic of his own? Law is truly a pillar of society and if u study it it will show u great truths...plus great characters...the problem is if you do well u will get tempted tol try and make $, if u do poorly u will be frustrated and not give a shit...but most modern fiction is abt being in an mfa program and it sucks

Flame? Or just very strange.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 pm

footsy wrote:Honestly the material u get out of law school is frankly amazing...have u ever read gaddis frolic of his own? Law is truly a pillar of society and if u study it it will show u great truths...plus great characters...the problem is if you do well u will get tempted tol try and make $, if u do poorly u will be frustrated and not give a shit...but most modern fiction is abt being in an mfa program and it sucks

Sure, law school will be great material. So are a lot of things that don't cost 40k. Hell, go work for a few years; I've gotten a world of material out of teaching. Besides, all the material in the world won't help you if you can't figure out the difference between a period and an ellipsis.

On another note, where on earth are you getting your books if you think most modern fiction is about being in an MFA program? self-publishers?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

Sure, law school will be great material. So are a lot of things that don't cost 40k. Hell, go work for a few years; I've gotten a world of material out of teaching. Besides, all the material in the world won't help you if you can't figure out the difference between a period and an ellipsis.

On another note, where on earth are you getting your books if you think most modern fiction is about being in an MFA program? self-publishers?

I thought most modern fiction was about regressive gender relations.

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:28 am

hate to hate but cmon, i fucking SUCCEEDED y'all..by TLS terms...you cant say im a bitter fucking bottom of the class jd undergrounder or whatever, i did what all the 0ls dreamt: 10%/suck my dick/whatever. you can give me shit about punctuation and whatever trivial shit, or reading the believer (which i fucking hate, hate fucking dave eggers) or whatever bullshit...the point is, you end top of the class, u still feel like a useless asshole. honestly lawyers are the ghosts at the fest, met a bunch of olden ones and they are all "goofy" and smart and "eccenctic" (or spellcheck me on that u stupid twat) within a very narrow little boundary of whats ok. the law is really really great source material, but u mess around with it, and it touches u. then again probs 90% of the ppl. who enroll in fucking law school have no spark of creativity at all, so they cant tell the goddamn difference.

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:31 am

haha franklyscarlet u honestly are the fucking worst, jut the epitome of what im talking about. how the fuck do u even like wake up in the morning knowing ur day is just going to be monstrous PMS on repeat

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:41 am

footsy wrote: the law is really really great source material, but u mess around with it, and it touches u.

Are you writing these posts on a shoe?

Are you high and/or drunk?

Are you 13?

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:46 am

get a clue asshole, tuning out from whats meaningful in the universe is going to get u reincarneted for fucking ever as a piece of shit agency lawyer...

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:49 am

if theres 1 thing i have to say, u dont have to be like these clueless, naive, culturless POS barbarians to do well, but if do do well u opening a pandoras box all its own. also its always funny when little precious type A'rs on here talk about getting high. yah right virgin

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:52 am

or maybe u never did well in law school, say u have no frame of reference...point is, there are much, much more productive things u can do with ur life. both for u and for the world. than go to fucking WILLIAm AND MARY SCHOOL OF LAW (THE FIRST LAW SCHoOL IN the NATION YALL!!!)

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 am

lol funny to think this will have counterindicative effect...just more gung ho to become a CiTIZEN LAWYER!! dial a clue

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:28 am

oh btw frankly how the fuck do u get into in 2 northwestern, gulc, etc., with a 168 lsat? im guessing, like, high ug gpa? just wait for the bloodbath sweetheart. GL! Not!

footsy

Postby footsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:41 am

honestly, i got a 168 taking the test cold. you are probably going to regret giving up your damn teaching job which taught u so much abt life, love, and the dignity of human frailty/exceptionalism. honestly 1L fall is going to bloody up your fucking patronizing attiude... to everyone else. take fucking heed. law school is a fucking joke perpertrated by old bastards in cahoot with federal loan agencies... W&M may not be the worst of the worst but the level of everyday SUCK fucks with your soul. also the entire system of law training will be replaced within 25 years, when firms finally merge with accountants to provide full service, whatever, blah blah, just do something else...please

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:56 am

Are you having some sort of mental breakdown?

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 am

what the fuck are you talking about?
one of the derpiest one-man circle jerks in history

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:40 am

I don't know if OP was drunk or just trolling. Either way, I'm advising him to rethink hs poasting plan.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”