IPSecure?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zinc

IPSecure?

Postby zinc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Hello,

I am a 0L getting ready to attend a T1 school this fall. I have a chemistry PhD, and want to pursue IP law (patent prosecution). Several attorneys have told me that there are lot more PhDs and engineers in law school now compared to 15-20 years ago. So, while it is a strong soft skill for job, it is not a rare skill.

Current students, could you please tell me how many science PhD's are in your class? Do you know anyone with a science Phd who had difficulty finding a patent prosecution job? Does IPSecure even exist anymore, outside the top14 schools?

While I am very interested in being a IP attorney, I am anxious about attending law school after reading some of the posts here.

jim-green

Re: IPSecure?

Postby jim-green » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:31 pm

What does IPSecure mean? I have been hearing this term a lot on TLS

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 pm

From my personal experience: I know several PhDs at T14s and they all have excellent jobs with market (160k) salaries. None of them, however, went into patent prosecution.

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:05 am

I can only think of one chemistry PhD in my section of ~80 students; there are a few people with other technical backgrounds as well. I'd say that's typical. The chemistry PhD was one of the relatively few 1Ls to get a summer associate position.

There will probably be other science PhDs at your school but you will still have a far better shot at a job than the average T1 law student.

jim-green wrote:What does IPSecure mean? I have been hearing this term a lot on TLS

It refers to the assertion that someone with a technical background looking for a job in patent law has secure employment prospects and doesn't need to worry about getting a job.

zinc

Postby zinc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 pm

yuzu wrote:I can only think of one chemistry PhD in my section of ~80 students; there are a few people with other technical backgrounds as well. I'd say that's typical. The chemistry PhD was one of the relatively few 1Ls to get a summer associate position.

There will probably be other science PhDs at your school but you will still have a far better shot at a job than the average T1 law student.

jim-green wrote:What does IPSecure mean? I have been hearing this term a lot on TLS

It refers to the assertion that someone with a technical background looking for a job in patent law has secure employment prospects and doesn't need to worry about getting a job.

Thanks Yuzu and Julio. Your answers relieved a lot of my anxiety.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 am

yuzu wrote:It refers to the assertion that someone with a technical background looking for a job in patent law has secure employment prospects and doesn't need to worry about getting a job.

A faulty assertion, to be sure. There are many, many unemployed attorneys & law grads with technical degrees who cannot find jobs in patent law. Probably lower than the average figure for the rest of the legal field, but if you're banking on some imaginary hope that you'll have a job when you graduate, think again.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 am

I'm in the IP cert program at Pitt (not t14, I know, I know) and the only chemists and chem-e's I've met have bachelor's degrees. I think it's most common to see PhDs in the bio-sciences, and even then I think it's still fairly rare. For instance, my biotech law professor has his PhD in immunology. We had maybe 10-15 people in my claims drafting class, and I don't think any of them had a PhD. I've also gotten only positive feedback about the IP market in comparison to the general practice market, and that's even in a market like Pittsburgh,

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”