Looking for some Insight on Transferring Law Schools.Thanks!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
912acg

Looking for some Insight on Transferring Law Schools.Thanks!

Postby 912acg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I put my deposit down for Hastings and I was wondering what were the possibilities of transferring to a higher ranked CA school like 'SC or UCLA. I read a few posts and understand the grades required; however, my question is more about the chances of actually being able to transfer successfully rather than just being eligible.

*I'm currently at a 164/3.6 and I'm retaking the LSAT next week

northwood

Re: Looking for some Insight on Transferring Law Schools.Thanks!

Postby northwood » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:50 pm

DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL WITH THE INTENTION OF TRANSFERRING UP... The easist way to get into a better school of your choice is to retake the LSAT, which you are. Take the test- and see how you do. HOw did you do on the test compared to your practice tests? How long did you prepare? If you know there is room for an imporvement,and/ or you are expecting an improvement in your score- then take the test and inform the school that you are not going to matriculate. Do this as professionally as possible, so that you can leave the door open, shoudl you decide to re apply. ( Simply tell them that you want to take another cycle to make sure that you are totally committed to law school or something similar). If you score well enough, reapply to your target schools, and safety schools the first day possible ( you can use the same personal statement, L.O.R's from last cycle- so you got that taken care of already) work and save as much money as possible.

Either way, it seems as though you are not fully comitted to this school, so I would say dont matriculate there. But since you allready deposited, you dont have to worry about it just yet( dont think about it until after the LSAT). You won't get the deposit money back, but its only a tiny drop inthe bucket of the cost of going to law school.

912acg

Postby 912acg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 pm

I would not be going to Hastings SOLELY to transfer up. The school gave me enough $$ to be happy but I would attempt a transfer even if I was already in a t14. My intention is to go to the best school possible.

Question(s):

1.) What are chances of transferring out to the t14 (or USC) from Hastings?
2.) What kind of cutoff am I looking at and what do I need to be reasonably competitive.
3.) How many people do schools actually take from a feeder like Hastings.

*also to answer one of the questions, I scored ~10 points lower on the LSAT than I did on the avg Ptest

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Read the sticky in the transfer forum.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”