University of Tennessee Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rt1987

New

Re: University of Tennessee

Post by rt1987 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:43 am

Can't speak for everyone, but here are some general thoughts on UT Law:

It is not a national school, but it doesn't pretend to be. If you come here from Denver or Texas or somewhere west of the Mississippi River and plan on going back after graduation with a six figure salary, you're an idiot for a lot of reasons. Tennessee is a regional school, placing 70+% of its graduates in TN. Of the others, a few will go to Atlanta or Birmingham or other southern places. But don't expect a degree from UT to get you in with firms of any size in the midwest, west coast, or the northeast.
Comoncents wrote:I have spoken with a lot of student (at UTK) before making my choice and everyone has a job or is taking the summer off. Also, there are a few that do not seek jobs because they plan on taking time off and furthering their education; but of those truly looking, the alumni base is strong enough to help in job seeking. I even know a person in the bottom, statistically, of their class who found a job with a little effort.
I don't know about this specifically but don't take anecdotal evidence to mean anything more than it is: one case or one person.
Comoncents wrote:If two people come to interview for a position, one graduating from UTK and the other from Vandy, the better candidate will have a chance. Can a person from UTK be better equipped for a job than someone from Vandy? Sure! I personally feel that my age, experience in the private sector, military experience, and family give me an advantage over anyone with the same skills and less life experience- regardless of which school they attend in Tennessee. Maybe I am wrong- it would not be the first time- but my hope is that I will find a job in Knoxville upon graduation.
Well the good news for you is that Vanderbilt students don't usually look/get hired in Knoxville. The bad news for you is that you're probably going to get a harsh reality check when you have your first interview (assuming you get one).

Bottom line: UT is a fine value if you're in-state and not expecting a six figure salary coming out. If both of these apply to you, you'll be fine. If you have higher expectations or are paying sticker for out-of-state, you should reconsider.

Comoncents

Bronze

Re: University of Tennessee

Post by Comoncents » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 am

rt1987 wrote:Can't speak for everyone, but here are some general thoughts on UT Law:

It is not a national school, but it doesn't pretend to be. If you come here from Denver or Texas or somewhere west of the Mississippi River and plan on going back after graduation with a six figure salary, you're an idiot for a lot of reasons. Tennessee is a regional school, placing 70+% of its graduates in TN. Of the others, a few will go to Atlanta or Birmingham or other southern places. But don't expect a degree from UT to get you in with firms of any size in the midwest, west coast, or the northeast.
Comoncents wrote:I have spoken with a lot of student (at UTK) before making my choice and everyone has a job or is taking the summer off. Also, there are a few that do not seek jobs because they plan on taking time off and furthering their education; but of those truly looking, the alumni base is strong enough to help in job seeking. I even know a person in the bottom, statistically, of their class who found a job with a little effort.
I don't know about this specifically but don't take anecdotal evidence to mean anything more than it is: one case or one person
No, I am not. Since my last post I have gone back and talked with more students. Some are struggling to find a job after 1st semester grades took a turn. I have also called a few friends that attended other "top ten schools" and they too are struggling after bad first semester grades. I understand what you're saying.
Comoncents wrote:If two people come to interview for a position, one graduating from UTK and the other from Vandy, the better candidate will have a chance. Can a person from UTK be better equipped for a job than someone from Vandy? Sure! I personally feel that my age, experience in the private sector, military experience, and family give me an advantage over anyone with the same skills and less life experience- regardless of which school they attend in Tennessee. Maybe I am wrong- it would not be the first time- but my hope is that I will find a job in Knoxville upon graduation.
rt1987 wrote:Well the good news for you is that Vanderbilt students don't usually look/get hired in Knoxville. The bad news for you is that you're probably going to get a harsh reality check when you have your first interview (assuming you get one).

Bottom line: UT is a fine value if you're in-state and not expecting a six figure salary coming out. If both of these apply to you, you'll be fine. If you have higher expectations or are paying sticker for out-of-state, you should reconsider.
I am getting in-state and do not, by any means, expect a six figure salary coming out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”