University of Tennessee Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anitadonielle

New

University of Tennessee

Post by anitadonielle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I am thinking of attending UT for law school. Could anyone tell me about the law school's atmosphere?

jms1987

Bronze

Re: University of Tennessee

Post by jms1987 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Bump...I'd also like to know more about UTK's law school.

anitadonielle

New

Post by anitadonielle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:02 pm

I guess nobody wants to answer us lol

anitadonielle

New

Post by anitadonielle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:06 pm

When do you plan to go there?

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 am

Only go with a scholarship. Bad investment otherwise, the TN market is dominated by Vandy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

I'm going there this Fall. I've visited a few times and I absolutely love it. The staff is amazing and extremely helpful with anything. Some have even given their personal cell phone numbers to help with anything outside of office hours. The students that I have met are laid back. Its obvious that they are intelligent, but they don't seem like they would stab me in the back to get ahead. They say that its not too competitive and that its easy to make friends. Also the students who I've talked to about jobs already have jobs lined up and have mentioned friends that will have jobs when they graduate as well. Most of them seemed to be going out of state though, so I don't know what the job market is like for graduates inside of Tennessee.

The school is also very transparent about employment records. Instead of skating around the issue like other schools, they'll tell you that employment has gone down in the past few years, but will also tell you about what they are doing to improve the school and employment opportunities.

And Knoxville is beautiful.

Someone mentioned losing jobs to Vandy grads, but every school that has a higher-ranking school in the state could have the same issue. UTK is a very well-known school and has alums all over the place, so I wouldn't worry about being at a disadvantage for not going to Vandy. Also, depending on what kind of law you want to practice, you will probably have less competition. I want to practice family law, and its likely that students who are willing to pay Ivy league tuition would want to work in a better paying field. Also there are only two law schools in Tennessee....(well I only know of two....if their are more they don't matter lol) so that helps too.

I have no doubt that UTK is the best choice for me, but visit as many of the schools you are interested in that you can so you can get a feel of them all for your self.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:39 pm

I agree with cutecarmel for the most part. I was strongly thinking about going to UTK last year b/c they gave me a full ride but decided not to. UTK is a pretty nice place to go to law school and the people are great but I did not want to be stuck in TN or the surrounding region.

sgoodman

New

Post by sgoodman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Last edited by sgoodman on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 pm

I am going 2012, and "cutecarmel" is spot on with her assessment of UTK Law. I love UTK Law and Knoxville. (I like it so much that I want to practice in Knoxville) Most Vandy Law students I know are from out of state and want to go back to their homes to practice. Every UTK Law student I have spoken with has a job lined up, whether it is in Nashville or Atlanta. Most of what I am hearing from lawyers and recently employed law students has to do less with the school and more about who you are as a person. I know some grads from 3-tier schools getting top jobs in great cities. I know some T-14 grads struggling to find anything in terms of employment. Choosing a law school entails a litany of reasons needed too ultimately make a decision, but at the end of the day, you need to go and see for yourself. I was accepted to many schools (some extremely higher than UTK), but I visited every place and found UTK to be my prime choice. It takes courage to look at a highly ranked school and withdraw for a lower ranked one, but I did not lose anything by dropping in what US News considers important for seemingly arbitrary rankings. I do not claim to be a grand prognosticator, but everything points me to UTK, and your decision should also give you an assurance of equal standing. Good Luck and... Go Vols!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anitadonielle

New

Post by anitadonielle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

I went to visit the last week in June and I really liked the city and school. Everybody seemed friendly and helpful. I am definitely going to keep them at the top of my list

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 pm

anitadonielle wrote:I went to visit the last week in June and I really liked the city and school. Everybody seemed friendly and helpful. I am definitely going to keep them at the top of my list
Awesome! Keep checking their employment stats. You will not find a more transparent Law School in the nation. Dr. Britton will let you know everything you need to know. Good Luck!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Our Schedule is out!!!!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:39 pm

lol. so I'm not the only one who checked to see if it was ready before Aug 1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 pm

cutecarmel wrote:lol. so I'm not the only one who checked to see if it was ready before Aug 1.
Nope, I have the two books we need and reading through the first on how to prepare a brief. I am working on the writing sample next week after vacation but the article we have to write on is awesome!!! I have the schedule, Fin Aid, and the check lists done! Can't wait. I am sure to see you in a couple of weeks!!!

Daniel

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Please keep this thread updated once classes start if you can, I'd appreciate it a lot! :)

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 pm

jms1987 wrote:Please keep this thread updated once classes start if you can, I'd appreciate it a lot! :)
You can always PM me about any questions and I'll try to get back to you.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am

cutecarmel wrote:
jms1987 wrote:Please keep this thread updated once classes start if you can, I'd appreciate it a lot! :)
You can always PM me about any questions and I'll try to get back to you.
Yeah, I'll second that sentiment- you can contact me with any questions about UTK Law!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Comoncents wrote:Most Vandy Law students I know are from out of state and want to go back to their homes to practice.
I'd be careful with this. According to LST, 20% of Vandy 2011 grads got jobs in TN, (LinkRemoved) and historically, most of those have been in Nashville. So while most Vandy students leave, 20% of the 2011 class who obtained jobs was probably 30-odd students, and there aren't that many jobs in Nashville to begin with.
Every UTK Law student I have spoken with has a job lined up, whether it is in Nashville or Atlanta.
According to these LST statistics, (LinkRemoved) you're not speaking to the right people.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Comoncents wrote:Most Vandy Law students I know are from out of state and want to go back to their homes to practice.
rad lulz wrote:I'd be careful with this. According to LST, 20% of Vandy 2011 grads got jobs in TN, (LinkRemoved) and historically, most of those have been in Nashville. So while most Vandy students leave, 20% of the 2011 class who obtained jobs was probably 30-odd students, and there aren't that many jobs in Nashville to begin with.

Yeah, it does seem that more students are staying in Tennessee but not most. I said most that I know, which is a smaller sample size than the whole class; yet, my sources also confirm that many of their peers go to their home states to work. I would like to stay in Knoxville though. It is the place I would like to practice- one reason why I chose UTK over other higher ranked schools.
rad lulz wrote:
Comoncents wrote:Every UTK Law student I have spoken with has a job lined up, whether it is in Nashville or Atlanta.
According to these LST statistics, (LinkRemoved) you're not speaking to the right people.
I have spoken with a lot of student (at UTK) before making my choice and everyone has a job or is taking the summer off. Also, there are a few that do not seek jobs because they plan on taking time off and furthering their education; but of those truly looking, the alumni base is strong enough to help in job seeking. I even know a person in the bottom, statistically, of their class who found a job with a little effort.

Thanks for the reply and the concern. We are all here together and everyone giving their opinion is great, even if it is hard news to take. I find that the true employment onus is on the person interviewing. If two people come to interview for a position, one graduating from UTK and the other from Vandy, the better candidate will have a chance. Can a person from UTK be better equipped for a job than someone from Vandy? Sure! I personally feel that my age, experience in the private sector, military experience, and family give me an advantage over anyone with the same skills and less life experience- regardless of which school they attend in Tennessee. Maybe I am wrong- it would not be the first time- but my hope is that I will find a job in Knoxville upon graduation. Dreams have to be dreamt if anyone ever plans to achieve them.
Thanks!

Daniel

obamacare123

New

Post by obamacare123 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Honestly, I deeply REGRET coming to UT law. The school does not have a good reputation at the national level. Most 3L graduates still do not have their legal jobs. Also, The Record's Office staffs (including Dean Morgan) are very rude and arrogant. They are not professional at all. You will know what I said is truth when you study at the UT law.
Btw, the weather in Knoxville is Horrible!

Good luck!

anitadonielle

New

Post by anitadonielle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 pm

obamacare123 wrote:Honestly, I deeply REGRET coming to UT law. The school does not have a good reputation at the national level. Most 3L graduates still do not have their legal jobs. Also, The Record's Office staffs (including Dean Morgan) are very rude and arrogant. They are not professional at all. You will know what I said is truth when you study at the UT law.

Good luck!

You are the first person I have from that talks about UTK law that badly. Is it mostly because the students don't have jobs or the people are really rude?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 am

obamacare123 wrote:Honestly, I deeply REGRET coming to UT law. The school does not have a good reputation at the national level. Most 3L graduates still do not have their legal jobs. Also, The Record's Office staffs (including Dean Morgan) are very rude and arrogant. They are not professional at all. You will know what I said is truth when you study at the UT law.

Good luck!

Wow, yep; you are the first person I've heard say really bad things about UT Law! Nationally, UT Law does not stretch very far, but my plan is to stay in Knoxville or Tennessee in general. I like Dean Morgan, she does come off as tough, but I read it more to be "tough love" not rudeness and everyone in records has been nothing short of awesome to my family! Dean Morgan is exactly what I need in a Dean of Students. She is exactly what I expect from a person who has worked as assistant district attorney general in Knox County. She was one of the reasons why I chose UTK Law. And, in the office next door, Janet Hatch and Phyllis Brewer are some of the sweetest most helpful women I ave ever met. Prof. Kuney, one of the other reasons I joined, is one of the leading men in Business Transaction Law. My choice all came down to price, Deans of the school, professors, and the current students- they were all honest and showed me that UTK was the exact fit I needed. It is going to be tough, and the job market will always be hard; but I did not want to become a Lawyer because I felt like it was an easy path to making money. I am going to UTK because I love a challenge; I want to have a job where research, thinking critically, customer service, and helping people were a prerequisite for any type of success. I know many jobs fall under my wants, but being an attorney is a dream of mine and UTK Law is my school. Again, thank you for your honesty and I hope you PM me if you have any advice that you would not liked publicly broadcasted.

Just some questions-
Most 3L's graduates- does that include the people going into their 3L year or just newly graduated? If it is the case of people going into their 3L year I know people at top 14 and top 30 Law schools who are 3L's and have not secured a job yet. (Plus, the newly graduated just took the bar right?) The question that has to be asked- do people find jobs in the summer? Do they get summer externships paying somewhere in the neighborhood of 19+ an hour? And are the people in the career services center doing their best to set up interviews for 3L's? I really appreciate your honesty. If you could give us, who made the decision to go, any advice out side of "don't come" what would you say...?

Daniel

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 am

anitadonielle wrote:

Good luck!

You are the first person I have from that talks about UTK law that badly. Is it mostly because the students don't have jobs or the people are really rude?
Hey, did you decide to commit to a place yet?

LakerVol89

New

Post by LakerVol89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey y'all quick question for either a current UTK Law student or 1L in the fall. I am not in UTK Law or applying but I was curious about how to get in state residency at UTK. I am going to attend graduate school at UTK in about a week. I am from out of state and am now a resident of Tennessee (I have a TN driver's license, applied for voter's registration, mailing address in TN). I would like to get in state residency but I am not married or in the military or have school age children. I saw an interesting idea on one of the law webpages about creating a LLC in Tennessee? Would creating a LLC get me in state tuition?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 pm

anitadonielle wrote:

Good luck!

The weather in Knoxville is delightful and I have yet to meet a rude person on campus or an involved 3L that does not have a job lined up. That is not to say that everyone gets a legal job (UTK's employment statistics show that that is definitely not true) but I'm sure stats are higher than obamacare is implying.

Its probably true that UT doesn't have a great national reputation, but if I wanted a job in DC or something like that, I wouldn't be going to school so far away. They do have a good reputation in the south though.

But for any future 1Ls, make sure you do your research before deciding schools. Don't take all of your advice (positive or negative) from TLS. Visit schools and speak with students (not just student advisers) so you can make your best informed decision.
LakerVol89 wrote:Hey y'all quick question for either a current UTK Law student or 1L in the fall. I am not in UTK Law or applying but I was curious about how to get in state residency at UTK. I am going to attend graduate school at UTK in about a week. I am from out of state and am now a resident of Tennessee (I have a TN driver's license, applied for voter's registration, mailing address in TN). I would like to get in state residency but I am not married or in the military or have school age children. I saw an interesting idea on one of the law webpages about creating a LLC in Tennessee? Would creating a LLC get me in state tuition?
I think I remember reading that it is hard to get residency in Tennessee. I think you have to have ties to the state outside of school for residency so that they know you are going to stay around. I would check with your adviser to be sure because I don't know anything about creating an LLC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”