Should I drop out of my TTT under these circumstances?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LOLyer

Re: Should I drop out of my TTT under these circumstances?

Postby LOLyer » Tue May 29, 2012 2:15 pm

sunynp wrote:Yes that plan works great for everyone. No question that everybody will get on law review and have great grades despite the mandatory curve!

If you're simply playing the odds, law is the LAST profession you need to be in.

Besides, it's no harder to make great grades at a TTT than it is to get accepted into a T1.

Low ranked state schools probably take the least amount of bashing, because these schools are typically in insular, low COL areas, low tuition, and have little in the way of competition. SIU, North Dakota, etc, never receive the amount of bashing that the private TTT/Ts take. Think Cooley, NYLS, Florida Coastal, etc. You're attacking a problem that doesn't really exist.

False. Low ranked state schools receive enormous amounts of bashing. See "North" and "rickgrimes69," supra.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue May 29, 2012 2:32 pm

LOLyer wrote:See "North" and "rickgrimes69," supra.

see Quote function. ....................... Passim.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue May 29, 2012 2:36 pm

LOLyer wrote: Besides, it's no harder to make great grades at a TTT than it is to get accepted into a T1.

Holy Shit

barestin

Postby barestin » Tue May 29, 2012 2:40 pm

PDaddy wrote:Are these "contacts" likely to lead to a decent job? That is literally the $100,000 question.

$50K debt plus low interest upon graduation is very managable if you come out with a law job, even if it's at a boutique firm or elsewhere. If you can make at least $50,000+ per year, you will be fine. A good rule of thumb is to try and garner a job with a yearly salary that equals or exceeds your graduating debt, and live in a low cost area. If you are doing well enough to land in the top-1/3 of the class and have a supportive family and good legal contacts, I see little reason to quit. Yes, you could be doing other, less risky and potentially more profitable things; but your law degree will still be a thing of prestige if you can find a way to make it work for you.

I try to keep regular contact with them but they are all are solo practioners (so I doubt I will be offerred full-time associate jobs with them personally out of law school). However, one of them told me a story of him helping someone a couple years ago get an associate position at the firm he used to work for before he started his own practice. *Fingers crossed*

In response to the new TLS'ers who have chimed in about not minding to work "ShitLaw," from talking with solo practioner attorneys working in these types of fields, it seems all of them are easily clearing six figures since hanging their own shingles, which I will definetely like to do after gaining a few years of experience working as an associate after law school.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm

LOLyer wrote:False. Low ranked state schools receive enormous amounts of bashing. See "North" and "rickgrimes69," supra.

I absolutely think there is a time and place for someone to attend a lesser ranked school. For instance, the OP has a perfect example of somebody taking on a manageable amount of debt, doing reasonably well, and targeting a local area they have ties to.

I LOL'd at you because what you said was stupid.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 am

kwais wrote:
LOLyer wrote: Besides, it's no harder to make great grades at a TTT than it is to get accepted into a T1.

Holy Shit

Seriously. It's 10:30 and this is the stupidest shit I will read all day.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:51 am

Very clever thread OP. :wink:

This is truly a "I saw what you did there moment".

barestin

Postby barestin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Very clever thread OP. :wink:

This is truly a "I saw what you did there moment".

Not sure I follow. Please elaborate. :?

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 pm

You know, I've noticed a trend on this site. Someone asks a perfectly reasonable question in a forum. People try to give them help, are generally friendly (mostly...).

Then the Bro Brigade shows up, and derails the thread and spews incomprehensible garbage.

Quit it. It's getting old.

Anyways, as to OP...you have limited options, but you have a huge advantage. You have an awareness of the big problem facing you. My advice* would be to NOT drop out, finish up the degree, man up and network the hell outta your second two years.

There is no force on this earth that will substitute for good, old fashioned hustlin'. Bad schools have good students all the time, and they go somewhere. I never said things would be easy, but it seems like the best and most realistic option you have. It is not worth dropping out with zero job prospects, 50k debt and no ability to get a job that'll pay them off.

*Poster is a 0L with no actual experience in law, merely common sense. Poster is not responsible for any lapses in logic, relation to the real world or other important factors that may or may not render advice as useless. Batteries not included. See store for details.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:*Poster is a 0L with no actual experience in law, merely common sense. Poster is not responsible for any lapses in logic, relation to the real world or other important factors that may or may not render advice as useless. Batteries not included. See store for details.

This is adorable.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

You might want to look at the NALP data for 2011 in making your decision. The numbers are brutal and I don't think they are improving for TTT schools.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186358

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”