K-JD internship experiences Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lacepiece23

Silver

K-JD internship experiences

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:40 pm

I tried the search button but didn't see a thread on this. I am going K-JD which i know is discouraged but have gotten into the school i want at the price i wanted. My question is for employment purposes does doing an internship in a non-related industry for the past 3 summers count at all as work experience? I have worked summer and winter for the past two summers and will work again this summer. Will employers count this at all as work experience come OCI time or will I just be another K-JD in their eyes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: K-JD internship experiences

Post by NoleinNY » Fri May 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Just curious, what kind of experience was it?

Because sometimes, they can be marginally useful. They won't overcome a class rank firms won't take, but if it's in an area that makes you unique and may fit in a niche practice area of there's, they can be. I know someone in my school, for instance, who interned at a utility company. This got him call backs with firms that specialize in that area. (Note: he was not a science background guy.)

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 pm

NoleinNY wrote:Just curious, what kind of experience was it?

Because sometimes, they can be marginally useful. They won't overcome a class rank firms won't take, but if it's in an area that makes you unique and may fit in a niche practice area of there's, they can be. I know someone in my school, for instance, who interned at a utility company. This got him call backs with firms that specialize in that area. (Note: he was not a science background guy.)
Its experience with a health insurance company, Highmark, which is the biggest health insurer in the Pittsburgh area. So I mean it is a legitimate corporation. I've just been reading a lot of threads lately about K-JD's striking out without any work experience, so I was wondering if basically a year adding all the summers and winters i've worked at a pretty large company would at all be useful for hiring purposes. Everytime I ready one of those K-JD no work experience threads I was hoping they were referring more to people who spent the summers landscaping or babysitting, but I just wanted some clarification.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 pm

It might give you the tiebreaker over a person at a similar school with similar grades who spent their summers babysitting, but the person with a real-world post-grad job might still get the nod over you (also assuming similar school/grades).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”