stupid lay people questions about law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shredderrrrrr

Re: stupid lay people questions about law school

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Thinking I made a better decision with the information I have is not being judgemental in the connotation you are implying here. I don't see how this means I hold myself in higher regards. Doing a search on tls on choosing a law school as well as other data from aba, lst and other sources has given me an insight into what a good decision is. Paying sticker to go to the highest ranked u.s news TTT you can get into is not a good decision. I don't hold myself in high regards for making a good decision. I hold the decision I've made in high regards. Some people make stupid decisions. It does not necessarily mean that they are stupid or be held in low regard.

Isn't the goal of going to law school to become a lawyer? Since these individuals are lawyers, it appears their decision worked out for them. Aren't you making assumptions that they made a bad choice/could've made a better one? You only know about your decisions, not theirs. If you end up unemployed three years from now, for example, who will have made the better choice, you or them?

I guess this all depends on how you define a "good decision." I, for one, define it as one that enables you to do what you want (which it appears your enemies have done). If, however, you define it as one that is safe and practical regardless of outcome, than you'd obviously use a different criteria to judge it.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Whats interesting about the "dumb questions" is that they are actually quite reasonable, and only a clueless directionless law student wouldn't know how to answer them. For example, "What type of law do you want to practice?" well, you are about to spend 3 years and a lot of money on law school, and you don't have a solid answer for this?? You just want to be a lawyer I guess? Many law students don't have an answer, and I think that says a lot about how prepared and knowing they are about what they are getting themselves into.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Seriously this. And anyone suggesting OP should confront the attorneys or be bitchy to them is retarded. What do you think this is, high school?

Life's too short to work around snobs --let alone snobs who went to TTT schools. The OP is in a situation where these guys are giving him bad advice that he doesn't want, being dicks to his coworkers, and are probably not very smart to begin with. You're saying that he, as a man, should just endure this because "it isn't high school"? I guess, "to each his/her own", right? I just think that you only live once.

That creed of slutty college freshman doesn't apply. In the real world, you have to work with assholes. Sometimes you even have to kiss their asses. You certainly don't get to tell them off. If you want to live like that, stay the fuck out of service industries.

There's a difference between telling somebody off and confronting them profesionally. It's clear that these people are inferior although they don't seem to realize it yet. They're slow, they went to TTT, and they don't understand the law school game yet they insist on asking the OP questions, solicit poor advice, and ask him to come to social gatherings while being rude to his coworkers. This guy needs to go to the office every day --this isn't the Feudal ages, he has rights.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri May 25, 2012 3:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
manofjustice wrote:I would say, though, that no school, T14 or TTT, is very clearly worth sticker. T10-T30 is probably not. So, if you are (trying to) justifying sticker, I do not sympathize with you.

So MVPB is worth sticker and DCN isn't? You seem dumb.

Keep it civil. You rate schools on their value. Their value is their employment prospects. Rating schools on their big firm placement, NU and Cornell is T10. Duke isn't. Vanderbilt certinally isn't T10 in any ranking. So, where are you going with this?

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri May 25, 2012 3:06 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Seriously this. And anyone suggesting OP should confront the attorneys or be bitchy to them is retarded. What do you think this is, high school?

Life's too short to work around snobs --let alone snobs who went to TTT schools. The OP is in a situation where these guys are giving him bad advice that he doesn't want, being dicks to his coworkers, and are probably not very smart to begin with. You're saying that he, as a man, should just endure this because "it isn't high school"? I guess, "to each his/her own", right? I just think that you only live once.

That creed of slutty college freshman doesn't apply. In the real world, you have to work with assholes. Sometimes you even have to kiss their asses. You certainly don't get to tell them off. If you want to live like that, stay the fuck out of service industries.

There's a difference between telling somebody off and confronting them profesionally. It's clear that these people are inferior although they don't seem to realize it yet. They're slow, they went to TTT, and they don't understand the law school game yet they insist on asking the OP questions, solicit poor advice, and ask him to come to social gatherings while being rude to his coworkers. This guy needs to go to the office every day --this isn't the Feudal ages, he has rights.

laxbrah, trolling?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 3:08 pm

laxbrah, trolling?

I thought that was assumed in his first post ITT...others seem to see it differently though

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri May 25, 2012 3:12 pm

So what type of law do you want to practice, OP?

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri May 25, 2012 3:14 pm

justonemoregame wrote:So what type of law do you want to practice, OP?

how dare you

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 25, 2012 3:16 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
answer23 wrote:What do you guys say when lay people ask you dumb questions about law school. I'm starting in the fall. I'm getting sick and tired of peeople asking me the same old dumb questions. What type of law do you want to practice? That's annoying mainly because the answer I would give would be something like transactional or litigation but would be open to both. But the answer a lay person would expect is family law or criminal or defense/prosecution. Talking to lay people about law school is becoming nauseating. I also work with a bunch of TTT lawyers in an office. These lawyers are probaly the slowest uninformed people I've ever been around (no joke). They assume that all law schools are TTT regionals who charge 200k. This will not be my situation and I can't relate to them. I've been there for about a year. I'll be there until august and can't wait to get out. How do I handle this?

I hear your pain, brother. I too work with people who do not know that there are non TTT schools that charge $200k. It's very frustrating working with these people, because despite my efforts to explain it to them once, they didn't understand, and I really want them to understand. When I work near slow people, I find that I get slower myself, and getting slower is one of my biggest fears. To combat this, I try to listen to fast paced music when I'm not around them to counter balance the situation. I also go very light on coffee to reduce my cortisol levels.
In terms of lay people asking me about law school, I just tell them "I'm doing international law", they say "cool", and I get to laugh. I'm not sure why you're getting so angry about this, brother. It's quite clear that you're smarter than everyone you're around, so it's important that you embrace this fact positively, rather than getting nauseous from it. One thing that I like to do when people ask me stupid questions is go to the bathroom and masturbate. Have you tried this? It's a great stress reliever.

something above 180 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Fri May 25, 2012 3:16 pm

answer23 wrote:What do you guys say when lay people ask you dumb questions about law school. I'm starting in the fall. I'm getting sick and tired of peeople asking me the same old dumb questions. What type of law do you want to practice? That's annoying mainly because the answer I would give would be something like transactional or litigation but would be open to both. But the answer a lay person would expect is family law or criminal or defense/prosecution. Talking to lay people about law school is becoming nauseating. I also work with a bunch of TTT lawyers in an office. These lawyers are probaly the slowest uninformed people I've ever been around (no joke). They assume that all law schools are TTT regionals who charge 200k. This will not be my situation and I can't relate to them. I've been there for about a year. I'll be there until august and can't wait to get out. How do I handle this?

Some people just don't realize you are above them OP, and are interested in your life.
Just continue to look down upon them, if they get too plebishly annoying, throw 'em a backhanded slap every once in a while to assert your superiority. Also, try condescendingly laughing in their faces before leaving abruptly.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 pm

OP:

Grow the FUCK up!!! I foresee you struggling greatly as an attorney. Have fun tying to make it in this service industry.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:20 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Thinking I made a better decision with the information I have is not being judgemental in the connotation you are implying here. I don't see how this means I hold myself in higher regards. Doing a search on tls on choosing a law school as well as other data from aba, lst and other sources has given me an insight into what a good decision is. Paying sticker to go to the highest ranked u.s news TTT you can get into is not a good decision. I don't hold myself in high regards for making a good decision. I hold the decision I've made in high regards. Some people make stupid decisions. It does not necessarily mean that they are stupid or be held in low regard.

Isn't the goal of going to law school to become a lawyer? Since these individuals are lawyers, it appears their decision worked out for them. Aren't you making assumptions that they made a bad choice/could've made a better one? You only know about your decisions, not theirs. If you end up unemployed three years from now, for example, who will have made the better choice, you or them?

I guess this all depends on how you define a "good decision." I, for one, define it as one that enables you to do what you want (which it appears your enemies have done). If, however, you define it as one that is safe and practical regardless of outcome, than you'd obviously use a different criteria to judge it.

Seriously paying 200k for a 45k job is not what these lawyers had in mind. The only thing these people have that makes them feel better about themselves is to put down the staff. I've overheard conversations on cell phones (thin walls) with statements like I owe 200k but atleast I'm not a fucking paralegal or janitor. My office is the type of office where jd underground type of lawyers work.

nihil1315

Postby nihil1315 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 pm

So your elitism even includes which free message board you choose to post on. Cool, bro.

To answer your original question, you seem like a brutal person to have a conversation with, which is probably why people end up asking these generic questions over and over. Maybe try being a little less haughty.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:28 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:OP:

Grow the FUCK up!!! I foresee you struggling greatly as an attorney. Have fun tying to make it in this service industry.

No you need to grow the fuck up dumbass. What is so wrong about wanting to be treated like a human being regardless of your title. I foresee you as a future douchbag assclown who can’t be bothered with the staff. YOU GROW THE FUCK UP.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:30 pm

answer23 wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:OP:

No you need to grow the fuck up dumbass. What is so wrong about wanting to be treated like a human being regardless of your title. I foresee you as a future douchbag assclown who can’t be bothered with the staff. YOU GROW THE FUCK UP.

You are an insufferable immature douchebag. And quite likely a child

/thread

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 25, 2012 4:32 pm

I love how OP has transformed from a pouty brat annoyed with laypeople making small talk to the noble victim of cruel attorney snobbery.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 4:39 pm

IAFG wrote:I love how OP has transformed from a pouty brat annoyed with laypeople making small talk to the noble victim of cruel attorney snobbery.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:56 pm

IAFG wrote:I love how OP has transformed from a pouty brat annoyed with laypeople making small talk to the noble victim of cruel attorney snobbery.

These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about debt, minimizing my debt as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never told people that I work with that I was going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.

edited "debt" for grammar N azi
Last edited by answer23 on Fri May 25, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

answer23 wrote:

These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never tell people I work with I’m going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.

OP, where do you get off in thinking you are some sort of law school/legal profession expert now? It does sound like your bosses might be somewhat arrogant, but this just seems very...petty and haughty (as someone mentioned above) to say the absolute least.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

answer23 wrote:

These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never told people that I work with that I was going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.

Maybe you should have spent some of those countless hours learning how to spell *debt* correctly.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

International space Law with a concentration in planetary and moon colonization law especially as it relates to the future of space travel. Thank you for asking

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Can I read your personal statement?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm

answer23 wrote:

These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never told people that I work with that I was going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.

This is the shit that makes you sound like a douche. Stop calling them laypeople and stop making it seem as though you are some expert.

And you think it's annoying getting unsolicited advice and having to answer stupid questions? Try belonging to a family with over 5 aunts/uncles on each side. People think they know what they're talking about and are just trying to help you. Not everyone can be as intelligent as you.

nihil1315

Postby nihil1315 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:06 pm

answer23 wrote:

International space Law with a concentration in planetary and moon colonization law especially as it relates to the future of space travel. Thank you for asking

For that kind of law you should go to the highest ranked school you're accepted into.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Can I read your personal statement?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”