stupid lay people questions about law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MrPapagiorgio

Re: stupid lay people questions about law school

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 25, 2012 1:43 pm

answer23 wrote:I also work with a bunch of TTT lawyers in an office. These lawyers are probaly the slowest uninformed people I've ever been around (no joke). They assume that all law schools are TTT regionals who charge 200k. This will not be my situation and I can't relate to them.

Followed by

answer23 wrote:I have a very low tolerance for lawyers who think they are better than anyone simply because they are lawyers.

So you have no tolerance for lawyers consider themselves superior just for being lawyers, but you have inferred pretty strongly that you are better than the TTT lawyers in your office because you have been accepted into a better law school. So lawyers can't think they are better than others just for being lawyers, but a 0L can feel superior to practicing lawyers because he has been accepted to a good school? Cool.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri May 25, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:44 pm

answer23 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:No I'm not fucking kidding you. Now I realize you were talking in the 3rd person you fucking weirdo, but still, when somebody says "I have a low tolerance", and I respond, "what happens after the tolerance is breached", an appropriate response is not to explain an example of how the tolerance is breached. And you simply don't go to their functions?? That's hardly a consequence. They probably didn't want you there anyways because you're a total putz.

Hardly a consequence is still a consequence. If they didn’t want me there they should not have invited me. How would you feel if all of a sudden people invited you to a function but did not invite your other coworkers who happen to be your true friends? I'm guessing you are one of those future esteem esquire's who can't be bothered with the staff.

No shit. It's just pretty hard to understand your drivel when you speak in the third person, assclown. I gave you three options before though. You really need to confront these people and stop being a putz on the Internet.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 pm

answer23 wrote:Hardly a consequence is still a consequence. If they didn’t want me there they should not have invited me. How would you feel if all of a sudden people invited you to a function but did not invite your other coworkers who happen to be your true friends? I'm guessing you are one of those future esteem esquire's who can't be bothered with the staff.

In third grade, I got invited to Timmy’s birthday party. I had just started playing on Timmy’s soccer team. My other friends didn’t get invited to his birthday party, as none of them had played soccer, nor did they want to play soccer or meet other current soccer players.

I went on an AOL chat and told everybody there Timmy was a stupid booger eater who should have taken an interest in me BEFORE I had a commonality with him. They all agreed before asking my A/S/L.

I feel our situations are fairly synonymous.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Birdnals wrote:
answer23 wrote:Hardly a consequence is still a consequence. If they didn’t want me there they should not have invited me. How would you feel if all of a sudden people invited you to a function but did not invite your other coworkers who happen to be your true friends? I'm guessing you are one of those future esteem esquire's who can't be bothered with the staff.

In third grade, I got invited to Timmy’s birthday party. I had just started playing on Timmy’s soccer team. My other friends didn’t get invited to his birthday party, as none of them had played soccer, nor did they want to play soccer or meet other current soccer players.

I went on an AOL chat and told everybody there Timmy was a stupid booger eater who should have taken an interest in me BEFORE I had a commonality with him. They all agreed before asking my A/S/L.

Except that you stood up for your friends in an active manner. This guy is the worst

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri May 25, 2012 1:50 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

Except that you stood up for your friends in an active manner. This guy is the worst

Ohh no, I just had my mommy call Timmy's mommy to tell them I had a tummy ache and wouldn't be coming

PutSumGravyOnIt

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri May 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Also ITT:

Dude gets TLSed for frivolous post. Hilarity involving sarcasm and masturbation ensues.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
answer23 wrote:I also work with a bunch of TTT lawyers in an office. These lawyers are probaly the slowest uninformed people I've ever been around (no joke). They assume that all law schools are TTT regionals who charge 200k. This will not be my situation and I can't relate to them.

Followed by

answer23 wrote:I have a very low tolerance for lawyers who think they are better than anyone simply because they are lawyers.

So you have no tolerance for lawyers consider themselves superior just for being lawyers, but you have inferred pretty strongly that you are better than the TTT lawyers in your office because you have been accepted into a better law school. So lawyers can't think they are better than others just for being lawyers, but a 0L can feel superior to practicing lawyers because he has been accepted to a good school? Cool.

No not cool I never said that. I don’t think I’m better than the TTT lawyers at my office because I got into a better school. Going to a “better law school” does not make you “a better person”. I think I’ve made a better decision and have weight all the consequences. Lawyer or non-lawyer no one is better than anyone on the basis of a job title or school pedigree.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Birdnals wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

Ohh no, I just had my mommy call Timmy's mommy to tell them I had a tummy ache and wouldn't be coming

That's cool, but these are people in their 20's,30'3 and 40's acting like children.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 pm

answer23 wrote:That's cool, but these are people in their 20's,30'3 and 40's acting like children.

Yeah, I will agree that every single person involved in both our situations (minus your staff co-workers, who I don’t know enough about to judge, and Timmy's mom, who is quite a nice lady), are/were acting like total children.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 2:17 pm

answer23 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Followed by

No not cool I never said that. I don’t think I’m better than the TTT lawyers at my office because I got into a better school. Going to a “better law school” does not make you “a better person”. I think I’ve made a better decision and have weight all the consequences. Lawyer or non-lawyer no one is better than anyone on the basis of a job title or school pedigree.

You're claiming to be a non-judgmental person, but you are holding yourself in higher regards because "you think" you made a better decision than them? Aren't they the ones with paying jobs and you are the 0L? It sounds like the people you're bitching about are annoying but it seems that you've got them beat.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 pm

I am gonna throw in my hat and sympathize with OP. People...even some lawyers...just don't quite know what they are talking about. Figuring out what is the right decision for you involves massive information absorption, consideration, and more absorption, then weighing and intuition. Some people think they can cut through that with a bunch of generalities, and don't help you with the actual process, described above, of making a decision.

Also, lawyers with TTT-like jobs often think that "if only I went to a better school..."...yea, umm, sure.

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Fri May 25, 2012 2:24 pm

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Birdnals wrote:
answer23 wrote:That's cool, but these are people in their 20's,30'3 and 40's acting like children.

Yeah, I will agree that every single person involved in both our situations (minus your staff co-workers, who I don’t know enough about to judge, and Timmy's mom, who is quite a nice lady), are/were acting like total children.

Are you seriously suggesting that I should go to these functions, ignore my real friends and socialize with people who did not care to say hi to me before I got into law school? I have no desire to hang out or socialize with these people. I still value my friends even if they are not going to law school.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri May 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Just stop being a pompous douche-bag and everything should fall into place.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri May 25, 2012 2:26 pm

I would say, though, that no school, T14 or TTT, is very clearly worth sticker. T10-T30 is probably not. So, if you are (trying to) justifying sticker, I do not sympathize with you.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 25, 2012 2:30 pm

answer23 wrote: I have a very low tolerance for lawyers who think they are better than anyone simply because they are lawyers.

I'm going to assume that you haven't been around that much until recently?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 25, 2012 2:31 pm

manofjustice wrote:I would say, though, that no school, T14 or TTT, is very clearly worth sticker. T10-T30 is probably not. So, if you are (trying to) justifying sticker, I do not sympathize with you.

So MVPB is worth sticker and DCN isn't? You seem dumb.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 pm

answer23 wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that I should go to these functions, ignore my real friends and socialize with people who did not care to say hi to me before I got into law school? I have no desire to hang out or socialize with these people. I still value my friends even if they are not going to law school.

do you need their connections or references? If no, then don't go and stop whining. If yes, then go and stop whining. In life, sometimes you do things that you don't want to get things you do. There are worse things.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri May 25, 2012 2:34 pm

THEY WANT WHAT YOU HAVE.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 2:35 pm

outsidethescope wrote:Image

LOL

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 pm

answer23 wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

It's called schmoozing. Pretty sure you are gonna need that skill as a lawyer.

Also, why the fuck will your friends care who you spend time with? What is this - high school?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 pm

kwais wrote:
answer23 wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

do you need their connections or references? If no, then don't go and stop whining. If yes, then go and stop whining. In life, sometimes you do things that you don't want to get things you do. There are worse things.

Seriously this. And anyone suggesting OP should confront the attorneys or be bitchy to them is retarded. What do you think this is, high school?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:41 pm

IAFG wrote:Seriously this. And anyone suggesting OP should confront the attorneys or be bitchy to them is retarded. What do you think this is, high school?

Life's too short to work around snobs --let alone snobs who went to TTT schools. The OP is in a situation where these guys are giving him bad advice that he doesn't want, being dicks to his coworkers, and are probably not very smart to begin with. You're saying that he, as a man, should just endure this because "it isn't high school"? I guess, "to each his/her own", right? I just think that you only live once.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:42 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
answer23 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Followed by

You're claiming to be a non-judgmental person, but you are holding yourself in higher regards because "you think" you made a better decision than them? Aren't they the ones with paying jobs and you are the 0L? It sounds like the people you're bitching about are annoying but it seems that you've got them beat.

Thinking I made a better decision with the information I have is not being judgemental in the connotation you are implying here. I don't see how this means I hold myself in higher regards. Doing a search on tls on choosing a law school as well as other data from aba, lst and other sources has given me an insight into what a good decision is. Paying sticker to go to the highest ranked u.s news TTT you can get into is not a good decision. I don't hold myself in high regards for making a good decision. I hold the decision I've made in high regards. Some people make stupid decisions. It does not necessarily mean that they are stupid or be held in low regard.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 25, 2012 2:53 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Seriously this. And anyone suggesting OP should confront the attorneys or be bitchy to them is retarded. What do you think this is, high school?

Life's too short to work around snobs --let alone snobs who went to TTT schools. The OP is in a situation where these guys are giving him bad advice that he doesn't want, being dicks to his coworkers, and are probably not very smart to begin with. You're saying that he, as a man, should just endure this because "it isn't high school"? I guess, "to each his/her own", right? I just think that you only live once.

That creed of slutty college freshman doesn't apply. In the real world, you have to work with assholes. Sometimes you even have to kiss their asses. You certainly don't get to tell them off. If you want to live like that, stay the fuck out of service industries.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”