stupid lay people questions about law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fronkman

Re: stupid lay people questions about law school

Postby fronkman » Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 pm

answer23 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:So what type of law do you want to practice, OP?

International space Law with a concentration in planetary and moon colonization law especially as it relates to the future of space travel. Thank you for asking

We're lawyers on the moon
We carry a harpoon
But their ain't no laws, so we tell tall tales
And sing our lawyering tune

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:40 am

TyrionLannister wrote:OP: Whether or not you want to socialize with your bosses has become irrelevant. It is clear that you do not value their expertise, nor need the business relationship. If you did, the chore of hanging out with them would no doubt seem like a necessary evil to any intelligent person. Since you do not want to spend time with them, don't. Simple as that.

My question is this - what bad advice have they been giving you that has gotten you so exasperated? Anyone inquiring as to the type of law you want to practice, or even trying to give you advice (no matter how bad it may seem to you), is genuinely interested in you and your future. They are trying to help you and understand you. ITT, you have presented the persona of someone who simply cannot be bothered with people who are genuinely interested in you and who want to offer you help, unsolicited as it may be. Common courtesy dictates that you thank them politely, then ignore said 'bad' advice. Assuming that you are the upstanding and kind person you wish us to think you are - what advice/questions/comments have been so outrageously awful that you needed to come to TLS for help simply because you had no ability to handle the situation yourself? Perhaps with specifics, you may actually get the help that you came here for.

What makes you think that this was not what I've been doing. When people give me bad advice I just nod and thank them politely. My question was how other law students would handle these situations. I don't think some of these lawyers are out there to "help". These lawyers like to hear themselves talk. The advice is more like an ego boost for them. One conversation I had went like
Lawyer: I took citi for my private loans to cover the rest of my loans. They're good.
Me: oh I don't need to take out private loans. The federal government covers everything now with grad plus direct.
Lawyer: yeah right. You should take private loans anyway. Citi is great.
Me: ok sure
Other advice I've gotten:
You should have taken Kaplan. I've never heard of blueprint. Kaplan is better.
Go to TTT school there will be less competition.
Are you sure you want to practice this type of law? It's really hard.
Most don't know the schools in the T14. T20 T30
Where is northwestern? In Boston right?
Duke has a great basketball team.
Oh george Washington. That's in st. Louis right?
Oh great washington & mary it has a good reputation in Maryland.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Sat May 26, 2012 11:51 am

Duke does have a good basketball team. . .

OP: you're just going to have to learn to accept that not everyone is as smart as you. I know, it's painful having to interact with the plebs. Also, unfortunately, other people are at different points in their career than you, so they are paying attention to other things. An attorney who doesn't know what schools are in the Top 14? For shame! How dare he not pay attention to that, considering that they probably graduated from law school (and hence rarely think about law schools anymore) a decade ago. I bet they didn't even read the most recent USNWR!
Also, lawyers tend to like hearing themselves talk. If that bothers you so much, you're going to hate being a lawyer. For serious.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

answer23 wrote:
TyrionLannister wrote:OP: Whether or not you want to socialize with your bosses has become irrelevant. It is clear that you do not value their expertise, nor need the business relationship. If you did, the chore of hanging out with them would no doubt seem like a necessary evil to any intelligent person. Since you do not want to spend time with them, don't. Simple as that.

My question is this - what bad advice have they been giving you that has gotten you so exasperated? Anyone inquiring as to the type of law you want to practice, or even trying to give you advice (no matter how bad it may seem to you), is genuinely interested in you and your future. They are trying to help you and understand you. ITT, you have presented the persona of someone who simply cannot be bothered with people who are genuinely interested in you and who want to offer you help, unsolicited as it may be. Common courtesy dictates that you thank them politely, then ignore said 'bad' advice. Assuming that you are the upstanding and kind person you wish us to think you are - what advice/questions/comments have been so outrageously awful that you needed to come to TLS for help simply because you had no ability to handle the situation yourself? Perhaps with specifics, you may actually get the help that you came here for.

What makes you think that this was not what I've been doing. When people give me bad advice I just nod and thank them politely. My question was how other law students would handle these situations. I don't think some of these lawyers are out there to "help". These lawyers like to hear themselves talk. The advice is more like an ego boost for them. One conversation I had went like
Lawyer: I took citi for my private loans to cover the rest of my loans. They're good.
Me: oh I don't need to take out private loans. The federal government covers everything now with grad plus direct.

This is life. People say dumb shit. This happens wherever you go. Oh, you know why these lawyers aren't up to date on the best prep companies? It's because they probably have a life and don't give a fuck.
How old are you, dude?

My dad is an attorney and he gives me a lot of advice that is out of date, but I don't think he's an idiot for it. I take the advice that is good and don't use the stuff that isn't as good. He's been practicing for over 30 years, and I know he couldn't give a run down of all the t-14 schools. When the rankings came out this year I called him and told him his law school moved up in the rankings, he responded, "so....?"

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 pm

answer23 wrote:

Wow, ok I had no idea it was THIS BAD. Man, I don't envy your situation one bit. Having to put up with such torture must be miserable.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat May 26, 2012 1:01 pm

answer23 wrote:

Oh, wow, who knew you had it so bad? I mean, other people, actually talking to you? And not knowing what schools are in the T14? Preposterous! How will they know how much better your school is than theirs?!

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat May 26, 2012 1:21 pm

this dude is going to fucking love law school

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:58 pm

So glad i read all 5 pages of this thread. This thread is fucking hilarious.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
answer23 wrote:

This is life. People say dumb shit. This happens wherever you go. Oh, you know why these lawyers aren't up to date on the best prep companies? It's because they probably have a life and don't give a fuck.
How old are you, dude?

My dad is an attorney and he gives me a lot of advice that is out of date, but I don't think he's an idiot for it. I take the advice that is good and don't use the stuff that isn't as good. He's been practicing for over 30 years, and I know he couldn't give a run down of all the t-14 schools. When the rankings came out this year I called him and told him his law school moved up in the rankings, he responded, "so....?"

Ok screetch. It's ok to talk out your ass then? If you don't know what the fuck you're talking about they should just shut the fuck up. What is the point of giving outdated advice? If you're going to give advice make sure it's up to date or shut the fuck up. If you're dad is talking out of his ass by giving you bad advice then he is a fucking lazy fuck. Deal with it. Socrates once said a wise man knows what he doesn't know. I don't care that they don't know the top 14 schools, but don't fucking tell me that Hastings is a top14 school when all it takes is a simple google search to find out that it's not.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:11 pm

I thought you weren't taking out loans because you're going to a TT for free?

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:16 pm

answer23 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
answer23 wrote:

How old are you, dude?

Ok screetch. It's ok to talk out your ass then? If you don't know what the fuck you're talking about they should just shut the fuck up. What is the point of giving outdated advice? If you're going to give advice make sure it's up to date or shut the fuck up. If you're dad is talking out of his ass by giving you bad advice then he is a fucking lazy fuck. Deal with it. Socrates once said a wise man knows what he doesn't know. I don't care that they don't know the top 14 schools, but don't fucking tell me that Hastings is a top14 school when all it takes is a simple google search to find out that it's not.

You have now surpassed bearsGrl. Congratulations! You need to go get laid. Seriously. Also, maybe you should STFU. My god you are such an asshat. I hope to god you're trolling.

Edit: maybe you should consider taking Socrates advice...

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 26, 2012 3:19 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I thought you weren't taking out loans because you're going to a TT for free?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sat May 26, 2012 3:20 pm

answer23 wrote:Ok screetch. It's ok to talk out your ass then? If you don't know what the fuck you're talking about they should just shut the fuck up. What is the point of giving outdated advice? If you're going to give advice make sure it's up to date or shut the fuck up. If you're dad is talking out of his ass by giving you bad advice then he is a fucking lazy fuck. Deal with it. Socrates once said a wise man knows what he doesn't know. I don't care that they don't know the top 14 schools, but don't fucking tell me that Hastings is a top14 school when all it takes is a simple google search to find out that it's not.

Agreed. If you don't rigorously google research your water cooler talk you are probably an insufferable mouth breathing ass clown.

Yesterday a lawyer was like "Didn't the Cardinals lose on Thursday 10-8?" and I was like "THEY LOST TEN TO NINE! USE FUCKING GOOGLE!"

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:27 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
answer23 wrote:

Oh, wow, who knew you had it so bad? I mean, other people, actually talking to you? And not knowing what schools are in the T14? Preposterous! How will they know how much better your school is than theirs?!

I don't care that they don't know what rank my school is. As a matter of fact I never told anyone what school I was going to. I could give a rats ass. My plan was to lay low and give 2weeks notice for August but my boss outed me. For a law student you seem to be jumping to a lot of unwarranted assumptions.
P.S
That picture is hilarious. It's not ok to criticize lawyers but perfectly fine to belittle the disable. Who is immature again?

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:I thought you weren't taking out loans because you're going to a TT for free?

Show me where I said that? I never said that.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I just figured. What's your plan, stan

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Neatrends wrote:
answer23 wrote: I've overheard conversations on cell phones (thin walls) with statements like I owe 200k but atleast I'm not a fucking paralegal or janitor.

:lol: This is funny on several dimensions

I could see myself eventually saying this.

I can see why you're defending them. You are an ass.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:38 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I just figured. What's your plan, stan

No you were talking out your ass.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sat May 26, 2012 3:40 pm

But where are you going to go? And have you checked out Citi's rates? I used city for a small loan to study abroad. It worked great. Might want to look into it when you head of to....?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Dude, you had a 2.9 GPA and got a 160 on the LSAT. Calm the fuck down, you're in no position to be looking down on anybody.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 pm

[quote="RedBirds2011"
You have now surpassed bearsGrl. Congratulations! You need to go get laid. Seriously. Also, maybe you should STFU. My god you are such an asshat. I hope to god you're trolling.

Edit: maybe you should consider taking Socrates advice...[/quote]

Are you a fucking parrot or a red bird? Why do you keep repeating what another poster has said?
PS
Another unwarranted assumption. How would you know if I wasn't jizzin your sister last night?

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Birdnals wrote:But where are you going to go? And have you checked out Citi's rates? I used city for a small loan to study abroad. It worked great. Might want to look into it when you head of to....?

OP, Citi is credited. Also, have you thought about what kind of law you might want to go into? With a 2.9 GPA and 160 LSAT, I have heard family or criminal law is great. Also, what is "transactional" or "litigation." I do not understand these terms. Perhaps you could enlighten me????

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm

answer23 wrote:[quote="RedBirds2011"

Edit: maybe you should consider taking Socrates advice...

Are you a fucking parrot or a red bird? Why do you keep repeating what another poster has said?
PS
Another unwarranted assumption. How would you know if I wasn't jizzin your sister last night?[/quote]

I promise you you weren't. Also, its the fucking St. Louis cardinals dumbass. MY GOD WHY DONT YOU USE FUCKING GOOGLE!!!!!
Last edited by RedBirds2011 on Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Dude, you had a 2.9 GPA and got a 160 on the LSAT. Calm the fuck down, you're in no position to be looking down on anybody.

Fuck you. That was in 2010. I took tls advice and retook. I'm not looking down on anyone.
October 2011
2.9 170
Last edited by answer23 on Sat May 26, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 pm

WHERE R U GOING TO SCHOOL
Y DO YOU HATE CITI?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”