stupid lay people questions about law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zanda

Silver

Re: stupid lay people questions about law school

Post by zanda » Fri May 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I think it's far more annoying when people tell me how rich lawyers are and how easy it must be to get a job coming from my law school.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri May 25, 2012 5:10 pm

answer23 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:So what type of law do you want to practice, OP?
International space Law with a concentration in planetary and moon colonization law especially as it relates to the future of space travel. Thank you for asking
Wow, I bet you could work for NASA.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri May 25, 2012 5:10 pm

answer23 wrote:What do you guys say when lay people ask you dumb questions about law school. I'm starting in the fall. I'm getting sick and tired of peeople asking me the same old dumb questions. What type of law do you want to practice? That's annoying mainly because the answer I would give would be something like transactional or litigation but would be open to both. But the answer a lay person would expect is family law or criminal or defense/prosecution. Talking to lay people about law school is becoming nauseating. I also work with a bunch of TTT lawyers in an office. These lawyers are probaly the slowest uninformed people I've ever been around (no joke). They assume that all law schools are TTT regionals who charge 200k. This will not be my situation and I can't relate to them. I've been there for about a year. I'll be there until august and can't wait to get out. How do I handle this?

answer23

Bronze

Post by answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:14 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
answer23 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I love how OP has transformed from a pouty brat annoyed with laypeople making small talk to the noble victim of cruel attorney snobbery.
These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never tell people I work with I’m going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.

OP, where do you get off in thinking you are some sort of law school/legal profession expert now? It does sound like your bosses might be somewhat arrogant, but this just seems very...petty and haughty (as someone mentioned above) to say the absolute least.
I never claim to be a school/legal profession expert, but I do recognize shitty advice when I see it. Paying 200K+ to go to the highest us news ttt you can get to is shitty advice. I'm glad you learn a new word on tls. I hope it should serve you well in your academic future.

answer23

Bronze

Post by answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:17 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
answer23 wrote:
International space Law with a concentration in planetary and moon colonization law especially as it relates to the future of space travel. Thank you for asking
Wow, I bet you could work for NASA.
Does NASA have an in-house legal department? I was hoping to get an in-house position if I strike out at International BIGLAW anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:21 pm

answer23 wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:
answer23 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I love how OP has transformed from a pouty brat annoyed with laypeople making small talk to the noble victim of cruel attorney snobbery.
These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never tell people I work with I’m going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.

OP, where do you get off in thinking you are some sort of law school/legal profession expert now? It does sound like your bosses might be somewhat arrogant, but this just seems very...petty and haughty (as someone mentioned above) to say the absolute least.
I never claim to be a school/legal profession expert, but I do recognize shitty advice when I see it. Paying 200K+ to go to the highest us news ttt you can get to is shitty advice. I'm glad you learn a new word on tls. I hope it should serve you well in your academic future.

Then take it with a grain of salt and move on. Just because it is indeed bad advice isn't making you any less of an asshat here.

Also, wut?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 pm

answer23 wrote:
Is this a real thing? Or I am I just that gullible. I think my year end binge may have killed some brain cells.

As for OP's original problem, it indicates he (she?) is immature and has never actually had to deal with any actual real life situation that had repercussions. I have worked with people who I could not stand on a personal level, my solution was to not socialize with them. Though there are times you will need to network with people you don't like. OP you are as immature and douchey as the people you complain about. Life sucks, get a helmet, and grow the fuck up.

answer23

Bronze

Post by answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
answer23 wrote:
These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never told people that I work with that I was going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.
This is the shit that makes you sound like a douche. Stop calling them laypeople and stop making it seem as though you are some expert.

And you think it's annoying getting unsolicited advice and having to answer stupid questions? Try belonging to a family with over 5 aunts/uncles on each side. People think they know what they're talking about and are just trying to help you. Not everyone can be as intelligent as you.
Are you fucking kidding me. I'm not an expert an cars so I would never tell a mechanic how to do his job. If I were to meet someone who was going to medical school, I wouldn’t be giving them advice about medical school just because I’ve watch a few episodes of grey’s anatomy. I have no problem with a medical student calling me a lay person when it comes to medical school or an engineer or an artist or anything else I know nothing about.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri May 25, 2012 5:31 pm

OP is steady creeping into my top 10. Watch out Bearsgrl

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm

nihil1315 wrote:
answer23 wrote:
For that kind of law you should go to the highest ranked school you're accepted into.
I disagree. I heard Nova Southeastern has the #1 ranked space law program.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 5:37 pm

answer23 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
answer23 wrote:
These are not mutually exclusive. I do admit that I do get annoyed with the same old questions. I've spent countless hours, researching schools, talking to current students at asw, mining countless blogs, forums and data. When after doing all that and still had to go through with anxiety about dept, minimizing my dept as much as possible and still have to worry about getting a job, having lawyers giving me awful unsolicited advice is exasperating. Having laypeople thinking that they are experts at the legal industry because they watch law & order is frustrating. I never told people that I work with that I was going to law school. They found out from a third source. My plan was not to tell my boss about law school until the very last minute, but I had to tell my boss for one of the accepted students day. He told everyone afterwards.
This is the shit that makes you sound like a douche. Stop calling them laypeople and stop making it seem as though you are some expert.

And you think it's annoying getting unsolicited advice and having to answer stupid questions? Try belonging to a family with over 5 aunts/uncles on each side. People think they know what they're talking about and are just trying to help you. Not everyone can be as intelligent as you.
Are you fucking kidding me. I'm not an expert an cars so I would never tell a mechanic how to do his job. If I were to meet someone who was going to medical school, I wouldn’t be giving them advice about medical school just because I’ve watch a few episodes of grey’s anatomy. I have no problem with a medical student calling me a lay person when it comes to medical school or an engineer or an artist or anything else I know nothing about.
Just relax my man. You know what you should do when people give you advice you don't want? Don't take it. Just say, "Huh, ok" and then disregard it. My lord, this shit doesn't matter. People will always do things in life you don't like. Can you do anything about this? No. Nut up.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri May 25, 2012 5:52 pm

zanda wrote:I think it's far more annoying when people tell me how rich lawyers are and how easy it must be to get a job coming from my law school.
This.

answer23

Bronze

Post by answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:59 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
answer23 wrote:What do you guys say when lay people ask you dumb questions about law school. I'm starting in the fall. I'm getting sick and tired of peeople asking me the same old dumb questions. What type of law do you want to practice? That's annoying mainly because the answer I would give would be something like transactional or litigation but would be open to both. But the answer a lay person would expect is family law or criminal or defense/prosecution. Talking to lay people about law school is becoming nauseating. I also work with a bunch of TTT lawyers in an office. These lawyers are probaly the slowest uninformed people I've ever been around (no joke). They assume that all law schools are TTT regionals who charge 200k. This will not be my situation and I can't relate to them. I've been there for about a year. I'll be there until august and can't wait to get out. How do I handle this?
This above is very clever. Wow I've never seen that on tls before. How original

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

answer23

Bronze

Post by answer23 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Icculus wrote:
answer23 wrote:
Is this a real thing? Or I am I just that gullible. I think my year end binge may have killed some brain cells.

As for OP's original problem, it indicates he (she?) is immature and has never actually had to deal with any actual real life situation that had repercussions. I have worked with people who I could not stand on a personal level, my solution was to not socialize with them. Though there are times you will need to network with people you don't like. OP you are as immature and douchey as the people you complain about. Life sucks, get a helmet, and grow the fuck up.
A nortwesterner calling someone immature. Shocking!! Stop the presses. This is exactly what I choose to do. I did not want to socialize with people that look down on me and my coworkers before I got into law school. I'll admit that my original post did not explain my situation fully and may have come off a little douche, but I stand by my friends. I won't apologize for that. I have a summer to hang out and socialize before law school. I'll rather hang out with my real friends. Why is that immature?

outsidethescope

Bronze

Post by outsidethescope » Fri May 25, 2012 7:18 pm

TyrionLannister

Bronze

Post by TyrionLannister » Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 pm

OP: Whether or not you want to socialize with your bosses has become irrelevant. It is clear that you do not value their expertise, nor need the business relationship. If you did, the chore of hanging out with them would no doubt seem like a necessary evil to any intelligent person. Since you do not want to spend time with them, don't. Simple as that.

My question is this - what bad advice have they been giving you that has gotten you so exasperated? Anyone inquiring as to the type of law you want to practice, or even trying to give you advice (no matter how bad it may seem to you), is genuinely interested in you and your future. They are trying to help you and understand you. ITT, you have presented the persona of someone who simply cannot be bothered with people who are genuinely interested in you and who want to offer you help, unsolicited as it may be. Common courtesy dictates that you thank them politely, then ignore said 'bad' advice. Assuming that you are the upstanding and kind person you wish us to think you are - what advice/questions/comments have been so outrageously awful that you needed to come to TLS for help simply because you had no ability to handle the situation yourself? Perhaps with specifics, you may actually get the help that you came here for.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Simple. Same as dealing with any 0L here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 pm

answer23 wrote: I've overheard conversations on cell phones (thin walls) with statements like I owe 200k but atleast I'm not a fucking paralegal or janitor.
:lol: This is funny on several dimensions

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri May 25, 2012 8:38 pm

It gets worse. My favorite: People asking about criminal law when all you learned was the MPC.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Icculus wrote:
this is extremely credited.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Neatrends wrote:
answer23 wrote: I've overheard conversations on cell phones (thin walls) with statements like I owe 200k but atleast I'm not a fucking paralegal or janitor.
:lol: This is funny on several dimensions
I could see myself eventually saying this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

I like that OP has moved himself from "lay person" to "expert" merely by virtue of deciding to attend law school.

Also, if you're going to get this pissy because people unfamiliar with how law school and legal employment work are asking an innocent (and extremely common) question, law school is going to just make you go bugfuck nuts.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 25, 2012 9:07 pm

So I think we've came to the confusion that answer23 isn't cut out for law school. I think we should at least help the guy out by giving him advice for a different career.
Ya know high school social studies teaches get the entire summer off?

FDRSnowball

New

Post by FDRSnowball » Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:So I think we've came to the confusion that answer23 isn't cut out for law school. I think we should at least help the guy out by giving him advice for a different career.
Ya know high school social studies teaches get the entire summer off?
If OP is incapable of dealing with a few obnoxious co-workers there is no way he lasts a whole year (let alone a whole career) in a building full of asshole teenagers.

I actually think being a teacher wouldn't be too bad. Summers off? yes please! The salary's not BigLaw, but it beats the one I get in BigRetail, and the jerbs aren't impossible to find. Maybe I should re-think...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:26 pm

answer23 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
This above is very clever. Wow I've never seen that on tls before. How original

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”