Graduating College in 4.5 years

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
theyoungintellectual

Graduating College in 4.5 years

Postby theyoungintellectual » Thu May 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi TLS,

I'm currently an undergrad at Ohio State and I'm studying Economics and Philosophy and hope to complete a minor in Mathematics. If I take this course of action, I will graduate in four and a half years. I completely love what I'm studying, but I just hate graduating a semester late. I'm hoping to apply to joint JD/MA-Economics programs. My current GPA is a 3.71. And if it helps at all, I am an African American student.

More than anything, do you guys think that it's fine to graduate from college a semester late?

rwhyAn

Re: Graduating College in 4.5 years

Postby rwhyAn » Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 pm

There's really no issue. I left school after my junior year, worked for a few years, eventually returned part-time, and didn't graduate until I was 27. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only things that really count are your GPA and LSAT.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Basically just get your GPA as high as possibly. Don't get a violent felony.
5 years to graduate is becoming the norm.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Yeah I had a similar thing happen. I was about 2 classes short of graduating in 4 years. I took the LSAT planning on that if I did well on it I'd take those two classes the summer before law school started. As things turned out, I didn't do as well as I hoped to so I had to wait next cycle to reapply and take the LSAT again. At this point I started working full time and was going to take the last two classes whenever I had the money and time to. When it came time to prep for the LSAT again I really wasn't feeling it. I figured if I try and take it again this cycle I knew I didn't have the motivation to give it my all so all I did was work this year and took one of the two classes. I am taking the final class now and prepping for the Oct LSAT and I have to say I don't regret waiting to take those last two classes or not settling with a mediocre LSAT and TTT school. Working all last year and I will be working all this year until law school starts next fall really showed me what it is like working in the real world. If you only have a bachelors it sucks. You are relegated to doing mostly clerical stuff and it really starts getting monotonous. Working entry level gigs really made me want to buckle down are restudy for the LSAT and go to a really good law school.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu May 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Get a 170+ and schools might be willing to overlook even a violent felony.

It took me seven years to get one degree. Schools really won't care.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu May 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Schools don't seem to care. I have a 5-year degree in music ed, and I admitted, no problem. Don't need an addendum or nothing. They probably won't even notice, honestly. They've got better things to do than make sure your school years line up perfectly.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu May 24, 2012 7:56 pm

It took me five years, two breaks and a wasted semester. I got into every school I applied to that my numbers said I would.

AtticusJimbo

Postby AtticusJimbo » Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Don't get a violent felony.

lol? it's because he's black, isn't it

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 9:15 pm

AtticusJimbo wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:Don't get a violent felony.

lol? it's because he's black, isn't it

Smh.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm

do everything right and it shouldn't be an issue. I underperformed my numbers but I also applied late and didn't have the best PS (5 years in UG)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”