Maymester?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sjohnson4382

Maymester?

Postby sjohnson4382 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 am

Has anyone taken any Maymester classes in law school? How were they in comparison to others? Reason I ask is that I will be completing law school in 2 1/2 years as I'm over 30 and will be 31 when I start in the fall and I want to be through as quickly as possible. My Option is to either take 2 during each summer session or 1 Maymester and 1 summer session class each summer. I was just looking for any insight or advice.

CanadianWolf

Re: Maymester?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 am

OP: It might help if you specified your law school. Is it South Carolina ?

sjohnson4382

Postby sjohnson4382 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 am

Sorry about that Canadian as that would help. Yes it is South Carolina.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri May 25, 2012 2:51 am

Graduating early might be an awful plan if it limits you doing legal work your 1L and 2L summer. Doing some sort of legal work your 1L summer is important to maximizing your chances of finding something for your 2L summer--and your 2L summer could very well determine where you will work after graduation.

Would you rather graduate law school a semester early without a job or graduate a semester later with a job? Obviously there is no guarantee in either direction, but you will most likely be hurting your chances of landing a legal job by trying to rush through.

sjohnson4382

Postby sjohnson4382 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Sorry again but I should have clarified my job situation.y family has a firm in Aiken that I will most likely be joining after graduation so essentially I have a job. I've been working in law enforcement for the last almost 8 years and have also had an informal type offer for possibly a job with a solicitors office too after graduation so the work experience in the summers and 2l and 3l year would be more for the valuable work experience instead of job prospects. I obviously from a working standpoint the work experience would be quite valuable, but timing is more on my priority list I guess you could say. I guess I'm pretty lucky that I have those opportunities there with the way the legal market is right now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”