Any current law students have advice on LSAT Prep Courses?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MEK21

Any current law students have advice on LSAT Prep Courses?

Postby MEK21 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on LSAT Prep courses? BU is my dream school and I have the GPA but am concerned about my LSAT. I've never been a very good standardized test taker and am worried that's my only shot at BU.

Anyyyyyy advice would be so greatly appreciated :lol:

dowu

Re: Any current law students have advice on LSAT Prep Courses?

Postby dowu » Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MEK21

Postby MEK21 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:Do not take Kaplan.

Self-study, in my opinion, is the way to go.

ETA: I'm not in LS, but you dont have to be to know about this stuff.

haha that's what I've heard! Thanks!

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 pm

MEK21 wrote:

For sure. But if you need the course to help keep you on track, I'd recommend:

1) Blueprint/Powerscore
2) The Princeton Review
3) Testmasters

In that order. PM me if you have any questions.

And no, I don't work for a LSAT prep company. I'm just giving advice that I've learned from long-time lurking these boards and studying for the LSAT myself.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I had a 12 point increase with Kaplan, so it's not like the program doesn't do anything to help you. The consensus does seem to be, though, that Kaplan is not the way to go.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 22, 2012 12:42 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:I had a 12 point increase with Kaplan, so it's not like the program doesn't do anything to help you. The consensus does seem to be, though, that Kaplan is not the way to go.

You probably could have done that on your own. Anecdotally, I believe that Kaplans strategies are weaksauce, as I took the course.

Self-study has helped me more than that course did.

A lot of people will agree that Kaplan is designed to help people get into the high 150s/low 160s. Its not for people trying to break 165+. Your money is better spent with a private tutor.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:I had a 12 point increase with Kaplan, so it's not like the program doesn't do anything to help you. The consensus does seem to be, though, that Kaplan is not the way to go.

You probably could have done that on your own. Anecdotally, I believe that Kaplans strategies are weaksauce, as I took the course.

Self-study has helped me more than that course did.

A lot of people will agree that Kaplan is designed to help people get into the high 150s/low 160s. Its not for people trying to break 165+. Your money is better spent with a private tutor.

I self studied with the LR and LG bibles and lots of old tests, and did very well. Afterwards, I trained to tutor for Kaplan, but due to scheduling conflicts, never actually tutored. The difference in strategy is night and day. Kaplan's course is designed for the masses- you cannot get to 170+ with their basic strats, it takes way too much time (I have no experience with their high performer lessons). Also, Kaplan only requires their tutors to be above the 90th percentile, which is ~163...not a very competitive score for the top programs. I would not waste money on Kaplan when there are better programs out there, and I highly recommend the bibles + going through old tests (with standard or even harder time constraints) if you are disciplined enough.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue May 22, 2012 2:13 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
MEK21 wrote:

1) Blueprint/Powerscore
2) The Princeton Review
3) Testmasters

And no, I don't work for a LSAT prep company. I'm just giving advice that I've learned from long-time lurking these boards and studying for the LSAT myself.

Why in that order? PR's methods are radically different from the other ones you mentioned. BP/PS are derivates of TM.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
MEK21 wrote:

1) Blueprint/Powerscore
2) The Princeton Review
3) Testmasters

Why in that order? PR's methods are radically different from the other ones you mentioned. BP/PS are derivates of TM.

This is the order I've seen (anecdotes from people,myself included) of how effective they believe the course was, over a few years spent on TLS.

The list wasnt meant to deviate the strategies of the courses, rather, how helpful/worth the expense I believed the course to be.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:38 pm

FWIW, I raised my score 15 points with Testmasters

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:17 pm

I raised my score 18 points with Testmasters online course (basically a guided study-at-home course). Found it immensely helpful. I've also heard great things about Powerscore.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed May 23, 2012 10:43 am

I jumped 26 points (from a 154 to a 180) using Princeton Review books and methods. And ended up teaching their courses.

The teacher is more important than the company. Most companies will be able to tell you who the teacher is for a given course some while in advance of the start date, and you want the basic facts about the teacher (score, number of years teaching, additional qualifications). The teacher should sound pretty impressive, or you don't want to take that course.

Also, while TM/PS/BP are all in the same family of methods, I think that BP is closer to PR than you might initially expect (e.g. stem-first on LR).

JohnDorian

Postby JohnDorian » Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:45 am

i went up 21 points from a 155 to 176 using testmasters. I would highly recommend them.

ETA: I did a lot of self study in addition to the tune of taking every practice test at least once so that could be why my score increased as well

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Kaplan is horrible. I took them and they were worthless.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm seriously considering taking the Testmasters course.

LSATsmasher

Postby LSATsmasher » Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm in a Blueprint class right now. Eh, it seems to help, but had I just bought all the LSAC stuff and did it myself I'd probably be $1,400 richer. That being said, I'm not upset about the class.

PaoloMatteo

Postby PaoloMatteo » Sat May 26, 2012 12:55 am

A big thing is learning to deal with stressful situations. When you walk into the testing center, even if you are emotionally frosty, you shall be surrounded by people who are basically freaking the fuck out. Figure out a way to not allow the stress of others permeate your own mind-set. This is huge.

Postby 2014 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:30 am

I used Knewton and went from 168 - 175. They have a 5 point increase guarantee and at least when I did it it was based on your best LSAT score or your diagnostic, whichever is higher. So ultimately I had like a 172 diagnostic (having self studied before) and was guaranteed a 177 so I got the course for free despite being completely satisfied. It's baseline cost is cheaper than most too if i recall so I'd recommend it.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun May 27, 2012 12:45 am

Didn't do any training program and hit 176. I really enjoyed the Logic Games (I'm weird, I know), but honestly if you can spend a lot of time doing things like the Einstein Problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle) you'll improve pretty fast on that stuff. I took about 8 practice exams over 2 months and raised myself from 168 to 176 so I'm a firm believer in self-study. Cherish your practice tests and recognize where you need the most work, then dedicate yourself to that.

As to the actual test day, it's honestly a crapshoot; but if you've built yourself enough confidence by test day. you'll really find yourself quite calm and that will help enormously (I was testing between 173-178 after breaking the 170 barrier).

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:06 pm

I had a good experience with Manahattan LSAT. They do online / tele-tutoring in case they're not located in your city. I did that and it worked well. Combined this with Powerscore books.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed May 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Redamon1 wrote:I had a good experience with Manahattan LSAT. They do online / tele-tutoring in case they're not located in your city. I did that and it worked well. Combined this with Powerscore books.

i just did the self study course and it worked pretty well for me.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Don't do Kaplan. I likely know more about Kaplan than anyone else here :wink: and I'd never recommend it.

Listen to what the others have said. Manhattan and Blueprint would be the first two I'd recommend

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 pm

I did Testmasters and thought it was a great class. ~15 point increase. (I was celebrating a friend's birthday a couple hours before the first diag so I'm unsure of my non-handicapped baseline.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”