T14 Schools and ExamSoft

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
woeisme

Re: T14 Schools and ExamSoft

Postby woeisme » Sun May 20, 2012 9:02 am

Dany wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Dany wrote:Has anyone used it with an open book exam? How does that work?

We use exam soft. For open book you have to print your outlines and bring them with you.

That sounds awful. Ctrl+F is a godsend during exams for me.

Wow. Couldnt do that at Cornell either.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 am

I can't imagine an exam without ctrl+F

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 am

ITT: the "T14" exposed as raging TTT's. I bet Yale doesn't use examsoft, that's probably your best sell Emma.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun May 20, 2012 11:01 am

The Duck wrote:
NC1 wrote:
Dany wrote:It's still three hours, and you're not allowed to copy and paste from your notes/outline.
How would they know? Not saying that I would, but that seems shoddy.

For EBB at least, they override copy/ paste so it's not possible. (even by shortcut)

This is true for PC. Mac users have the function capability for some reason (but it is an honor code to use it because the PC users cannot).

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sun May 20, 2012 12:16 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
The Duck wrote:
NC1 wrote:
Dany wrote:It's still three hours, and you're not allowed to copy and paste from your notes/outline.
How would they know? Not saying that I would, but that seems shoddy.

For EBB at least, they override copy/ paste so it's not possible. (even by shortcut)

This is true for PC. Mac users have the function capability for some reason (but it is an honor code to use it because the PC users cannot).

Doesn't work on my Mac in EBB, in Lion or Snow Leopard. Are you in EBB or Examsoft? The software is customized for each school. Someone must have made a mistake.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun May 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Berkeley uses Word.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun May 20, 2012 12:54 pm

So a lot of people use ctrl + f on exams at UChi?

I think we should get ExamSoft as soon as possible. :twisted:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 20, 2012 1:32 pm

If you give good exams, accessing the Internet is not at all an advantage. The majority of my exams at NU have been open-everything, and I've looked up a statute a couple of times but that's it. It's not helpful when you're trying to keep a 2,000 wph pace. And disallowing CTRL-F makes no sense. So people get credit on the exam for how good they are at tabbing and highlighting? Thats stupid.

ExamSoft adds a layer of encumbrance without any real benefit.

NC1

Postby NC1 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:50 pm

rayiner wrote:If you give good exams, accessing the Internet is not at all an advantage. The majority of my exams at NU have been open-everything, and I've looked up a statute a couple of times but that's it. It's not helpful when you're trying to keep a 2,000 wph pace. And disallowing CTRL-F makes no sense. So people get credit on the exam for how good they are at tabbing and highlighting? Thats stupid.

We all have outlines that we work on and then print out. We have table of contents and we highlight or color code important things. It just makes them easier to find. But back to the ExamSoft thing, whoever that person was that quoted me is dead wrong. Everyone around you can see what your screen looks like. Whenever you look up you're aware of what a person's screen looks like and their pace. ExamSoft has a very distinct, Word 95ish kind of look.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 20, 2012 2:30 pm

NC1 wrote:
rayiner wrote:If you give good exams, accessing the Internet is not at all an advantage. The majority of my exams at NU have been open-everything, and I've looked up a statute a couple of times but that's it. It's not helpful when you're trying to keep a 2,000 wph pace. And disallowing CTRL-F makes no sense. So people get credit on the exam for how good they are at tabbing and highlighting? Thats stupid.

We all have outlines that we work on and then print out. We have table of contents and we highlight or color code important things. It just makes them easier to find. But back to the ExamSoft thing, whoever that person was that quoted me is dead wrong. Everyone around you can see what your screen looks like. Whenever you look up you're aware of what a person's screen looks like and their pace. ExamSoft has a very distinct, Word 95ish kind of look.

The point is that being able to quickly search your outline takes tabbing/outline organization out of the equation at test time. Since its not something you want to measure, that's a good thing.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun May 20, 2012 8:49 pm

rayiner wrote: So people get credit on the exam for how good they are at tabbing and highlighting? Thats stupid.

I think it makes it more important to create your own outline, rather than grabbing some old ones. If you've made it, you're more likely to internalize it, so less flipping through it and a better sense of where something is if you do need to search.

Not that that's better than the alternative of no exam software, of course, just what it means for taking exams.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 20, 2012 9:12 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
rayiner wrote: So people get credit on the exam for how good they are at tabbing and highlighting? Thats stupid.

I think it makes it more important to create your own outline, rather than grabbing some old ones. If you've made it, you're more likely to internalize it, so less flipping through it and a better sense of where something is if you do need to search.

Not that that's better than the alternative of no exam software, of course, just what it means for taking exams.

I create my own outlines, but I don't tab, highlight, etc, because having it online obviates the need to do those things. Forcing people to use paper outlines adds tabbing and highlighting to the list of skills tested on the exam.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 21, 2012 12:31 am

Penn uses exam soft. I did have one class per semester with open computer (multiple choice + Word).

I tab my outlines, works pretty well. I don't agree that organizing skills is not important because I think it is very useful in practice.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 am

So chicago wants to charge you more money because they don't trust you? Sounds like the new classes aren't as rigorous as previous ones...

At georgetown we use word and upload our exams. Frankly, with how random grades are you should just say no and save the money.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 am

rayiner wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

I create my own outlines, but I don't tab, highlight, etc, because having it online obviates the need to do those things. Forcing people to use paper outlines adds tabbing and highlighting to the list of skills tested on the exam.

I think you're overestimating how much time and skill it takes to tab an outline.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
rayiner wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

I think you're overestimating how much time and skill it takes to tab an outline.

Either way it's a skill not worth testing, IMO.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Unitas wrote:So chicago wants to charge you more money because they don't trust you? Sounds like the new classes aren't as rigorous as previous ones...

At georgetown we use word and upload our exams. Frankly, with how random grades are you should just say no and save the money.

The software is free at Penn, just want to note.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

HLS. 7 out of 7 of my exams 1L were takehomes exams taken either in Exam 4's Takehome or Open+Network mode, so I can only speak to that with any personal experience. Overview:
Takehome: Can access hard-drive, internet, and copy+paste.
Open+Network: Can access hard drive, internet, but can't copy+paste
Open + No Network: Can access hard drive, no internet, no copy+paste.
Closed: Nothing.

For takehome. I type my entire exam in word, with the doc saved to dropbox in case something catastrophic happens to my computer, and then c/p it over to Exam 4 in the last 5 minutes to submit. It's sort of just an annoying extra layer to being able to just upload a word doc.

None of the profs I had vaguely considered Closed since they figured it would just provide an advantage to the people who cheated (since it was takehome, you could easily just have another laptop with you). For one of my classes, students anticipated the exam question (correctly), pre-wrote their answer over several days, copy-pasted their answers in, and called it a day.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Rotor wrote:Berkeley uses Word.

And we don't have proctors walking around looking at people's computers, either. Hell, the proctors are only in the room for administrative purposes. They leave as soon as the test starts and come back into the room only to call time and retrieve the exam packets.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Unitas wrote:So chicago wants to charge you more money because they don't trust you? Sounds like the new classes aren't as rigorous as previous ones...

The software is free at Penn, just want to note.

Not to the school. Your tuition dollars at work.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon May 21, 2012 11:37 pm

I would just like to comment to say having Apple + F was life-changing on my one take-home exam this year...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Rotor wrote:Berkeley uses Word.

And we don't have proctors walking around looking at people's computers, either. Hell, the proctors are only in the room for administrative purposes. They leave as soon as the test starts and come back into the room only to call time and retrieve the exam packets.

Preftigious.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”