0L Summer Prep...any advice?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sbl274

0L Summer Prep...any advice?

Postby sbl274 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm headed to lower T-14 in the fall and would like to know from those who'd done extensive preparation in the summer before 1L whether it was helpful in their performance. If so, what books/methods of study would you recommend? I've read that the E&E series are impressive and extremely helpful and I read through the Torts E&E and find to my horror that some of the sample exams posted elsewhere were something I'd be totally unprepared for. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any insight~

Nova

Re: 0L Summer Prep...any advice?

Postby Nova » Wed May 16, 2012 2:37 pm

GTM, LEEWS, relax.

chem

Postby chem » Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm

sbl274 wrote:I'm headed to lower T-14 in the fall and would like to know from those who'd done extensive preparation in the summer before 1L whether it was helpful in their performance. If so, what books/methods of study would you recommend? I've read that the E&E series are impressive and extremely helpful and I read through the Torts E&E and find to my horror that some of the sample exams posted elsewhere were something I'd be totally unprepared for. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any insight~

LOL search function

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149290&view=viewpoll

Postby 071816 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 pm

My advice: don't do any.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Go to med school instead

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Instead of studying material, I recommend that you get your resume into shape, and do several revisions of a generic cover letter. Maybe start looking around at jobs VERY LIGHTLY to get an idea of places you might want to apply Dec 1st, and which you'll leave to later. Balancing sending out job apps with schoolwork is going to stress you out. Instead of studying anything the summer before, I got my resume, generic cover letter, and a draft of a somewhat generic diversity essay in place. When Nov 1 hit and we were allowed to talk to career services, I walked in with my best versions for them to edit and approve, and was very happy I didn't have to figure that out while writing my memo or something.

chem

Postby chem » Wed May 16, 2012 3:39 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Instead of studying material, I recommend that you get your resume into shape, and do several revisions of a generic cover letter. Maybe start looking around at jobs VERY LIGHTLY to get an idea of places you might want to apply Dec 1st, and which you'll leave to later. Balancing sending out job apps with schoolwork is going to stress you out. Instead of studying anything the summer before, I got my resume, generic cover letter, and a draft of a somewhat generic diversity essay in place. When Nov 1 hit and we were allowed to talk to career services, I walked in with my best versions for them to edit and approve, and was very happy I didn't have to figure that out while writing my memo or something.

Any good resources for legal cover letters and resume examples? Just wondering if they are subsantially different/emphasize certain points, especially for 1L when you don't have any grades yet

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 16, 2012 3:45 pm

chem wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Instead of studying material, I recommend that you get your resume into shape, and do several revisions of a generic cover letter. Maybe start looking around at jobs VERY LIGHTLY to get an idea of places you might want to apply Dec 1st, and which you'll leave to later. Balancing sending out job apps with schoolwork is going to stress you out. Instead of studying anything the summer before, I got my resume, generic cover letter, and a draft of a somewhat generic diversity essay in place. When Nov 1 hit and we were allowed to talk to career services, I walked in with my best versions for them to edit and approve, and was very happy I didn't have to figure that out while writing my memo or something.

Any good resources for legal cover letters and resume examples? Just wondering if they are subsantially different/emphasize certain points, especially for 1L when you don't have any grades yet

You'll apply to most places before you get your grades, depending on your school's timeline. (We had 5 weeks between exams and grade release). Check out your school's website, that's what I consulted for mine.

sbl274

Postby sbl274 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 am

Thanks fairy gunner princess. Despite my relative lack of knowledge, this seems like awesome advice~

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am

3|ink wrote:Go to med school instead

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”